fit fabulous and fifty

Options
:smile:
hi there, I am Linda, I am 50, fit and fabulous. I'm trying to lose weight but I'm getting a bit discouraged. since I've started trying I'm actually gained two pounds what's up with this

Replies

• ricomincia
    ricomincia Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Keep focussed!.... Hopefully it's just not about the weight and more about having more energy, getting toned and increasing positivity!

I found that I started exercising as well as controlling my diet and was putting a bit of weight on.... then I realised I was actually building muscle which is a bit heavier than fat!!!! The great thing is that it also burns calories quicker..

Just started up myself after a long while and hopefully I will actually achieve my goals this time!

Currently 4 days into my regime and feeling much better...

Best of luck and stick at it! :)
  • NicciPopovic
    Options
    Age its in the age everything slows up around 50 - peri menopause starts to set in and the bloat takes over I can gain up to 5lb in a day and gone the next very disheartening especially if its on weigh in day. but good on the 50 fab and fit im 50 also and fab working on the fit bit lol.

good luck:happy:
  • dwendling63
    Options
    Understandably, something about being "female" side swipes us sometimes. We exercise, eat right, sleep right, live right ...then bamm...you wake up, step on the scale and it's like the "tilt" buzzer went off on a pin ball game! Try to bump up your H2O intake or add some watermelon to refresh your body. You might just be retaining abit of fluid. Regardless of "that number" on the scale...you are still fit, fabulous and fifty! It will shift again....your pro-active approach assures it! =D
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am 56.5..... I find that it is no longer an option not to lift heavy weights, which is what I have been doing for years. Recently, I have been sidelined with some injuries to tendons and I see the difference in my body and in my levels of hunger if I am just doing aerobics...

Let us know how you are doing!

:flowerforyou:
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If you keep doing the right stuff then results will come. As others are alluding to, it may be "female" related -- this is a legitimate concern. Hormone fluctuations significantly affect the body.

You just have to trust the process. I weigh myself most days and average the result to get a weekly result. Then I compare that week-by-week. Even then, there are factors.

So just stick to it ;)
  • lindaj5252
    Options
    Gosh oh golly, thanks Everyone for your support! My weigh in today was up 2.2 pounds from yesterday, not sure how that works but is what it is. I have not given up, as one of you have indicated that my weight is sure to start going down. I do enjoy my morning walks, it keeps me energize d all day long.:happy:
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and have been having the hardest time losing any weight since I turned 49. I am on a low dose of synthroid as well as corticosteroid inhaler for asthma; both of which can cause weight gain. Fun stuff. So I can support you and you perhaps can support me in this difficult journey?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Are you exercising? I'm 50 and I'm losing weight, 48 pounds so far. Feel free to friend me if you want support.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    eat clean, and kick *kitten* when you work out... It will happen ! Stay positive :) it's all good :)
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also weighing in everyday ( i do ) it's going to change all the time. I don't count a weight until I've had it at least 3 times, up or down. We all at our age go up and down :) Don't let it get in your head :) And try to always weigh in naked first thing in the morning. And stay strong :) you got this !
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sorry, I'm not fifty yet....

I'm still fat, forty, and f'kd up.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Age its in the age everything slows up around 50 - peri menopause starts to set in and the bloat takes over I can gain up to 5lb in a day and gone the next very disheartening especially if its on weigh in day. but good on the 50 fab and fit im 50 also and fab working on the fit bit lol.

good luck:happy:

no way in hell you are 50:noway: ...i call troll!
  • Jan3D
    Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post on this topic, and saw yours. I'm 56, started MFP 40 days ago and quickly lost 3 lbs, then the weight bounced around a lot (I didn't log the gains) then another 3 lbs gone, then another few weeks of bouncing around weight. I'm weight training, doing kettle bells after my weight workout, and cardio - alternating between them 4-5 days a week, mostly 5 days. I've been discouraged, but had taken pics before I started, then a month later, and the difference was VERY noticeable! I am focusing more on measurements, which are also going down. Eating net 1200 calories, and not sure if I should raise them. MFP put me on 1200 to lose 1.3 lbs a week, but that's not what's happening... I can feel my muscle tone increasing (I used to be super buff) so just focusing on eating clean and training. Also trying to figure out the best way to include moderate wine drinking (weekends mostly.... Staying close to my net calories) but I'm sure that is slowing things down. My goal (while burning 30 more lbs) is to be on a path that is a lifestyle change and to do my best not to stress about the scale. But damn it! I still wants to see the scale move! It's a mind game I think!
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If you are fit AND fabulous, why are you trying to lose weight? :happy:
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses but just in case someone didn't mention it, your salt intake over the past few days will play a big part in what you see on the scale due to water weight gain. Also, if you have eaten a big meal- even if it is low in calories- and it hasn't "processed" (so to speak), that will increase your weight as well. You need to learn early on that the scale is NOT always the measure of your success. Take measurements now so you can compare it to measurements taken in a month. I turned 50 this past March. It certainly is a different game then when I worked on weight loss after my kids were born 19 years ago. You need to be patient, eat enough of the right stuff, drink plenty of water and get the proper sleep.
    Good luck!
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think its great to weigh yourself every day -but dont let day to day changes bother you. Weight fluctuates +/- 3lbs even when yiur weight is generally constant.

Results can take time (months)- so (as most people above say) be patient, trust the process, and watch for the water/salt type traps that can ruin your hard work.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think its great to weigh yourself every day -but dont let day to day changes bother you. Weight fluctuates +/- 3lbs even when yiur weight is generally constant.

Results can take time (months)- so (as most people above say) be patient, trust the process, and watch for the water/salt type traps that can ruin your hard work.

Concur! Results take time...keep with it and you will see results. I'm 49.5...very excited about the next birthday!
    Good luck with your journey!
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and taking weight off has def gotten harder and slower, but hang in there and be strong it will come off:smile:
  • zeeona1982
    Options
    Ive done diet after diet and guess what ? im doin it again lol , one thing i have learnt is that weighing myself every day made me give up quicker , doin it once a week gave me a goal to get to and i was less likely to last more then a couple of days ,(i at least lasted a week ) lol , on the level though these things take time stick to it and gd luck :-)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I see on your profile that you want to lose 20 pounds. I am 52 and It took me a little over 8 months to lose my last 20 ( I have lost 40). The closer you are to goal, the slower the weight will come off because you are getting closer to caloric equilibrium. Also, everyday I gain 2-3 pounds after breakfast and exercise. A two pound gain is within a normal fluctuation. Get used to it, because it is going to happen a lot. Good luck and stick with the plan!