Lifting heavy works

Options
prattiger65
prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
Ok, I gotta say I am pretty stoked. After reading and research I started lifting about 4 months ago. I had my BF% checked by skinfold calipers at the gym on 4/17 and then again yesterday, 7/17. After doing some calculations, over the last three months I have lost 9.6 lbs. but I have GAINED .5 (half pound) of lean mass!!! I have been hoping to just slow the loss, and I know this is short lived, but I was pretty excited about this. Thanks to all who have advised and encouraged.

Copied from Eat, Train, Progress group.

Replies

• Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! Why do you say it's short lived? Out of 34lbs of lost weight, 0lbs have been lean mass (I'm only using a step scale to check though)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! Why do you say it's short lived? Out of 34lbs of lost weight, 0lbs have been lean mass (I'm only using a step scale to check though)

I hope what you are having is real. However, from all I have read and been able to learn, you cant really gain lean mass on a deficit, and I believe it to be be true. There are two exceptions, what is called noob gains meaning, someone who first starts lifting can see "some" gains for a short time. The other is very obese people can gain some mass while at a deficit. With all that said, you may have been able to keep your lean mass, but I have to admit, I find it hard to believe you havent lost any in 34 lbs. But I admitedly dont know a whole lot about it. Good luck to you though, you are doing a fantastic job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!