Increase in Physical Activity = Increase in Weight?

Options
This week, I decided to up my physical activity with the intent of getting myself to 92.5lbs lost by mid-August, which will be my "half-way-to-goal" mark. I began the Couch to 5K program and resumed the bodyweight training I had done for a while several months ago. So far, I've gained 3.7 lbs since Monday. How does that even make sense.

Replies

• vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks into the 30 day shred & within my first week I went up 3lbs & the next week I was down 3 1/2lbs...It's weird how our bodies work, but I wouldn't give up. I guess our bodies, need to adjust to the change :)
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No answers here, but I'm in the same boat.
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing and since I've plateaued. From what I've read, it's retained water weight as your muscles repair from the extra workouts. I've been plateaued for about 4 weeks now but I upped my workouts about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I increased my water intake and am varying my calories a little bit to mix things up. I'm sticking with my workouts and hopefully, from all I've read, this should help me blast through it. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see an increase on the scale when you start or increase an exercise routine because your body floods sore muscles with water and glycogen to help cushion and repair them.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS really getting into the "the time for this weight to leave is NOW" kinda feeling and then, three days into it and I was 2kg HEAVIER!! 5 days into it and I was 3kg HEAVIER!! kept doing it, and it's all gone off again :P I read about it being normal as your body stores more water when adapting to a new hard work out, but it will all come right off once your body adapts.

Don't give up :flowerforyou:
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me when I start working out. I believe it's your muscles holding onto water/glycogen or something like that. I think it's something that goes away over time. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in on the matter!
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    Most likely water retention, it happens when I suddenly up my activity from the usual stuff I do.

Give your body a couple weeks to get used to the new routine and I'm sure the weight will start dropping again.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to shift your mind, I'm still trying to let go of the number on the scale, but track your inches over your weight. Muscle weighs a lot, and if you're working out, hopefully you're building muscle (which is good! It burns more calories and your fat faster)
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have weeks like this too and they are so frustrating! And then all of a sudden I will drop and feel really good :) Might be the type of exercise you are doing....when I lift I don't see the scale move but when I do all cardio, I lose. Also, look at your diet what foods could be contributing? Sugar or carbs? For me it's SUGAR! YUCK!

Great topic, I'll be following to learn from others who also struggle with this!!
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone, and especially for that link you provided, naterciarodri. I'm going to try my best not to get overly frustrated and hang in there with my current activity level for a few weeks and hopefully my weight will start dropping again at that point.
  • amandarama_
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing, but add in a few more factors and my scale has gone UP 11.5 pounds in one week.

Just stick it out and let your body adjust. Don't focus on the number in the meantime, focus on how much more energy you have and on how good it feels.

And congrats on the 80 pounds so far!
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just an update: I've lost almost all of what was gained last week (only 0.2lbs left) and completed Week 2 Day 1 of C25K today, so I'm calling it a win. Patience is definitely the key. Thanks again, everyone!