Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I dunno, like 5?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a fan of Crossfit. It is very expensive, and the exercise routines are too extreme for most people.

While it's true they can "scale down" the workout, who wants to be in a gym where the majority of participants are mancho tough guys, and you are just wanting to get in a reasonable workout? Crossfit would make most people feel like a first grader trying to compete with college kids. Because of the extreme nature of the workouts, Crossfit participants tend to have more injuries than people involved with more reasonable workout programs. And if you get injured, your exercise options will be very limited until you heal.

For the vast majority of the population that wants to get fit, there are much better options out there than Crossift. Check out thee YMCA and other local gyms that offer group classes and personal trainers.

If you already paid the membership fee at a Crossfit gym, I hope they will give you a refund if you change your mind!

Any time I have ever looked up a thread regarding Crossfit you are there bashing it!! If you don't think Crossfit is for you, cool, don't do Crossfit. Why are you making it your MFP mission to find every thread related to Crossfit and complain that it is unsafe?? We are all adults who make our own decisions about what type of workouts we want to participate in. YOU go join the YMCA, let the people who want to do Crossfit do Crossfit!!!

Have you gotten your welcome "crossfit is evil" PM from that poster yet?

OP - HRMs won't be accurate either. A great explanation of why
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

You could log it as circuit training.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I dunno, like 5?

at least.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Damn Dav, I followed you here and it's an old thread.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i got duped
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lol@jillian's opinion on anything exercise related. 30DS is how Olympic athletes prepare, I guess.

Re: exercise calories, every day is different, plus there is more time spent learning than training, typically. You can mark it down as circuit training, but it can get iffy depending on the wod.

An hrm would do you about zero good, Btw.

^this

And some of the strength/drill work and even the warm-ups sometimes are not an immaterial calorie burn. And the WODs could easily vary by a factor of 3-5.

Example:

Tomorrow's WOD:

Single, AMRAP in 8mins of:
    3 Hang Squat Cleans (#135/95)
    6 Toes to Bar
    9 Push-Ups (scale up ring push-ups)

2min rest

In teams of 2, complete AMRAP in 10 minutes of:
    5 C2B/Pull-Ups/ring rows
    10 Burpees over barbell
    (One person working at a time, complete full round)

3 min rest

In teams of 4 complete AMRAP in 15 minutes of:
    25m Prowler Push(#180/90) + 50m Sprint
    (One person working at a time, complete full round)

Previous WOD:
    7 min AMRAP 7 wb (20#), 7 burpees)

Huge difference between these two.

Edit: the word "yet" didn't belong in that sentence.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

I guess no one in the world gives the HRM companies any credit for being able to develop a device that comes close to measuring this. Hey, it may not be perfect, but what other method can a home user utilize for around $50. Its cheaper than filling up my damn gas tank these days.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/heart-rate-training/can-a-heart-rate-monitor-really-tell-you-how-many-calories-youve-burnt#.Uec5K234rF0

(This was 4 years ago. I will make the assumption they have made some progress within the last four years.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I guess no one in the world gives the HRM companies any credit for being able to develop a device that comes close to measuring this. Hey, it may not be perfect, but what other method can a home user utilize for around $50. Its cheaper than filling up my damn gas tank these days.

http://www.trifuel.com/training/heart-rate-training/can-a-heart-rate-monitor-really-tell-you-how-many-calories-youve-burnt#.Uec5K234rF0

(This was 4 years ago. I will make the assumption they have made some progress within the last four years.)

There are models that do but they are extremely pricey. Your average HRM is designed for steady state cardio.
    I dont' see the point of spending even $50 if it isn't really any more accurate than free online calculators.

ETA - to clarfiy - don't see the point of buying one for calorie estimates, there are other uses for a HRM.
  • hidzlosingit
    hidzlosingit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Cross Fit!!!! There's my 2 cents~~:drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I love Cross Fit!!!! There's my 2 cents~~:drinker:

Making a post like that used to result in receiving a letter from an MFP member enumerating the many terrifying dangers of crossfit. Let us know if you receive one...

...(says the guy currently icing his forearm/elbow for a sore tendon. =P)
  • jrussoalesi
    jrussoalesi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I second the heart Rate monitor because some days will be METCON's where your heart rate will be through the roof and other days you will lift weights slowly trying to get to a One Rep Max, it varies too much to try to guess.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Honestly, I'm not certain that your assumption is correct. While there have no doubt been numerous bells and whistles added in that time, I don't know that the accuracy of the units to determine calories burned for novel (non-steady state activity) has improved. The problem, as I see it, is that the correlation between heart rate and calories burned is not that strong for non-steady state activities. Well, I mean, it *is* for a particular person for a particular activity for a particular period of time...but that it differs (sometimes substantially) for changes to these variables. That said, I can see a HRM being useful to a person to gauge *relative* levels of exertion/work/calories burned, but not necessarily for a specific number value.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have been using "circuit training" as the exercise when I log my calories burned during CrossFit. I think that no matter what you use when you log, as long as you are consistent with your choices you will see a positive result.

You can count me among those that really enjoy CrossFit. I was feeling burned out at my regular gym and CrossFit has been a nice change of pace. I have worked out at two different CrossFit gyms and my experiences at both gyms were and continue to be positive.

As for the stories about a trainer pushing you too hard or being unsafe, that could happen in any personal training or class setting, it is certainly not exclusive to CrossFit. Remember; just because a trainer is telling you to do something, you don't have to do it. You are paying them, they work for you.
  • jerrybeagle123
    jerrybeagle123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing CF for over 3 years. I have not yet had one injury. When I was running long distances I constantly had sore hips/knees/ankles. I understand CF isn't for everyone, there is no need to bag it because it isn't your thing. Running/swimming/yoga/gym classes aren't my thing, if it is yours that is awesome. Anything that gets people up and off the couch is good. Like someone said, you do need to go through accreditation in order to be a CF affiliate. My trainers are excellent and have been a wealth of knowledge and I am the strongest I have ever been at age 40.
    All that aside, I want to get a heart rate monitor as I am curious as to how many calories are burnt during the workouts. Sounds like the Polar ones might be worth a go!
  • sesko1961
    sesko1961 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just started crossfit last month ... LOVE IT! I am never pushed "past my limit," in fact, I stop when I feel the need and get the encouragement when I do (Good to know your body and it's limits). I am also offered nutritional advice by a certified nutritionist - apparently I am not eating or drinking enough, which causes my blood sugar to get too low - my trainers noticed. I have also wondered how many calories I am burning .. I sure do sweat! Thank You ALL who continue crossfit and posted positive things, because those are the same things I've seen from my trainers/facility. As some put it .. "to each his own." Celebrate and enjoy life your way!

PS I am 52 years old and CF is for me :)
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    People who haven't even tried Crossfit really need to stop bashing it. If you're a newbie to working out then maybe you should ease into exercise first, but nobody at the Crossfit box puts a gun to your head and forces you to do anything. They don't want you to get hurt anymore than you do. A bad trainer is a bad trainer no matter who they work for, period. Ultimately YOU are responsible if YOU push past YOUR limits and get injured!! In my experience, it's hands down the most effective workout program I've ever done and I've tried just about EVERYTHING!!

There's definitely truth to the fact that high intensity training elevates your metabolism to where you are burning calories for up to 24-36 hours AFTER exertion. That being said, I still wanted a baseline number to enter into the app to figure cals burned. I found this site which seems to have pretty decent info specific to Crossfit.

http://www.mycaloriesburned.com/crossfit-calories-burned/

Crossfit Calories Burned – Slow Pace
    If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 207 calories burned doing crossfit per hour
    If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 246 calories burned per hour
    If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 286 calories burned per hour
    If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 326 calories burned per hour

Crossfit Calories Burned – Fast Pace
    If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 472 calories burned doing crossfit per hour
    If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 563 calories burned per hour
    If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 654 calories burned per hour
    If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 745 calories burned per hour

Nicely said, we start a crossfit myth thread, there is so much BS or uninformed comments it deserves a crossfit myth thread
    - I like the one that it's bad for your joints, where in reality it's strengthen your joints, if you are trying to recover from a joint exercise it will speed recovery. Full motion at weights you can handle or even no weight. Your pace.
  • ladycop52
    Options
    I have been crossfitting for over a year. I am shocked by the amount of people who bash it. I have never been injured doing it, I'm in the best shape of my life and have amazing trainers. If I push myself beyond my limit its because I made myself do it, my coaches did not. All crossfit trainers have to be certified to coach. Crossfit can be scaled to every ability and anyone can do it. Is it a hard rigorous workout? Of course it is, but that's what working out should be. Also, this whole thing about only men do it and its only for strong macho people is crap. There are more female then men at my box and those females can lift more than most guys I know. Is crossfit for everyone? No it's not. Some people just done like that type of workout. Is it expensive? Yes but so is going out to dinner, shopping and vacations. It's depends on what your priorities are. If your going to bash crossfit you should try it first, you may be surprised that it is not what you expected. My 62year old mother in law just started and she loves. Anyone can do it!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the WOD and how intense you are, I would recommend a HRM, which is what I do.

In regards to Jillian Michaels, I find it hard to believe Bob Harper does a WOD routine and then struggles to do a circuit training, load a crap. Also, whoever said get a trainer obviously has never looked into a trainer, they charge by the hour, and some session are like $50 and that is only one class. The box is way cheaper.

Also, unless you have tried it, don't speak about it. We can all get hurt no matter what form of exercise we do. How do runners pull a hamstring, or dancer tear their Achilles. There is risk in everything we do. Crossfit is no greater than anything. Most people who complain were just too weak to complete it, so have to talk crap instead.

I know there may be some bad box, just as though their are crappy gyms, with no guidance, and crappy trainers. My box is awesome, they start you off in the Foundation class, and you are in that class until they are certain you can move into the regular classes.

Good luck with your cross fit, let the haters hate...
  • turtlemomma
    Options
    I record mine under cardio, just because I entered my own title for the type of exercise. I wore a heart rate monitor for about two weeks to 8 different workouts, and burned at least 600 calories in a 60 minute period. But, I'm a big girl...
  • allisonlawler
    Options
    I've been Crossfitting for almost 7 yrs and it's my healthy addiction! I've never been injured. It is more expensive but is worth it as it's more like small group personal training versus a globo gym. Before Crossfit, I wasn't pushing myself to work out well and I lacked motivation. With Crossfit I am very motivated and enjoy pushing myself to improve. Crossfit is something I hope to do for the rest of my life! There are other exercises and programs, obviously, but for those who need motivating, Crossfit fits the bill.