Hypothyroid, anyone?

Options
Hi:) I tried joining a few groups on here pertaining to hypothyroidism, but they're not active/no one has posted in weeks/months. I figure I would just post here. This thyroid thing has been slowing me down and there are days when I want to give up; why bother. I look chubby in all my pictures though I am 77 pounds down and have roughly 23 to go. I am short, so it all looks magnified. My blood is clean---all my levels are where they should be; cholesterol and fat are perfect---this was no easy feat. Now that I have the inside taken care of, I want to take care of the 'vanity' side of things. I am proud of all I have accomplished so far and sometimes I wonder if there is more I should be doing. I am taking each day as it comes and keeping the choices healthy----except I do fit M&Ms into my snacks; I can't be totally clean, LOL!!!!:) I feel like I have earned that treat, though. But....what if that little treat is the hindrance. Is the medication really supposed to regulate/shouldn't weight loss be easier than it has been? My body does not seem to respond to the 1 to 2 pounds a week thing. If I am lucky it takes a couple weeks to lose up to a pound. I feel like Sysiphus with that rock up the hill each day, and let me tell you, I give it my all. Sometimes I wonder, though, is this as good as it gets? Is there anyone hypothyroid that has had some success stories? How long did it take you to drop weight/what healthy measures are you taking and is it working for you? Thanks for letting me vent:) Just having one of those days.

Replies

• danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    AH yes! I totally don't have a success story- well not what you're looking for. I'm down about 20 lbs in 3 years. Been lower but 20 lbs off my highest and wanting to lose about 30 more. I had my thyroid removed. And I keep thinking that my levels are wrong- but each time they're checked they're normal. I feel like I have a much harder time losing weight than my peers and a much harder time staying awake and functioning. :(

I definitely want to follow this post and see other people's experiences.
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm hypothyroid, I have been for about 6 years and it wasn't until I found this site that I realised I could lose weight and eat foods that I love. It has been slow but I'm getting there, down 25lbs in 7 months, so quite a long time.
  • tennviv
    tennviv Posts: 1
    Options
    It can be done! We are just the lucky ones for whom weight-loss is even more difficult! (Yay us!) I have been "symptomatic borderline hypothyroid" for years. Meaning I have all the symptoms, but my labs show I'm in their "normal" range. Well, It took some time to find a sympathetic doctor, but I finally found one that treated my symptoms instead of the lab test. The result is that my hair isn't falling out by the handful, and all the other problems have been much improved. I almost have eyebrows again! I wish I could say it helped with weight loss, but I really haven't noticed anything except it is just a little easier to maintain instead of a constant gain. It can be done, it just isn't easy. But then anything worth having is worth working for!
  • msweetamy
    msweetamy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too am have hypothyroid. While reading your post, my first thought was to be tested again, but you've already done that. I think it is a little harder to lose weight with hypothyroid, but it shouldn't be that HUGE of a difference if your levels are where they should be.

Weight is also affected by much more than thyroid. Many hormones affect weight gain and the ability to lose weight.

My second thought is to check your "symptoms" for other hormonal imbalances. The following are also linked to weight gain issues. I tried to list some symptoms of an imbalance other than weight gain.
    Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone (all reproductive, but imbalance can affect libido, irritability, PMS, fatigue, depression, hair loss or gain in areas you don't want it, and more) - birth control & other medications, cancer, PCOS, and many other things can affect these.
    Cortisol (fatigue - many overly stressed people have an imbalance) - your workout sessions might affect this, there is a range of activity (time and intensity) that will throw this off.
    Melatonin (fatigue) - your sleep patterns might affect this - you need to hit deep sleep in complete darkness.
    Oxytocin (depression, disinterest) - stimulated by touch - more reason for sex!
    Leptin and Ghrelin (hunger hormones) - sugar will affect this. More sugar=more hunger.
    Serotonin (mood & memory, ability to multi-task) - This is the reason against a low-Carb diet.
    A good place to find explanations and "at-home" way to try to correct them on http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/hormone-changes.

Other medical conditions that aren't always thought of are also responsible for weight gain. Check with your doctor if you should be checked for Plycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) or Cushings Syndrome. They're not overly common, but that doesn't mean you should discount them immediately.

Medications can affect weight gain or the ability to lose weight. Are you on birth control, antidepressents, high blood pressure medication, seizure medications or steroids? Those are also linked to weight gain.

I'm not promoting you becoming a hypochondriac, but being informed can never hurt. If nothing else, you can try the at-home way of boosting the "good" hormones and see if it has any affect. But keep in mind, it takes a while for hormone levels to affect what you feel and see - so give it a couple months.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was first diagnosed about 15 years ago. I stabilized for a while. Unfortunately as I became premenopausal my numbers went out of whack and I am struggling once again. It is harder to lose weight but if you are committed to being healthy and keeping your numbers in check it is not impossible. :wink:
  • connieleavens
    connieleavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lukcyfeeling
    lukcyfeeling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

This post is exactly what I was looking for. A little advice, a lot of venting... right up my alley!

I have been hypo for a while now. I had a wonderful perfect caring doctor, who listened to my laundry list of symptoms instead of my one solitary borderline-normal blood test number. I was on cytomel for years, along with a customized mix of supplements and vitamins, and felt like *me* again. I was awake and alert and happy, and yea even lost a few pounds - well deserved workout-eat well kind of pounds, not magic pill pounds. My hair was better, my sleep was better, my days were exponentially better. But then, all at once, I got laid off (read as: lost health insurance) and my doctor's popularity sky rocketed. He closed his conveniently located office and moved to Midtown Manhattan where he keeps hours three days a week for 6 hours each, at $500 an appointment. He went Diva. I went broke. All at the same time. So, say goodbye to cytomel.

Since then, I've gotten insurance back, but not so great, so he does not take it. I've tried THREEEEEE other doctors, but no one will listen to me. All they see is my borderline-normal blood test number and they don’t care about how I feel or, more importantly, how I felt when I was taking the right mix of supplements and cytomel. I've lost my heart for finding a doctor that will work with me. All the while, my weight has crept back up, regardless of keeping a relatively healthy lifestyle and diet.

SO, I put on my big girl underpants and stopped blaming doctors (even though I'm still annoyed with them all). I dove in to exercise and have become obsessive about what I eat, and upped my supplement game to near perfection. I am eating fiber-protein-filled 1200-1300 calories a day, doing P90X (today is day 42) six days a week, and alternating running & spinning for four days a week. My reward? I've gained 4 pounds in those 42 days. LOVELY. yea yea, I know, muscle weighs more than fat. But I’m not trying to simply bulk up on muscle. Quite the opposite actually!!

Sigh.

So, here I am, another is-she-isn't-she hypothyroid victim waiting for a doctor that listens. I feel like I could run until my legs fall off and my body would just laugh at my attempts.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

This post is exactly what I was looking for. A little advice, a lot of venting... right up my alley!

I have been hypo for a while now. I had a wonderful perfect caring doctor, who listened to my laundry list of symptoms instead of my one solitary borderline-normal blood test number. I was on cytomel for years, along with a customized mix of supplements and vitamins, and felt like *me* again. I was awake and alert and happy, and yea even lost a few pounds - well deserved workout-eat well kind of pounds, not magic pill pounds. My hair was better, my sleep was better, my days were exponentially better. But then, all at once, I got laid off (read as: lost health insurance) and my doctor's popularity sky rocketed. He closed his conveniently located office and moved to Midtown Manhattan where he keeps hours three days a week for 6 hours each, at $500 an appointment. He went Diva. I went broke. All at the same time. So, say goodbye to cytomel.

Since then, I've gotten insurance back, but not so great, so he does not take it. I've tried THREEEEEE other doctors, but no one will listen to me. All they see is my borderline-normal blood test number and they don’t care about how I feel or, more importantly, how I felt when I was taking the right mix of supplements and cytomel. I've lost my heart for finding a doctor that will work with me. All the while, my weight has crept back up, regardless of keeping a relatively healthy lifestyle and diet.

SO, I put on my big girl underpants and stopped blaming doctors (even though I'm still annoyed with them all). I dove in to exercise and have become obsessive about what I eat, and upped my supplement game to near perfection. I am eating fiber-protein-filled 1200-1300 calories a day, doing P90X (today is day 42) six days a week, and alternating running & spinning for four days a week. My reward? I've gained 4 pounds in those 42 days. LOVELY. yea yea, I know, muscle weighs more than fat. But I’m not trying to simply bulk up on muscle. Quite the opposite actually!!

Sigh.

So, here I am, another is-she-isn't-she hypothyroid victim waiting for a doctor that listens. I feel like I could run until my legs fall off and my body would just laugh at my attempts.
    One thing I had to do was quit carbs--white breads; flour, sugar, rice, pasta--this helped some. I also was over doing it on protein thinking that would help----it caused me to gain. I am learning something new each day; seems like this journey is a huge learning experience and it's difficult and challenging. It messes with the mind because as you said; you are eating right, working out and you gain:( It's like a colossal joke being played. At what point does all the hard work start paying off---on the outside? I have had some good doctors, but many poo-poo the thyroid thing and don't take it that seriously. I had one that was strictly vegan and he helped me out--I ate recipes he gave me and quit meat and dairy; this only lasted a month, LOL!!!!!! I lost weight, but was jonesing for a glass of milk or a scrambled egg once in awhile. Every day has me tweaking my diet and calories, seeking advice that I pray will work. How did Kelly Ripa do it? If I 'starve', I maintain. I don't lose. I read she eats very, very little. I am puzzled:./
  • kamiyu910
    kamiyu910 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My thyroid has pretty much stopped working altogether, and I've been on levothyroxine for a little over a month now and have noticed a huge difference (prior, my memory was shot, losing hair, extreme depression and lethargy). I've since cut my calories to be around 1500 and make sure I work out doing aerobics, swimming, running, or walking. I probably push myself a bit hard, but I'm sick of being overweight. It probably really helps that I have a very active 2 yr old and an 8 month old who is still breastfeeding. I've lost about 13 lbs in 7 weeks.
    But my diet is very restricted due to allergies to fruits, vegetables, nuts, and some grains. Everyone's body reacts differently to certain foods, so while my body is used to what I eat, I don't know that it would work for many other people. My brother's GF eats a ton of protein, dairy and eggs while staying in her calorie goal and she's lost an amazing amount of weight (of course, not hypothyroidic). I wish I could tell you how to really lose weight, but I have no idea. I'm not even sure how I'm losing so well, maybe the breastfeeding... But I definitely understand wanting to rant!