What is strength training..

Options
So yesterday at the gym against my better judgement I had one of the free assessments from a personal trainer.

On the whole I feel that I have been making great progress and my thought was that I could learn even more from the trainer and who knows maybe a trainer would be worth while.

We discussed what I had been doing at the gym and the immediate reaction was - well the reason your weight has fluctuated over the years is that you are not building muscle (completely disregarding my two pregnancies) and I need to weight train on the machines otherwise everything I am doing it a waste (paraphrasing). In talking to him - the body works classes at the gym and Jillian Micheals videos are not strength training.

So I am hoping to get some non-biased advise. Here is my current schedule:

3-4 days a week I will do what I thought was strength training. I have been doing the Jillian Micheal's videos (No more trouble zones, Boost metablism, the shreds) as well as what they call body works and boot camp at the gym. They all are the same type of routine - they are time interval circuits of exercises that have circuits for the upper and lower body and abs. They include free weights (i currently use 5lbs as my low and 8 lbs as my heavy) and floor exercises. I vary them every week with no real schedule...

I then do 2-3 cardio workouts per week. I generally run a 5K on the treadmill once a week, take a spin or zumba class and recently added a HIIT treadmill routine once a week after the body works class at the gym.

While, like most women, I do not want to become a body builder (not that I think there is much risk :-) ) I want to develop muscle and become tone. Is my current routine doing this? I am varying the workout videos and the instructors vary the routine with every class. I have been doing this since starting on MFP 60 days ago and have upped my weights from 2.5/5 to 5/8 as well as greatly increased my cardio endurance. So I am upping my routines. So my questions...

Is what I am doing building muscle?
Would I benefit more by incorporating routines with the machines?
How much benefit would I get from a trainer?

Any other advise is appreciated!!!

Replies

• MK608
    MK608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump!
    Our workouts seem fairly similar, so I'm interested in seeing the feedback.
    All in all, though.. you're doing great things for your body. More than a lot of people! Take pride in that :)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Quick answers, as I am at work ....

1) yes to a degree, but not really anything substantial
    2) YES
    3) depends if the trainer is any good .....
  • returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1. Go check out the women lifting heavy thread on success stories.
    2. Try starting strength or stronglifts. You wont look like a body builder, again see 1.
    3. Ditch the DVDs and pick up (heavy) weights.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Strength training (to me) is lifting progressively heavier things so you get... stronger.
    Bodybuilding (to me) is making your muscles bigger, usually done with strength training.

It looks like you're using weights, but not really strength training...
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Having not done or seen Jillian Michaels' stuff, I can only go from what others have said and the weight sizes you use: no, it's not strength-training; it's endurance training. Strength training requires MUCH higher weight levels and consists of few reps, not more.

For instance, take a look at stronglifts 5x5 or some of the other threads on heavy lifting. THAT is how to build muscle.

NOT to say that you are doing anything wrong! Not by a longshot - lower weights with higher reps is great exercise, but what it does is teach the muscles that you currently have to go longer and farther than they are used to. Only by upping to higher weights and really pushing your limits (it should be next to impossible to get that last lift in when you're only at 6 or 7 lifts in the set!) will you actually build muscle.

Does this make a little more sense to you?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Is what I am doing building muscle?
    Would I benefit more by incorporating routines with the machines?
    How much benefit would I get from a trainer?

Any other advise is appreciated!!!

1. It's unlikely
    2. You don't even need the machines. You can use heavier free weights and barbells too.
    3. Depends entirely on your goals, how good the trainer is, and the effort you put into it. The trainer may be good to help you nail down form.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on how nit picky you want to be about the definition, but strength training IS NOT doing videos or P90x or Jillian Michael's, etc...even if they use nominal weights for the exercise. These things generally fall into the classification of circuit training which is muscular endurance training, NOT strength training.

In the strictest sense, strength training is 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps each. Hypertrophy is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. In either case, the weight you lift should put you close to failure on your last reps, which is why you hear all the groaning and grunting and what not in the gym.

Also, you aren't going to "body build" or "bulk up"...really...unless you are a genetic outlier, you do not have the genes or requisite testosterone or HGH occuring naturally in your body to do this. Not to mention, it takes a lot more than doing a few days per week for an hour or so of resistance training with a few machines or even free weights to "body build". Those with those kind of bodies are completely dedicated to that sport...they spend hours and hours...they eat very specific and strict diets...they take a variety of supplements, and most use steroids and other enhancement drugs.

Once again...it aint gonna happen. A male with decent genetics (who produces a **** ton more testosterone and HGH than you) who really hits the gym hard with a good 4x weekly 1.5 - 2 hour split routine...who eats a **** ton of protein and a surplus of calories might...maybe...perhaps...if their really pushing it...they might put on 6-10 Lbs of actual muscle in a year....maybe.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The benefits you would get from a trainer is different from one to another. Not all trainers will send you in the same direction.

You build muscle by lifting heavy. So in other words, what you have been doing isn't strenght training.

I suggest you either talk to the PT about it so he can give you a program for your needs.
    Else you can look into SS (starting strenght) or maybe NROF (New rules of lifting)
    Those are lifting programs that will build muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Is what I am doing building muscle? -- Doubtful. It is extremely hard to build muscle. It may be increasing strength (some) but not muscle.

Would I benefit more by incorporating routines with the machines? -- Progessive load and may help with form, but lifting free weights incorporates more muscles (stabalizers).

How much benefit would I get from a trainer? -- Depends, but they should be able to put a decent plan together for you.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I really do not think that I can afford a trainer - so where do I start in creating and maintaining a strength routine?
  • returnonetime
    Options
    The reason I recommend picking an established program (starting strength or stronglifts) is because they are put together by people with a lot of experience and knowledge. You should pick one and follow it to the letter for at least 2-3 months and see how you are going. Worth maybe just one or two sessions a couple weeks apart to be talked through the main lifts, but not to be encouraged through every single rep.
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to lend my opinion as someone who hates those muscleheads who sneer at cardio for weight loss.

I waited until I was pretty much at my hundred pound goal (but wish I started so much earlier!) to hire a competent trainer within my budget. I now do cardio about four times a week, and weight lifting twice a week.

In any case-- I've seen my body change more in the past few months than I was ever able to SEE in the past two years of weight loss. The weight loss was so gradual that I could only track it by scales and photos, never by what I could see in the mirror-- which always seemed to resemble a slightly deflated version of my previous self. The fun thing about a lifting program is that you'll be able to see changes, and in a pretty short amount of time. Not dramatic-- but visual. That in itself is a HUGE motivator.

Anyway. I can't recommend any free online programs, but I'm sure a lot of people here can recommend some.

If money is an issue you might consider saving up and buying just a month of sessions with a competent trainer, who can show you a wide variety of weights to get you started-- and provide feedback to make sure you don't hurt yourself.
    Consider it an investment.
  • returnonetime
    Options
    The fun thing about a lifting program is that you'll be able to see changes, and in a pretty short amount of time. Not dramatic-- but visual. That in itself is a HUGE motivator.

Yes this. On weeks you think your body isnt changing and you still hit a PR for weight or just reps you know you are moving in the right direction.
    Oh and the programs I have mentioned dont cost anything other than a gym membership. Just google them.
    One other thing not mentioned is that muscle can make you look a bit better under some fat, so you look fitter not chubby or skinny fat, whichever your bf is closer to right now.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" would be perfect for you to start with. Get the book, take it to the gym and start lifting! It has all the info you'll need.
  • brucedcruz3
    Options
    Squat deadlift and bench press. Girl or guy does not matter - those are the three exercises everyone should do. Go here it will explain why. http://bigbrucesreviews.com
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I really do not think that I can afford a trainer - so where do I start in creating and maintaining a strength routine?

Krissy Cagney's Size & Shred. AMAZING!
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    sounds like you were at an LA Fitness...
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've done DVDs and lost weight but my body was still fairly shapeless and without any real measurable changes in strength. Doing strength training has changed the shape of my legs in a few short weeks and my upper body strength is improving a lot. I do it three days a week just in my basement with a few dumbbells, a kettlebell and my own bodyweight. I do HIIT or some form of cardio two days and abs another with a day of rest. I don't have interest in a bulking diet and there's no way I'd get huge or mannish looking doing what I'm doing at all. Just getting strong and fit with far better endurance and shape than I ever had doing videos I'd get bored with easily.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Try exrx.net. I just finished NROLFW, but I heard that their newer book, New Rules of Lifting Supercharged is even better, because you can mix and match exercises, and there's a lot of updated information. I just started the All Pro routine (it's online, just google it), and so far I like it, but I'm only 2 days in. You don't have to use a routine specifically designed for women.