Starvation Mode Real or Bogus?

Options
2»

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    i just clicked on your diary and saw a bunch of "quick added calories".

So I'm suspecting you aren't using a food scale, and your deficit is actually unknown.

start measuring your food, see how many cals you have to eat to maintain by keeping records, and work from there.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    christian-bale-machinist.jpg

His diet was an 1 apple and a cup of coffee a day.
  • ForumLurker
    Options

So I'm suspecting you aren't using a food scale, and your deficit is actually unknown.

start measuring your food, see how many cals you have to eat to maintain by keeping records, and work from there.
    ^ Agreed, don't just quick add calories. You need to be accurately logging your food, calories AND your macro and micro nutrients. Invest in a food scale because we have no idea how you are measuring your food, if you even are at all. You could be eating more calories than you think.

Before I got a food scale, I just eyeballed my food measurements and logged it for whatever I thought it was. I was actually eating closer to 3 servings instead of just 1, it can make hundreds of calories worth of difference in the span of a day.

And for the record, no, I don't believe in starvation mode... at least not how it's perceived these days. ie; "if you don't eat every 3 hours your metabolism crashes" "if you don't eat for a day, your body will hold onto fat because your body thinks it's starving" < that's all the biggest crock of s*** that's floating around the internet and fitness magazines.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    All I know is I've been stuck around the same 5 lbs for over a year. I eat right and workout. My body media says I burn 2500 a day. According to that I should have wasted away to nothing by now. I have not. So right now I'm upping my calories. I'm gonna prove it right or wrong. One way or another. I figure what I've done hasn't worked. So I either need to eat more or eat less. So I'll eat more first ;-). Basically I've run out of ideas. I've seen MANY others struggle. So either everyone's lying or off in their measurements or its real. Something real is happening. Is it starvation mode? Metabolic adaptation? I don't even care at this point. I wanna figure it out and fix it.

I'm sorry I know this isn't an answer. More of a commiseration.

Thank you. This is exactly how I feel. Let`s figure this out.

Game on!!!
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bogus. See http://neatbodies.com/?p=823#axzz2ZJSZpuEh

That's not to say it doesn't exist. It's just not something the average dieter ever has to worry about.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options

Right, you might do this too if you counted calories for 3 years and lost no weight. I`m pretty sick of it. 3 years of using MFP. You get this right?
    I have done this in the past, weigh everything, for months at a time. I have an excellent idea of how many calories are in things. Years of calorie counting! Years! Also, cook for family, use lots of vegetables, yadda yadda. If anything, I overestimate by50- 100 at least for each meal.

really, I should say I hate the idea that I must count each food I eat for the rest of my life. That is how long a lifestyle lasts isn`t it. But I wasn`t saying critique my logging method. I am saying
    Do you personally think starvation mode is real or not.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options

Right, I totally see this.

say I diet to 1500-1600 during the week and binge up to 2300 on the weekend one or two days. My average is 1800 and my glucose levels just bounce around. so I lose two kg during the week and gain it back in two days. It`s water. And a vicious cycle.

If I did eat an apple and a cup of coffee a day, I would look like Christian Bale. (that`s him right) But what if I am eating just enough to keep my body functioning on some days, my tdee on one day, and less than my bmr on 3 days a week. If I am eating too little on average why don`t I lose weight?

The difference between having no food, and chronically under eating by a little. Is that what starvation mode is about?
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Right, I totally see this.

say I diet to 1500-1600 during the week and binge up to 2300 on the weekend one or two days. My average is 1800 and my glucose levels just bounce around. so I lose two kg during the week and gain it back in two days. It`s water. And a vicious cycle.

If I did eat an apple and a cup of coffee a day, I would look like Christian Bale. (that`s him right) But what if I am eating just enough to keep my body functioning on some days, my tdee on one day, and less than my bmr on 3 days a week. If I am eating too little on average why don`t I lose weight?

The difference between having no food, and chronically under eating by a little. Is that what starvation mode is about?

Yeah I have no idea how this was supposed to answer your question... Maybe you actually asked "what would happen if Christian bale ate an apple and drank some coffee?"