Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

eating advice

so heres the deal, I workout between and hour and hour and a half every morning lifting weights (weekdays) then do cardio four days a week after work with another cardio session over the weekend. I weigh 250 lbs and can't seem to get anyplace. 2.5 months ago I weighed 261 lbs and quickly went to 269 when I began lifting heavy. I have managed to drop but I have been stuck at 250 now for almost 3 weeks. Most of my cardio I burn between 600 and 700 calories an hour (Based on the app). I find it VERY difficult to eat my 2000 calorie goal and eat back the calories I burned. I try to use protein shakes to make up the difference but I am just stuck. I have decided to back off the weights for a bit until I can drop some more weight and then pick it back up. Last night I did 60 minutes of Spin class and then went right into a Boot camp class, burned close to 1200 calories which means I should have eaten 3200 calories for the day and I was struggling to just make 2000. Healthy food doesn't have a lot of calories in it so I am just wondering if anyone has some advice for me that may push me over this hump.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Cut your exercise in half.

Your diary is closed, so we can't see what you're already eating. The standard advice is to include more calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, cheese, avocado, Greek yogurt, olive oil, coconut oil, protein shakes, etc.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Don't stop weight lifting, building muscle is the key to increasing calories burned at rest. If you ask me, you should ditch the myfitnesspal system of eating back your workout calories and just use the TDEE method where you eat the same number of calories everyday regardless of your workouts, but your weekly exercise is factored in to your TDEE calories. It causes less of a roller coaster of calorie intake for your body and it is more stable and in my opinion produces more steady results. Also, beware steady state cardio, it causes metabolic adaptation if done too often and for too long, consider HIIT
  • diary changed to public
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    so heres the deal, I workout between and hour and hour and a half every morning lifting weights (weekdays) then do cardio four days a week after work with another cardio session over the weekend. I weigh 250 lbs and can't seem to get anyplace. 2.5 months ago I weighed 261 lbs and quickly went to 269 when I began lifting heavy. I have managed to drop but I have been stuck at 250 now for almost 3 weeks. Most of my cardio I burn between 600 and 700 calories an hour (Based on the app). I find it VERY difficult to eat my 2000 calorie goal and eat back the calories I burned. I try to use protein shakes to make up the difference but I am just stuck. I have decided to back off the weights for a bit until I can drop some more weight and then pick it back up. Last night I did 60 minutes of Spin class and then went right into a Boot camp class, burned close to 1200 calories which means I should have eaten 3200 calories for the day and I was struggling to just make 2000. Healthy food doesn't have a lot of calories in it so I am just wondering if anyone has some advice for me that may push me over this hump.
    1. Unless you're doing cardio with an HRM, it's still going to be an average.
    2. Don't back off of the weight, back off of the cardio.
    3. Make sure you eat enough.
    4. Healthy food doesn't have a lot of calories? BS. Sure it does. DIET food doesn't.

Get chicken, pork, beef, cheese, almonds, bread, avocados... get REAL food. Eat it.

ETA: Yeah dude, for all of the workouts that you're doing, you're not eating enough. Get a food scale, weigh your food.

Hit up scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and get a better idea of what you need to eat for a calorie goal.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Hi hun , you are not eating the right kind of calories, I see very little green veggies, complex carbs or healthy fats, I never eat back calories that I just burned off, what would be the point of that, if you want you can add me as a friend and see my meal plans and what I do.:flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Hi hun , you are not eating the right kind of calories, I see very little green veggies, complex carbs or healthy fats, I never eat back calories that I just burned off, what would be the point of that, if you want you can add me as a friend and see my meal plans and what I do.:flowerforyou:

OP, you don't have to eat a specific type of calorie. I have beer, steak, cake, ice cream... etc.. still do. It's worked okay for me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member

Complex carbs vs simple sugars make no difference to body composition, only overall carb intake. Only people who need to be concerned about that are diabetics and pre diabetics
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Assuming you set up your profile accurately, MFP sets you at a calorie deficit assuming no exercise. When you do exercise on top of your daily activity you make that deficit larger, for some people larger than their bodies would like. Eating back the exercise calories maintains a steady, safe deficit. It's a system that's often misunderstood, but it's great for those of us who don't have a regular exercise schedule in place.
  • Hi hun , you are not eating the right kind of calories, I see very little green veggies, complex carbs or healthy fats, I never eat back calories that I just burned off, what would be the point of that, if you want you can add me as a friend and see my meal plans and what I do.:flowerforyou:

Assuming you set up your profile accurately, MFP sets you at a calorie deficit assuming no exercise. When you do exercise on top of your daily activity you make that deficit larger, for some people larger than their bodies would like. Eating back the exercise calories maintains a steady, safe deficit. It's a system that's often misunderstood, but it's great for those of us who don't have a regular exercise schedule in place.

so based on this lets say I continue to do what I have been doing, I lift weights in the morning and depending on the day this can last from 45 minutes to 90 minutes. Then I go to work, then cardio after work. When I add it all up between weights (300 calories burned or maybe more) work - 300 to 400 calories and then cardio another 600 calories. I already have to eat 2000 now add it all up and I have to 3000+. This is the part I find very difficult to do. Don't get me wrong here I have lost inches, a lot of inches. But what I really want is for the weight to come off, this is where I am having a very hard time.

I really enjoy outdoor sports but i tore my achilles tendon last year in a 5k and this was after I went from 289 all the way down to 229. Then back to about 260 during the (you can't use your foot phase) now I am trying to get the weight back off with low impact style exercise. Spin class is a great workout the elliptical really does nothing for me. I have to run on that thing at over 200 beats a minute to raise my heartrate. I have ran a few times and I really enjoy it but I pay a price after I run in the form of a stiff foot for a day or two. I tried a fit camp class the other day and while I thought the class was great my foot din't really enjoy it. I have been a competitive athlete most of my life and I find it very difficult to not push myself to my limit. In fact, I have a tendency to push so hard lifting weights I can make myself feel sick. This is why I am having such a hard time with the weight not coming off, I work my *kitten* off and I wanna see the pounds drop (Venting a little but you understand)