Sugar from fruit. Is it really bad?

Options
Hey everyone.

On some of my days I am a little over on the sugar.
I am a total fruit addict. Like, I like to eat an orange in the morning and one at night. And I usually eat about 2 apples in between.

MFP tells me it's too much sugar. (Only like 2)

Should I really cut down?

I feel like it's a better sugar source than candy or others which I don't eat at all.

What do ya'll think?

Replies

• greatwestescape
    Options
    Fruit is absolutely fine. You could eat 4 oranges and 4 apples per day and you'd still be fine.

It is refined sugars or syrups that you have to watch out for. E.g. Soft Drinks, Candy, Anything made with corn syrup

If you really want a soft drink, find one that is made with cane sugar. Cant it towards your calories but don't worry about the extra sugars, it takes your body a lot longer to process a raw natural sugar like cane opposed to corn syrups.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The MFP sugar allowable is based on recommendations for added sugar. However, the diary does not discern between natural sugar and added sugar. If you eat your recommended daily fruit, you will probably bust on sugar. Don't worry about it. Unless you have a medical reason to worry about your sugar, it's not worth watching. Many of us have taken it off of our diary pages for that reason.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I actually changed my macros so that it showed me fiber and sodium instead of sugar because i was getting ticked off seeing my sugar in the red every damn day (from fruit)

so just watch your fiber instead. The fiber you get from fruit is a MUCH better benefit for you anyway :-)
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    That's just like asking if hydration from water is bad.

No, but seriously, it's not. I consumed a whole package of fresh blueberries earlier on my own. It's much better than eating a slice of cake with ice cream.
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fructose (fruit sugars) are very different chemically from glucose (grain sugars) and are processed differently in the body.

Essentially, too much fructose in your diet has the same detrimental bodily effects as too much alcohol--and that makes sense because alcohol is made from fermented sugars (wine, anyone?)

Fresh fruit, as opposed to juice or HFCS, has fiber which helps to negate the bad effects of the fructose.

There is an amazing power in understanding the chemistry of food. I'm no scientist, but I'm self-educating to understand why I should avoid too much juice instead of just accepting it because someone on TV said so.

This video is what piqued my interest in the topic (Sugar: The Bitter Truth): http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think as long as its from fresh fruit its fine unless you have a specific problem with balancing your sugars (ie diabetic etc).
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat my former body weight in fruit every day... okay, maybe a slight exaggeration.

I disabled sugar from my macros anyway as nearly all my sugar comes from pure fruit. From what I've seen on MFP over the time I've been here you don't need to worry about it unless you have a medical condition.

Eat more fruit! :D
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    Just a small correction. There is no BAD EFFECT of fructose from consuming whole fruit unless you're eating 5 mangoes in a row (or other high fructose fruits). There is a rate limiting factor for complex sugars that prevents huge spikes in blood sugar levels. The fiber slows down digestion, thus sugar absorption. There is a difference configuration of sugars after pasteurization and processing along with the acidity of the substance which helps allows easier cleaving.

Hard fruits like apples you really don't have to worry about ... oranges are fine too! Tropical fruits like mangoes, pineapple have much higher levels of fructose, so avoid those :)

You can't compare too much fruit to too much alcohol, it isn't even a remote comparison.
    Fructose (fruit sugars) are very different chemically from glucose (grain sugars) and are processed differently in the body.

Essentially, too much fructose in your diet has the same detrimental bodily effects as too much alcohol--and that makes sense because alcohol is made from fermented sugars (wine, anyone?)

Fresh fruit, as opposed to juice or HFCS, has fiber which helps to negate the bad effects of the fructose.

There is an amazing power in understanding the chemistry of food. I'm no scientist, but I'm self-educating to understand why I should avoid too much juice instead of just accepting it because someone on TV said so.

This video is what piqued my interest in the topic (Sugar: The Bitter Truth): http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just a small correction. There is no BAD EFFECT of fructose from consuming whole fruit unless you're eating 5 mangoes in a row. There is a rate limiting factor for complex sugars that prevents huge spikes in blood sugar levels. The fiber slows down digestion, thus sugar absorption. There is a difference configuration of sugars after pasteurization and processing which effectively allows the body to skip a step when processing. Further things like corn syrup are even simpler forms which cause spikes in blood sugar levels not because of the lack of fiber but because of the simplest forms do not have rate limiting factors.

Hard fruits like apples you really don't have to worry about. Tropical fruits like mangoes, pineapple have much higher levels of glucose.

You can't compare too much fruit to too much alcohol, it isn't even a remote comparison.

Pardon me, but I provided a link to a video explaining all of the statements I made...did you watch it?

Please do not "correct" me and then demonstrate your lack of knowledge by saying that pineapple and mangoes have glucose---no, they contain fructose. Those sugars ARE different.

I promise that if you check it out for yourself, you will be surprised at how different glucose and fructose are processed by the body. :)

PS--I see you amended your statement. I'm sticking to my guns about the effects of too much fructose (of which fresh fruit is not a concern)--it's juice and HFCS that cause problems that are equally as damaging as over consuming alcohol over the course of time.

No hard feelings, okay? :)
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    I edited it right after i posted - i do apologize I'm coming off a 14 hour shift.

Glucose and Fructose are processed very differently in the body indeed. Most studies that look at HFCS, pure fructose, pure glucose and take other source absorptions into account (e.g. whole fruit) or cane sugar products do not account for the realities of the the day to day diet. You just don't see the the same spikes when you eat fruit compared to HFCS.

For example, drink a can of coca-cola (25g of fructose or around ~65%) vs juice 2.5 medium apples or eating 2.5 medium apples. You will not see the the same spike in blood sugars despite the fact that you have consumed 25g of total fructose from both sources. You would need to consume nearly 5 apples in order to seem the same spike. In the morning, ill find and post a link to the recent meta-analysis of the studies in this regard.

I see your amended comment now >_<

HFCS = BAD, JUICE = BAD

Juice is bad because it is in a highly acidic environment an on top of that pasteurization & processing changes the conformation of the sugar (easier absorption). Ill watch the video tomorrow, but right now i cannot logically accept the argument of the comparison between fructose & alcohol based on my education (BSc Biochemistry & Chemistry - Organic). Saying this, I am not denying the secondary health implications HFCS and consumptions of fruit juices have on children & adults with unhealthy eating habits & inactivity.

PS - no hurt feelings. Like i said, late at night. I felt really stupid when i said it was glucose before i even saw your post! That's what long nights will do to you! I'd rather be corrected and have to go back, then have complete misinformation out there!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ... i cannot logically accept the argument of the comparison between fructose & alcohol based on my education (BSc Biochemistry & Chemistry - Organic).

Quite recent science indicates there is a similar hit on the liver.

Hepatology. 2013 Jun;57(6):2525-31. doi: 10.1002/hep.26299. Epub 2013 May 1.
    Dietary fructose in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
    Vos MB, Lavine JE.

Abstract

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common chronic liver disease in adults and children. A number of genetic and environmental factors are known to predispose individuals to NAFLD. Certain dietary sugars, particularly fructose, are suspected to contribute to the development of NAFLD and its progression. The increasing quantity of fructose in the diet comes from sugar additives (most commonly sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) in beverages and processed foods. Substantial links have been demonstrated between increased fructose consumption and obesity, dyslipidemia, and insulin resistance. Growing evidence suggests that fructose contributes to the development and severity of NAFLD. In human studies, fructose is associated with increasing hepatic fat, inflammation, and possibly fibrosis. Whether fructose alone can cause NAFLD or if it serves only as a contributor when consumed excessively in the setting of insulin resistance, positive energy balance, and sedentary lifestyle is unknown. Sufficient evidence exists to support clinical recommendations that fructose intake be limited through decreasing foods and drinks high in added (fructose-containing) sugars. (HEPATOLOGY 2013;57:2525-2531).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23390127
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A question- my evening dessert is two cups of mixed berries, 2 packets of Stevia, one packet of Truvia, so of course, with adding the sugar contained in field grains, nuts, and Balsamic vinegar, I am at about 40 grams of "sugar" every day.

I can sometimes lower it a little with exercise, but I'd like that number to reflect the fact that I eat NO added sugar. Any suggestions?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just a small correction. There is no BAD EFFECT of fructose from consuming whole fruit unless you're eating 5 mangoes in a row. There is a rate limiting factor for complex sugars that prevents huge spikes in blood sugar levels. The fiber slows down digestion, thus sugar absorption. There is a difference configuration of sugars after pasteurization and processing which effectively allows the body to skip a step when processing. Further things like corn syrup are even simpler forms which cause spikes in blood sugar levels not because of the lack of fiber but because of the simplest forms do not have rate limiting factors.

Hard fruits like apples you really don't have to worry about. Tropical fruits like mangoes, pineapple have much higher levels of glucose.

Pardon me, but I provided a link to a video explaining all of the statements I made...did you watch it?

Please do not "correct" me and then demonstrate your lack of knowledge by saying that pineapple and mangoes have glucose---no, they contain fructose. Those sugars ARE different.

I promise that if you check it out for yourself, you will be surprised at how different glucose and fructose are processed by the body. :)

PS--I see you amended your statement. I'm sticking to my guns about the effects of too much fructose (of which fresh fruit is not a concern)--it's juice and HFCS that cause problems that are equally as damaging as over consuming alcohol over the course of time.

No hard feelings, okay? :)

Seriously? All fruit have a combination of fructose and glucose.

It's all about context and dosage.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/139/6/1219S.full
    Misconceptions about High-Fructose Corn Syrup: Is It Uniquely Responsible for Obesity, Reactive Dicarbonyl Compounds, and Advanced Glycation Endproducts?1,2
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    So glad for this thread. I am a fruit fanatic. Especially now that its summer. Necterines and peaches and strawberries/blueberries and apples you name it. I too was discouraged seeing my sugar in the red every day. Thank you all for the encouragement.
  • Marid2303
    Marid2303 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a question.

Is there a way to counter sugars in my diet? I just had a Naked Juice and now I've gone over my daily allowance of sugar. Naked Juice seems not to have refined sugar in it, does that make any difference?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For myself I watch the total carbs and don't worry too much about sugar from whole fruits, but count from juice. The fructose is bound up with dietary fibre and is released more slowly so doesn't cause the "rapid insulin spike". This is why eating sugary fruits is better for your teeth than say a soda with the same sugar content. Juice is different to whole fruit as the fructose has been released.

Just some points to consider:

All sugars are carbs/ all carbs are sugars

Fructose, Glucose are simple sugars, monosaccharide ( mono= one , saccharides = sugar) That is they are just one molecule of sugar. The molecular formula of both is C6H12O6 (that's 6 atoms of carbon, 12 of hydrogen and 6 of oxygen), however there is a slightly different arrangement of each atom within the molecule. Because they are simple sugars (small, one molecule) they both pass through the gut wall easily and enter the blood stream rapidly . When eating whole fruits it takes longer to release the sugars as stated above.

Lactose (milk sugar) and sucrose (cane sugar you put in coffee) are disaccharides ( di = two, two monosaccharides joined together). Lactose is one molecule of glucose and one molecule of galactose, sucrose is one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose. The two molecules in both are joined together by a glycosidic bond. As these are larger molecules they can't pass through the gut in this state (to big). Enzymes are responsible for breaking the glycosidic bond in a process called hydrolysis, thus forming two monosaccharides. In the case of lactose the enzyme that breaks it down is lactase. People who are lactose intolerant are deficient in the enzyme lactase as a result the lactose sits in the gut undigested. This causes water to enter the gut (osmosis) and gives people diarrhea.

Starch is complex carb, or polysaccharide (poly = many). Essentially its a long chain of glucose molecules which are broken into a disaccharide called maltose (two glucose molecules) then into glucose before being digested. This takes the longest hence no insulin spike.

Once the monsaccharides (from now on glucose) pass through the gut they enter the blood stream. Cells can use this directly as an energy source. If it's not used the pancreas detects the rise of blood sugar levels and releases the hormone insulin. Insulin stimulates the liver to turn glucose into a form that can be stored in the liver, thus reducing the blood sugar levels to a normal level. The amount of insulin released depends on how much sugar is in the blood. Large amounts cause the spike This is homeostasis, it's basically trying to return to a balanced state (another example would be sweating to cool down). If blood sugar is too low then a hormone called glucagon is released and that stimulates the liver to release some of the stored glucose. thus raising the blood sugar levels back to normal.

Carbs are the energy source that drives all our cells. It's required in respiration (energy production).

So there you have it, clear as mud. I hope it isn't written in a condescending manner, I'm just aware many people have never studied science to this level. I think I've laid out a pretty basic model of what's going on, not to say an expert may in reality say that's mostly true but it's more complex than that...

It doesn't really answer the OP's question but I hope it's given some understanding of what's going on. Like I said I happily eat fruit in it's whole form and just watch my overall carb intake. I'm not telling anyone else how/what to eat that's up to you.

There are some studies out there that different sugars have different effects on the body but I don't know so won't put them here but if you are interested look them up.

Finally I'd add if you want to look into this yourself I'd recommend scholar.google.co.uk to make sure you read proper peer reviewed articles rather than just what's out there on the net. I imagine if you do research this you'd find arguments for and against!

references:
    My head
    Old college text books
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros to show calories carbs fat protein calcium and iron because my sugar is 95% from fruits and natural whole foods. I eat very very little processed sugar, and that's what matters. I work instead to keep my protein calcium and iron up instead!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    +1 to the sugar fearmongers making things up
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Fruit = YUM! HEALTHY! DELICIOUS!

And to the berry lady who needed to add fake sugar... why? Berries should be sweet enough without it! ;)