Weight Watchers and MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• NewMama221
    NewMama221 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for this. Years ago I did the old WW program that counted calories/fat/fiber and I lost 30 some lbs and felt great. When the program switched up I gained the weight back. Then I started with MFP a while ago but didn't stick with it. This time, I lowered my calories to 1200 because the number sounded good to me. Lol And I lost 8 lbs in 8 weeks without working out! But then from what I was reading, I wasn't eating enough and was starving myself. I then recently upped my calories but I feel horrible like I'm over stuffing myself. I think I'll go back down to the 1200.

Thank you! :)
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    Is anyone doing weight watchers and MFP tracking at the same time? I lost most of my weight on weight watchers, but didnt want to pay anymore so am tracking on MFP. My weight loss has slowed down signifigantly. Im wondering if anyone knows about how many calories 29 weight watcher points would be. Im just curious as to generally how many calories I was eating at that time.

I do this! It's actually super helpful because then I can see the calorie amount and nutrition along with the points. WW really worked for me, in regards to becoming aware of my food intake!
  • tiffanypacino
    tiffanypacino Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers. Its really about the same. You can find recipes and food, log your food and calories, work out, etc...you don't have to pay here, so that is the bonus. You also have support from friends, reading message boards and blogs.
  • Amazonbella
    Amazonbella Posts: 338
    Options
    I LOVE WEIGHT WATCHERS! I lost 60 pounds doing it. I spent almost 8 months here on MFP just trying to follow calories and have been back and forth with the same 15 pounds. Last week I just recently went back to the weight watchers way and dropped 5 pounds the first week...to me having points instead of obsessing about calories really works, plus the w.w.points plus program makes almost all veggies and fruits ZERO points so I find myself eating more of those and getting healthy nutrients I wasn't necessarily opting for when following calories because I was using up calories to eat them. I say to each their own, and what works for you may or may not work for another, but I do track my food here still along with my points in my w.w. book and I'm more happy and successful than before.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have done both as well and much prefer MFP. Weight watchers new program is bizarre, counts fruits and veggies as 0 points...when there are some high calorie items that fall in those categories. I have been following forums of WW users and they are not being as successful as they could be, due to eating a lot of fruit.

I prefer counting calories because its a better system of knowing exactly how much you are intaking, and need to burn off to burn a pound.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking at both for several weeks now. My 26 point minimum plus the 0 point veggies and fruits can lie anywhere between 1000 and 1500 calories, depending on the foods chosen. Some things are low points but high calories and some things are not that high in calories, but WW really gouges you on them.

Like 1 cup of 1% milk is only 100 calories, but 3 WW points. Ouch!

Anyhoo, when I saw how few calories and few grams of fat I was eating by trying to choose low point foods, I set my MFP goals to be about 1600'ish calories (under 1700 really) and at least 25 grams of fat per day. I also have a goal of at least 100 grams of protein per day.

That translates to every single daily, weekly, and activity point I have available at WW! Those 45 point days look scary but I'm losing and I do have much more energy.

Since u mentioned 1% milk being 3 pts I decided to look up almond milk. 1 pt! I'm switching! I've been using fat free milk in my cereal and smoothies.

I just joined WW 9 days ago. I love it!!! It just works better for me mentally. I have lost almost 4 lbs. and I'm not starving. I don't feel deprived, and I love the weekly points so that I don't feel guilty for splurging, and then end up quitting.. I have stayed for both meetings, and will continue to do so when I can, as long as it helps me. I use the map database a lot to figure out my WW pts. And I follow WW with a balanced diet. I think if u go over 5 fruits and veggie servings u r using more pts. I think we need to do what works for us. I'm gonna keep this up as long as it works for me :-)
  • animallovertoo
    Options
    Just a little info: A pound of fat equals 3,500 calories.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenayalynn1
    Options
    I am new to weight watchers and I am not sure I will last. For my height weight loss programs always recommend extremely low caloric intakes and I am always starving no matter how I do my meals. I try to do small meals all day and I still get a growly stomach and headache half way through the day with weight watchers 29 pts.

I am 5 "2" and I am trying to loose 15 lbs. 1200 - 1400 calories is just not enough. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    WW has unlimited produce, and at 29 points plus weeklies plus plus activity points plus produce you could eat over 1800 and be 'on plan'. Can you lose at that level?

Did you join WW? Because I don't think you'd be at 29 points with your stats, so you might have some bad info.

The headaches go away in a few days for most people, if you do find you need to go lower to lose.