rapid weight loss

Options
I have to loose 35 to 40 lbs in two months for my gastric bi-pass surgery. advice anyone.

Replies

• shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor?
  • OkieSunshine207
    Options
    40 lbs in 2 months is a lot of weight to los really fast. Does your surgeon's office not have a nutritionis/excercise physiologist to help you create a plan to help you get to your goal? or are you just wanting to do it faster then they are suggesting?
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. So my advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it. But I would set my goal to 2 pounds per week. Get at least 30 minutes of walking nearly everyday. and only eat back half the calories.

that is how I started. I lost way more than two pounds per week the first month. I eat whatever I like as long as it fits my daily calorie intake. If I get lots of cardio I might have a small blizzard at DQ. I am sure I could never give up all the foods I love. But I do eat them less frequently and smaller portions.

You will get a lot of suggestions. take the best one and use it.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My mom had the surgery and her doctor's office offered her a system called New Direction which offers a variety of shakes, bars and other snacks as well. Her doctor recommended her to replace 2meals a day with a shake or a bar..this also helped her get used to liquids for post-surgery. It's amazing how well and how much she has lost. She started dieting in Janurary had the surgery in March she has lost over 80lbs so far.

Well good luck, hope this was good enough info, and glad you have made a desicion to make yourself healthy and happy! :flowerforyou:
  • healthyloserxxx
    Options
    A woman I know had to lose for Surgery and she went to Weight Watchers. Many on W/W track here on this user friendly site. Anyway, once she followed a good food plan and began to exercise, she began to lose. She has now lost over 100lbs and has met her goal. She never did go the Surgery route. My niece, that I rarely see, had Surgery and for her it was not successful. She evidently didn't follow through after the surgery. My ex husband had it and I believe it was very successful.

No matter what, I understand that diet and exercise is needed, even afterwards. Maybe you will follow a good diet, exercise, lose and find that will work for you. I'm not pushing any particular diet plan, but one that offers encouragement and guidance is better than trying to do it on your own. Good luck!!
  • mboski2
    mboski2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know my daugher has 120 pounds to lose. her physicians office put her on phentermine (diet pill by RX only). they told her it would help her get a jump start for the first few months. ONce she starts seeing her weight loss and has a good exercise routine in place they will wean her off.

mb
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, I think that 35 to 40 lbs. in 2 months is an unrealistic goal prior to this surgery. I lost 68 lbs. in my first three months but only through a super low calorie intake and a lot of walking.

Whoever is telling you that you have to lose so much in such a short period of time needs to tell you HOW.

You have to burn 3,500 more calories than you consume to lose each pound. Let them show you a plan that will do that.

3,500 calories per lb.
    x 35 lbs. to lose
    122,400 calorie deficit

3,500 calories per lb.
    x 40 lbs. to lose
    140,000 calorie deficit
  • ldp2003
    ldp2003 Posts: 2
    Options
    THAT IS ALOT OF WEIGHT IN 2 MONTHS IM HAVING LAP BAND JULY 23 BEEN ON PRE OP DIET 2 WEEKS 9 LBS IM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING INTO BEING A BETTER EATER AND BEING THINNER NEE TO INCORPORATE WALKING MYSELF
  • stevenbrookwood
    stevenbrookwood Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Losing weight this fast is incredibly dangerous, prone for rebounding, but possible. I lost 24lbs in a month under a doctors guidance.

Before listening to ANYTHING ANYONE says, including myself, I suggest confirming this with your family doctor:

Limit your diet to low calorie, high protein portions. Protein helps you with the "always hungry" feeling. Foods such as skinned chicken, lean meats or certain types of vegetables can do this. You can also do (what I'm currently doing) the Usana reset program, or any other dietary meal replacement plan. The Usana one is expensive as hell, but recommended by doctors and is built for extreme weight-loss of up to 5 lbs a week.

You will need to perform extreme exercise, however having a low calorie diet with not enough vitamins or nutritional value can cause severe harm to your muscle mass. Also remember that about 60% of the weight lost the first month will be water.

I would suggest sticking to a weight loss plan of 2-3 lbs a week tops, as you will also have loose skin problems at the end of it as well. (I had turkey arms for a good year until I started doing weight-gain and muscle build exercises)

Anyways, everyone will have a different idea of what to do but in the end always listen to your doctor. You may also want to have blood work done after each 20 lbs loss to check on your liver, kidneys, and creatine production. (Luckily this is free in Canada, and any doctor will be willing to keep close tabs on you. They are very motivating when it comes to weight loss)