Figuring Nutritional Info. for Restaurant Foods

Options
Using My Fitness Pal is great. But how do you figure certain items you get at a restaurant? These are foods that aren't listed in chain restaurants that have their nut. info. posted. For example, I get a "veggie melt." All I know are the items on it but no idea of amount, brand name, etc. I tried Googling "nutr. value of veggie melt" and nothing matches this sandwich. Do I have to then estimate each item individually? Sometimes it takes SO LONG to do that. This one has sourdough bread, boursin cheese, spinach, tomato, onion, basil and avocado spread. Suggestions?

Replies

• StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you know the ingredients and you can eyeball the measurements you can just recreate the recipe under 'Foods' >>'Recipe' and it will break down the nutrients for you.
  • ChelleyCredible
    ChelleyCredible Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out to eat, I check the restaurants website. They give all the nutritional information usually. Sometimes you can also request that information while you are in the restaurant.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find a similar dish already on MFP for a different restaurant. I prefer to do this because usually restaurants use much more oil, butter, and salt in their dishes, than if you made the same dish at home, so using another restaurant's nutritional information for a similar dish would likely be more accurate.

If there is no comparable alternative from another restaurant in the MFP database, than go ahead and individually enter the ingredients.
  • LisaDski521
    Options
    Thanks. Just wanted to save time by not having to figure all the individual ingredients! : :smile: Couldn't find a similar sandwich online. Oh well...now I can buy the ingredients and make it at home! It's a good sandwich!