Interesting and rational take on protein consumption

Options
58Rock
58Rock Posts: 176 Member
This woman is an "advisor" for Livestrong. Not sure of her credentials. However, a rational view on protein consumption I believe. Take aways: Don't go crazy; it all depends on intensity and length of workout, body type and size, etc; unless you are a professional bodybuilder, consuming extremely low carbs and high protein is not really beneficial even if your intent is to gain some muscle mass. A well "balanced" diet is all it takes.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/18/why-should-be-eating-more-carbs/

Replies

• xmeganxtarax
    Options
    I'm actually curious about this. I'm starting a weight lifting program and was reading I should take protein shakes but I'm not sure if I should, doesn't old fashioned protein in food do the same thing? Build muscle?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This isn't a dig at the OP at all:

Since the article didn't make any specific recommendations and only spoke in very, very broad terms without context, I didn't find any of this information useful.

It just said "you probably need more carbs and less protein". And without putting any context to that, it seems silly.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This interests me as well, since even as a middle aged woman doing moderate exercise and not lifting heavy weights, I've had people tell me "more protein". I see older women on my friends list consuming protein shakes, too, and frankly, I just don't get it.

Here's another perspective:

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/the-problem-with-protein.html

ETA: Seriously interested in what people have to say.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    "There's a huge misconception that you just need to load up on protein if you're building muscle,"Levine says. "If you're going for bodybuilding and strength, you really need about 50-50 carbs and proteins. Carbs get such a bad rap that a lot of people minimize them, but that's not what you want to do—you need to consume something after working out that's going to get into your system quickly. Carbohydrates are your body's preferred source of energy and are more easily processed than protein."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/18/why-should-be-eating-more-carbs/#ixzz2ZPG0ymCc

look at my diary...I do what she says here...I eat a lot of protein (approx 1g/lb body mass) the way my 35% carbs, 35% protein (that's 50/50 after fat), and 30% fat macros workout.

Thank you for verifying that an expert agrees with what I have decided is the macro ratio I like to eat anyway.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump to check later....
    I tend to eat higher protein/lower carb because I feel better that way, but have never really looked into it beyond that...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Since the article didn't make any specific recommendations and only spoke in very, very broad terms without context, I didn't find any of this information useful.

It just said "you probably need more carbs and less protein". And without putting any context to that, it seems silly.

^^ plus the "pro bodybuilders eat tons of protein and very low carbs" isn't really correct outside of some people in contest prep so it's really not a good example. Most traditional bodybuilding diets are in fact fairly high carb however the terms high carb etc are completely subjective a low carb diet for me is probably a high carb diet for someone else.

This was far more useful and well researched.
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i actually agree with most of what's said in the article. Especially about the supplements, a well-balanced natural diet is always better than tons of additives and sweeteners in e.g. protein powder.
    however, i do eat a high protein diet. reason being is that i had metabolic typing done and the recommendation for my metabolic type is a high protein, low carb, little fat diet w/ a lot of food restrictions. I have felt a lot better since doing that.

But everyone is different and if your body can take a 40-50-60-whatever% carb diet, you feel good, you have no digestive problems, enough energy and are getting closer to your goal then i don't see anything wrong with it. or say you're an athlete (not a bodybuilder) and clearly need the energy then go for it.

I used to supplement a lot, eat typical ''bodybuilding foods'' and i can say it didn't make me happy or healthy. i might've dropped weight but i didn't feel good. it was just no way for ME to live and enjoy my life
    new findings about increased cancer risks etc from supplements also worry me. all those things just haven't been around long enough.

As always, it's whatever works for you. TRIAL & ERROR is the key to it all and being in the know about your mental & physical health.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

I have to admit that I saw "Fox News" and gave the article a pass, simply being grateful that it wasn't that same sort of bogus fear-mongering article as someone listed in another thread associating Pepsi with fetal stem cells.

But I have to agree that any phrasing such as "you probably need more carbs and less protein" without providing context is pretty darn vague. Compared to what, exactly?
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Still interested in what people have to say about this.
  • mazielinski78
    mazielinski78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find the most useful thing a bit more protein does for me is it makes me feel noticeably fuller so I'm less likely to crave sugary snacks like chocolate etc. I've also noticed being a lot less bloated when I significantly cut down on bread and pasta. All in moderation though I think, any kind of extreme is not the way to go.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ^^ plus the "pro bodybuilders eat tons of protein and very low carbs" isn't really correct outside of some people in contest prep so it's really not a good example. Most traditional bodybuilding diets are in fact fairly high carb however the terms high carb etc are completely subjective a low carb diet for me is probably a high carb diet for someone else.

QFT, those following a keto diet are realistically the ones on a low carb diet. The majority of others are on a "lower carb diet compared to the average person". Most of these carbs are healthy low glycemic variety like brown pasta, rice, 100% whole wheat, oatmeal, and moderate amounts of fruit. It's not really low carb, just low carb compared to the average diet that is mainly high in processed carbs. I follow a ratio of 40/40/20 Protein, fat, carbs. This is for a cutting endomorph as the carb intake is still over 100 grams a day. If I don't maintain my minimum intake of carbs, I get carb depleted very easily during my extensive workouts. These ratios will change when I hit maintenance.

It would also be good to note that the initial article came from GQ and not a fitness source.
  • Blesmols
    Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Her credentials: http://www.livestrong.com/our-advisors/alyse-levine/

I think her certifications mean she holds a masters of science degree and is a registered dietician. :)
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

This was far more useful and well researched.
    [/quote]

Adequate protein is a subjective matter as the amount will differ depending on a person’s activity level, exercise type and physique goals (cutting or bulking). The peer reviewed, published scientific studies agree that approximately 1.2g-2g/kg/day is an adequate amount. Many people tend to perform better, retain more muscle while cutting or are able to maximise muscle gains while bulking with higher intakes of around 2-3g/kg/day. Maintaining muscle mass (in a non hypocaloric state) can be achieved with the lower amount suggested by studies in most individuals. (1.2g/kg/day)

For bulking, I'd aim for the middle of the range so around 1.6g/kg minimum, 25% ish cals from fat and the rest from carbs. You don't need to go crazy with 3g/kg or anything like that IMO but at the end of the day you just need "enough" protein and "enough" calories in total to gain muscle.
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    bump
  • Alphaeater
    Alphaeater Posts: 12
    Options
    Good point, Robdel302. And even then, there are "nutrition experts" who are RD's who say high carb, low protein, low fat is correct; some who say high protein, low carb, low fat' some who say a balanced approach is right (a la 40-30-30); some who say you should eat according to your blood type; you should eat according to the type of exercising you do; you should eat what the Mediterraneans eat; what the Hollywood stars eat; what the paleos ate; only veggies; only dairy; only seeds and nuts; never eat processed foods; only eat my super special frozen food, mailed right to your door, and then have a sensible dinner; eat based on glycemic index; eat based on glycemic load; etc. (Did I forget any?) If, indeed, there is one correct or best way for humans to eat, then the great majority of these credentialed, college-educated, highly-trained people are wrong.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Her credentials: http://www.livestrong.com/our-advisors/alyse-levine/

I think her certifications mean she holds a masters of science degree and is a registered dietician. :)

The OP's article which was posted by a Ren Mcknight of GQ magazine. Although there are no credentials or sources listed there. I can't read the one you posted as it's firewalled here in the Middle East. Apparently askmen.com falls under swimsuit/bikini's and sexuality artices which the military likes to block out here.

In the end, everyone's reslults will vary so the best thing to do is find what works for you and stick to it. The OPs article says the same thing in very subtle ways. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".