Lemon Water???

Options
Has anyone ever tried drinking lemon water first thing in the morning to help aid in weight loss? I heard it is supposed to help. Any thoughts???

Replies

• tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It helps as much as drinking a glass of plain water; or mixing apple cider vinegar in water; or eating "negative calorie" foods, or [fill in the blank with any of the old wive's tales out there].
    Unfortunately, there are no short cuts to losing weight. If there were, everybody would be doing it.
    The true key to weight loss is consistency and self-discipline. Find what works for you and stick to it.
    On the bright side, if you add a little sweetener, you can enjoy some lemonade first thing in the morning.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tonybalony01. But drinking a bottle of water first thing in the morning is very good for you because you wake up dehydrated and this is a good way to jump start your day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I bet it's tasty and good for you. But it probably won't help you lose weight faster.
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Almost all the water I drink has a slice or two of lemon in it for flavor. I don't think the lemon causes weigh loss as much as the water does. Bob Harper says to drink a full glass of water first thing in the morning and then again with every meal. That makes sense because it will help you feel full plus keep you hydrated I guess.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    781592d1363530457-ride-your-birthday-suit-birthday-thread-5f600f89_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight loss. Lemon water with a touch of honey first thing in the morning is great for my bowels.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like the taste. No, it won't make anyone lose weight.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    you mean lemonade?
    yes i LOVE lemonade, and will even add a splash of citrus vodka to it on the weekends.....

or a monday morning.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If adding lemon makes the water more palatable then go for it. But I don't know that there is anything specific about adding lemon that will add to weight loss. The consumption of the water itself, however is very beneficial.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    781592d1363530457-ride-your-birthday-suit-birthday-thread-5f600f89_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • kellywa1179
    kellywa1179 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink it because it helps to prevent kidney stones from forming. I had to have a lodged stone surgically removed last year and would prefer to to not do that again. My urologist also said that lemons help with your immune system (vitamin c) and is a natural diruetic, which could help with shedding water weight.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    lemons contain fructose which cause insulin spikes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I put lemon or lime in my water all of the time...I have a soda stream so sometimes I even make it bubbly water. It does absolutely nothing for weight-loss, but it tastes great and the bubbly water I do in lieu of soda and beer (sometimes)...which in a round about way I guess does help me lose weight.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lemon is great for detoxifying the liver, but you won't see any weight loss benefits from it. Otherwise we'd all have a tree in our backyards :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I add citrus fruit to water from time to time because it's yummy. It's not going to help you overcome a bad diet though.
  • littlefrenchshrimp
    Options
    I do it sometimes when I want a soda but not the calories from it. Drinking plain water all the time is boring so I actually get weight loss benefits from it :)
  • tabithaseeley
    Options
    I agree water in the morning is very important, but studies have shown that caffeine in small doses (i.e 8 oz cup of black coffee, or a green tea extact vitamin) with in an hour of waking up helps jump start your metabolism. It also helps give you a skip in your step early in the day, which personally is my favorite use of caffeine. ;)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I agree water in the morning is very important, but studies have shown that caffeine in small doses (i.e 8 oz cup of black coffee, or a green tea extact vitamin) with in an hour of waking up helps jump start your metabolism. It also helps give you a skip in your step early in the day, which personally is my favorite use of caffeine. ;)

Coffee does nothing to my metabolism, and believe me...there is never a skip in my step early in the day, on any day...ever.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Try it with lime and cucumber -- but add a potato slice to offset the cucumber flavor.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't do it for any other reason that it is way tastier than normal water, make a hot cup of water with lemon juice squeezed into it...nice......