Nausea- help!

Options
Hi there,

It's not a recurring problem but sometimes I feel a little nauseous during the day. My old habit was to munch on saltines or other high carb things like toast and have a glass of ginger ale or coke etc but I feel like that's wasted calories since I'm definitely not hungry. Does anyone have any low cal/carb suggestions of things that might help with my occasional queasiness?

Replies

• ForumLurker
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about this recurring nausea? Does it have an underlying cause?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Instead of ginger ale, you can put a small piece of fresh ginger and a teaspoon of honey in a mug and add boiling water. It is ready to drink after just a few minutes and doesn't have a ton of calories. There are also some really good ginger-lemon teas out on the market if you don't even want the honey calories.

If you find the saltines and toast help, and this isn't a recurring problem, then it may be worth it to just have the extra calories on those days and cut calories elsewhere.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    CRACKERS
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have ADD and must take medicine on the days I work or I'll be a hot mess and I think that's what causes the upset. Not always though. I'm pretty good about taking it with food etc but there are just some days that it doesn't seem to sit right... could be mild dehydration too. In any case, once it starts I'm not really up for drinking a huge glass of water LOL I'll try the ginger idea. Sounds yummy!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You know how sometimes there are crackers/breads lined up in the Deli section of grocery stores? Go look through those. I found some there when I wanted a cheese/cracker day that were 50 cals for 7 crackers. They were really thin but it would give you some carbs. There were a few other brands that were a little higher but similar.
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    I have ADD and must take medicine on the days I work or I'll be a hot mess and I think that's what causes the upset. Not always though. I'm pretty good about taking it with food etc but there are just some days that it doesn't seem to sit right... could be mild dehydration too. In any case, once it starts I'm not really up for drinking a huge glass of water LOL I'll try the ginger idea. Sounds yummy!
    I have ADD as well and was prescribed Adderall, is this what you're taking?
    The ginger and honey thing sounds like an idea, but if you're in a pinch, try diet ginger ale.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Sometimes meds like that can cause nausea. Might be reflux instead of nausea. Have you noticed that it's worse or better on certain days and do those days correspond with your food diary? (e.g. Had 3 cups of coffee for breakfast on the same day I felt sick...)

If your doctor can't fix it, there are a few other things you can try:

- Make your own ginger beer concentrate - this way you can control the sugar. I think the last batch we made came to 56 cals a serving versus the 190 for a can. There are recipes online.

- Ginger comes in powdered capsule form. I pop a few of these before riding in the ambulance. I sit in the back and get pukey sometimes.

The thing with ginger though is if you have TOO much of it in your system, it can complicate surgery, should you schedule it. Something to do with thinning the blood if I recall correctly.

Probiotic tablets might help too, depending on what's making your tummy angry.

Feel better.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Ginger ale for me is the best soother on Fridays when I take my nausea-inducing medication. I found a zero calorie kind at Whole Foods that's sweetened with Stevia. It takes a bit to get used to the different sweet flavor, but now I can't drink other kinds of soda. (The ginger root beer is really good, too.)
  • dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I suffer my self on occasion. Try simple breathing in though the nose out through the mouth. Sucking on a peppermint candy or camomile tea or diet ginger ale's not bad..... Good luck ????