Fixing the whys/emotional eating

Options
Last night as I read through the boards, I starting thinking that I need more help with dealing with the whys or motivation of emotional eating and follow through. Recently, I have been battling depression because of my job and personal relationships and fell into old patterns and comfort food.

The reality is that life happens and I want to break the cycle. I am looking into professional counseling but I am a bit anxious about it.

So, I am wondering how do others address this issue. It is just willpower that I am lacking or are there strategies that are successful to reset your mindset as well as your metabolism?

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I found that I would distract myself with some new challenge.

Like right now I am challenging myself to make a cosplay costume for next year (Twil'lek sith)
    another would be to make a plan for the month, plan your workout.

I also try week challenges (1 week without eating out, 1 week without sweets, 1 week workout everyday)

you are not alone in this. just get back on the horse and keep ridding =)
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the question. Right now I am dealing with the same problems from different reasons. I very much appreciate the response that was given.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I also try week challenges (1 week without eating out, 1 week without sweets, 1 week workout everyday)

Do you mean a whole week fast? More power to you, I don't think I could do it. I like the challenges idea though. Keeps your mind off it. I have found that just changing my mindset on how I deal with my emotions helps too. Like food is not what i do when I am feeling XXX. I go for a walk or start a new crafting project or anything that isn't eating.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I Know from experience that A LOT of emotional eating/issues are created from negative SELF talk, a lot of the time it doesn't even have to do with what other people think/say/feel about you, but how you think about yourself and talk to yourself. Making the effort to switch your thought process from negative to positive can make a huge difference. It can change how you feel, your mood, your outlook on life, and can even change how you react to pain.
    Try This:
    Sit down and make a list of all the negative thigs that you say to yourself on a regular... even daily basis. Examples: I can't do that, I'm fat, etc. Then come up with a way to take that thought and make it positive. Example: negative thought- I can't lose weight to a positive- I have made changes x,y,z and I am going to get to my goal weight. Actively do this for a week and notice if there's a change.

At first it'll probably feel cheesy and you'll have to remind yourself a lot. But if you stick with it it can really make a huge difference in everything that you do.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I Know from experience that A LOT of emotional eating/issues are created from negative SELF talk, a lot of the time it doesn't even have to do with what other people think/say/feel about you, but how you think about yourself and talk to yourself. Making the effort to switch your thought process from negative to positive can make a huge difference. It can change how you feel, your mood, your outlook on life, and can even change how you react to pain.
    Try This:
    Sit down and make a list of all the negative thigs that you say to yourself on a regular... even daily basis. Examples: I can't do that, I'm fat, etc. Then come up with a way to take that thought and make it positive. Example: negative thought- I can't lose weight to a positive- I have made changes x,y,z and I am going to get to my goal weight. Actively do this for a week and notice if there's a change.

At first it'll probably feel cheesy and you'll have to remind yourself a lot. But if you stick with it it can really make a huge difference in everything that you do.

This. Especially the part about how you talk to yourself. Think about how you would talk to your best friend... Would you talk to her the way you talk to yourself? If not, then stop saying it to yourself! You are worth more than that.

Also cbt tends to be great for depression and changing the way you think. Clue is in the title; cognitive behavioural therapy ;) it's worth a shot if you are already looking into professional therapy.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I feel like it has to come from within. I have been up and down with my weight over the last 10 years so I know I can do it if I try, but it's just a matter of making the decision in my mind that I am worth it and I have to finally do something for myself. Something clicked in March when I started using MFP, again! I decided that I will be 100% honest with what goes in my mouth and for me that was key. I might not be loosing weight fast, but I'm steadly loosing. I started running and never looked back. I was NOT a runner, but I just kept plugging away at it till is started feeling right and now I feel like I NEED to run. I may not be able to run the distance I'd like to yet, but slow and steady wins the race and I did not give up, nor do I intend to!

I stopped the negative self talk.
    I stopped restricting things I like-use your judgment!
    I tried a new work out which I ended up loving.
    I decided that NOW is the time for ME! I wanted to take care of myself.
    No one can stop you but you!
    Don't quite...even if you have a bad day or bad few days...don't give up.
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what has been written above.
    1. Confidence is a major thing and once you start working on it you will have a lot less negative emotions to deal with.
    2. Remember that nobody and no situation can make you feel unhappy. It is only yourself who can do that. So you have the power to change your own emotions. Easier said than done, hence..
    3. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It may not be a quick fix. You have to practice it and stick with it. I am taking a course at the moment and am finding it extremely helpful.
    4. and this is really important: don't beat yourself up after having eating emotionally. You know that you can get back on track. See it as a learning experience.
    Maybe set yourself a different kind of challenge: how many ways can you find to deal with your emotions other than by eating? I am trying to figure this out for myself and it is actually really interesting and insightful.
    Have fun girl, because it is a really exciting journey you are on. All will be well! Hugs!