WTheck; Who said RUN outside!!!! Horrible..... :(

Options
Hello Everyone:

So yesterday I received wonderful advice about doing a 5k in two months. Well a lot of people recommended that should start running lil by lil outside to get used to being out running. WOW!!!! That was the most excruciating pain. I felt like I was hunched over. The running and walking was painful. The running part was Terrible, I felt like that was my 1st time running in MY life! :(

Is it always going to be like this? Today I woke up feeling like day 1 of working out, terribly sore and feeling like my knees and front of my legs were killing me!

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It gets better :) check your gait-you get regulated on a treadmill, so without the confined space ypur gait can change.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a lot harder than running on a treadmill!!! But that soreness means you are working different muscles, and are getting closer to your goal of doing a 5k because you can't do a 5k on a treadmill! Make sure you have good shoes, and take it slow. It will get easier!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is my "gait"?
  • BayBay1956
    BayBay1956 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When you are first starting out, you must start slow. NO, it will not always hurt, every day you will get stronger and stronger. When I first started, I walked a pole (light pole) and ran a pole. That was in May of this year. Now I can run laps 4, 8, and 12 of a 3-mile walk without stopping. I love it!!!!!

Good luck and don't give up!!!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Nice....that is great to know bc the pain I was having I was crying :sad: like a baby! lol...It was painful, but I want so badly to be able to run outside (on the inside I envy those runners I see outside :) ) Hoping it'll be better!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Go slow and get some good running shoes. Look into getting the c25k app on your smartphone (if you have one). It'll train you for running a 5k.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    I do have it and I will put it to use! Thanks
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hope you feel better...for me it's just the opposite. Being on a treadmill hurts my knees and hips way more than walking/running outside...also, for me, I feel like a hamster on a wheel.

I know you are experienced at running (at least inside), but the C25K is a great suggestion. Also, your gait is how you walk/run...i.e. your pace (maybe you are going a little faster or slower than you do on a treadmill)...I think maybe your stride may be affecting you too (pain wise). Not to be insulting, but if you didn't know: your stride is how far apart you place your feet running/walking. A longer stride can cause more aches/pain, so pay attention to that too next time you go out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a lot harder than running on a treadmill!!!

Personally disagree, but that's me.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. You just have to stick to your guns. If you want something you've never had you're going to have to do something you've never done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone:

So yesterday I received wonderful advice about doing a 5k in two months. Well a lot of people recommended that should start running lil by lil outside to get used to being out running. WOW!!!! That was the most excruciating pain. I felt like I was hunched over. The running and walking was painful. The running part was Terrible, I felt like that was my 1st time running in MY life! :(

Is it always going to be like this? Today I woke up feeling like day 1 of working out, terribly sore and feeling like my knees and front of my legs were killing me!

Suggestions?

Thanks.

This is exactly why people told you to run outside. You have to actually deal with the same elements...wind, changes in temp, elevation changes, uneven surfaces, etc as you would during a real race. Training on a treadmill is akin to training with a machine for weight lifting...squatting on a machine is 100% different than squatting free.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slower it's the best advice I ever had. Even if it seems too slow speed will come in time
  • Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I transitioned from running on the treadmill to outside, it was a lot harder and I hated it, at first. But, it got easier the more I did it, and now, I can't stand running on a treadmill. I found that when I checked my form and made sure I was running correctly (not hunching over), it also helped a lot. Just wait till you start running hills. I used to hate them, but now I love running up a hill just to feel the thrill of racing down it. :)

Good luck with your 5K!
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It does get easier! If it hurts, it might be that you're pushing your body too hard too soon - thy slowing down, or try a workout that alternates between running and walking. Soon it will feel better!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets better... and that's part of the fun! As long as your pains feel like muscle soreness and not any kind of acute injury, you're good to go. Just follow the C25K app (I've never done it, but many others on here really like it) and make sure you're in a good pair of running shoes (where good means you've gone to a specialty running store and been fitted for them)... don't try to do too much, too soon, and you'll be running with ease in no time!

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • somewhereondearth
    somewhereondearth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hope you feel better...for me it's just the opposite. Being on a treadmill hurts my knees and hips way more than walking/running outside...also, for me, I feel like a hamster on a wheel.

I know you are experienced at running (at least inside), but the C25K is a great suggestion. Also, your gait is how you walk/run...i.e. your pace (maybe you are going a little faster or slower than you do on a treadmill)...I think maybe your stride may be affecting you too (pain wise). Not to be insulting, but if you didn't know: your stride is how far apart you place your feet running/walking. A longer stride can cause more aches/pain, so pay attention to that too next time you go out.

Nicely said. I would suggest to look into some running technique videos (toe, midfoot, posture) just to make sure. As everybody said GO slow and oh yes, stretch!
  • pearsonadam
    Options
    I've built up from not being able to run 2 kms, to running half marathons. I wasn't overweight then, but I just wasn't conditioned.

Play around with what feels comfortable. Many different strategies.
    -shorten stride and take more steps (quicker cadence)
    -slow your overall speed, don't be in a rush when running
    -Run for 1 min, walk for 2...adjust as necessary and slowly build-up to running continously
    -I think someone mentioned good shoes... my shoes cost $130-$160 because of my running pattern and weight. Go to a running stores that specializes.
    -Plan your route before hand so you have a goal. When I run aimlessly, I feel more fatigued and want to stop running sooner.
    -Music!
    -Don't run everyday, take adequate breaks (1 day or more).

Good luck...
  • lupizzle00
    lupizzle00 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just found this out myself! LOL I have a treadmill at home and for me the difference is my pace. On the treadmill I was able to set a pace at 5.5mph and run about 5-8 minutes non stop (I'm a beginner) which was a victory for me. My husband and I are doing our first 5k in about 2 weeks so we've been training outside and I was sore in the beginning, I couldn't breef (breathe), and I lost count how many bugs I swallowed but little by little I am getting better. I have knee pain at times so for me to run on concrete was a challenge. I bought a knee brace and after a few weeks I was able to run without it. Slowly but surely it will get better. Good luck!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a lot harder than running on a treadmill!!!

Personally disagree, but that's me.

I diagree as well. I think having a machine set my speed is too much for me to handle. Outside I speed up and slow down a million times over depending on the hill, road condition, traffic, blah blah, blah..... I still maintin 11 minute miles overall but I can't do that pace steady for 3 miles. You will get used to the change and you will LOVE running outside! :bigsmile:
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I agree that your body need to get used to the extra pounding outside.

Another thing to think about is the heat... If you are running in hot weather, take some water with you. I've read that you should slow down about 30 seconds per mile for each 5 degrees above 60, so if you're running in 80 degree weather, you should slow your pace about two minutes per mile. The heat can really do a number on even a seasoned runner.

Best wishes!