No way of cooking, ideas?

Options
kenzie0884
kenzie0884 Posts: 66 Member
We are getting all of our electric updated today, so the power is off leaving me no way to cook (our stove is electric). Any ideas for meals today? Whether it be something I can make without cooking, or something healthy to pick up. I've only had two pieces of fruit (a cutie, and a banana) today, so I need to come up with something soon.
TIA for any suggestions!

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    go out to eat
    order delivery food

why don't you have thi s planned already
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    chipotle burrito bowl
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    salads- store bought
    fruit
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    deli chicken
  • kenzie0884
    Options
    deleted
  • kenzie0884
    Options
    go out to eat
    order delivery food

Why don't I have what planned? My meals, or going out? If it's my meals it's because I had no idea they were going to be doing this today. I live in a town house (rented), and the owners are the ones who decided to do this. We were only informed to clear the area in our basement, not anything else until the contractors showed up today.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you can get to the store, I'd hunker down with a precooked rotisserie chicken and some salad. If not, sandwiches and fruit will at least tide you over.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    go out to eat
    order delivery food

Why don't I have what planned? My meals, or going out? If it's my meals it's because I had no idea they were going to be doing this today. I live in a town house (rented), and the owners are the ones who decided to do this. We were only informed to clear the area in our basement, not anything else until the contractors showed up today.

They should have given proper notice. You could have told them no, that won't work for us today. Just a thought.

Anyway...

You could always just have sandwiches and veggies/fries, whatever for dinner.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Store bought salad, Panera (check calories in advance, though the Chicken Noodle soup on the you pick two is only 80 calories!), Applebee's has a great lower calorie selection, as does Chili's. Other options would be Subway or Cousin's (again, check calories in advance on their website).

Good luck!
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to a healthy dinner out :) Almost every sit down restaurant has good healthy choices.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do you have a grill? That's the way i would go. If not, I would probably do crackers with cheese and avocado or cereal. It's only for today, right?
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nice situation your landlord set you up for there! As it's summer, I would opt for salad like things or things wrapped in a whole grain pita or tortilla. Your grocery should have packaged pre-cooked chicken or turkey strips, or pre-cooked shrimp for protein (or rinse off some canned black beans or chick peas. Add some chopped raw veggies like bell pepper, green onion and celery. Moisten with some low-fat mayo or my favorite, Tzatziki. Pile the mixture of a bed of greens or on a tortilla with some shredded lettuce, and serve with fresh veggies like cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, jicama, Belgian endive, etc.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If this happened to me I would take it as a great excuse to crash a mate's house and cook up a storm.

Of course I don't know your family situation so this might not be ideal.
  • BellaT81
    BellaT81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a bbq?
    Also, don't know why everyone is suggesting store bought salad. A home made salad with tuna and low cal mayo is delicious, nutritious and requires no electricity to prepare. Or tomato, mozarella and avocado with a bit of balsamic - yum!
  • kenzie0884
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and I totally forgot about the grill!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I would make a delicious watermelon, feta, arugula lime salad and a hummus platter w/pita, kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, maybe some jicama, and red bell pepper. It'd be light but satisfying.
  • BellaT81
    BellaT81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would make a delicious watermelon, feta, arugula lime salad and a hummus platter w/pita, kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, maybe some jicama, and red bell pepper. It'd be light but satisfying.

YUMMY!
  • toad493lbs
    toad493lbs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a nice day for fresh fruits and veggies from your local super market. They should have them all cut and ready to go. Personally I would stay away from the rottiserie chicken suggested earlier, so much sodium in it.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Ask your landlord what's for dinner?
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Do you have a grill?

Does you local grocery store carry those fully cooked rotisserie chickens? They are good with a salad.