Lemon Water???

Options

Replies

• anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've drank tepid water with a squeeze of lemon in it every morning for the past 7 months and I also tend to drink it this way throughout the day. For me it just makes drinking plain old water more palatable. Drinking it this way encourages me drink my many glasses per day, which in turn keeps hunger pangs at bay and ensures I don't snack in between meals. Indirectly, this may help weight loss.
  • LoriMcDole
    LoriMcDole Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the NICE answers. I didn't think it would help either, but someone had said it...so I thought I would ask just incase I was missing something.
  • tabithaseeley
    Options
    Here try reading these...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-truth-about-caffeine.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/coffee-health-benefits_n_1064577.html

Lots of good information, the key is moderation and cutting out calorie adding cream and sugar.
  • tabithaseeley
    Options
    I agree water in the morning is very important, but studies have shown that caffeine in small doses (i.e 8 oz cup of black coffee, or a green tea extact vitamin) with in an hour of waking up helps jump start your metabolism. It also helps give you a skip in your step early in the day, which personally is my favorite use of caffeine. ;)

Coffee does nothing to my metabolism, and believe me...there is never a skip in my step early in the day, on any day...ever.

Here try reading these...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-truth-about-caffeine.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/coffee-health-benefits_n_1064577.html

Lots of good information, the key is moderation and cutting out calorie adding cream and sugar.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've heard this. I actually do it, but for a different reason. Ayurvedic science (ancient Indian/yogic health system) suggests it because lemon aids with digestion and gets things moving in the mornings. :)

Activate Your Innards: The Ayurvedic philosophy believes the first item you ingest sets the mood for the remainder of the day. With that thought in mind, drink a glass of lukewarm water flavored with a fresh slice of lemon or lime. Here, the Ayurvedic reasoning is twofold. The warm water serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis—the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving. Secondly, lemons and limes are high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract.

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/859
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I hear it's good for your liver...So as an avid fan of the occasional glass(es) of wine, I drink it every morning. Does it work for weight loss? I'm sure it's along the lines of just drinking water in general to keep that 'full' feeling.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    natural diruetic, which could help with shedding water weight.
    This. It's great if you are retaining water. Not a miracle "weight loss" aid though.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Try it with lime and cucumber -- but add a potato slice to offset the cucumber flavor.

Why would you want to offset the cucumber? Yum Yum...
    I like lemon in water, cucumber, raspberries... Orange slices weren't very good though.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Adding lemon:
    - will not help you lose weight
    - will make your water taste more delicious
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, doesn't really change my rate of weight loss but I feel much better for it and my skin is my best feature. It gets greasy on my face when I forget the lemon for a while. It certainly doesn't hurt, it's meant to be universally helpful for your whole body. I use a straw though, to protect my teeth
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Drinking water in the morning is a good idea since we are usually dehydrated from A) sleeping and .. not drinking ...; and B) mouth-breathing during sleep which expels a considerable amount of moisture.

Help you lose weight? Not likely, although it is common to mistake thirst for hunger. In fact, a craving for one thing can lead to cravings in others, for example an alcoholic who is very hungry can feel the need to drink much more strongly than if they were normally satisfied. In the same way, if you are thirsty you may feel much hungrier than you "really" are.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I put lemon and ginger root in my water. I drink it hot and it has become my replacement for hot tea. I have no idea if it helps with weight loss at all but I really like it.
  • Rebecca_87
    Rebecca_87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Warm lemon water in the morning supposed to help your liver process and eliminate toxins, and also helps your colon. The secondary job of your liver is to aid in fat loss, so if you help it do it's first job it can go on to aid your weight loss.

Of course you can drink all the lemon water you want and detox your liver as much as you want, if you still over eat and stay sedentary you're still not going to lose. It's not a miracle drink, just a bit of a helper.
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lemon kicks your liver into overdrive, so I highly recommend if you were drinking the night before... but otherwise, doubt it would do much.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Warm lemon water in the morning supposed to help your liver process and eliminate toxins, and also helps your colon. The secondary job of your liver is to aid in fat loss, so if you help it do it's first job it can go on to aid your weight loss.

Of course you can drink all the lemon water you want and detox your liver as much as you want, if you still over eat and stay sedentary you're still not going to lose. It's not a miracle drink, just a bit of a helper.
    Lemon kicks your liver into overdrive, so I highly recommend if you were drinking the night before... but otherwise, doubt it would do much.

Could you cite some peer reviewed research that supports these assertions?
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options

My mom send me that same info in an email. My mom is no liar. :angry:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sure with lots of whiskey
  • tabithaseeley
    Options

No one said your mom was a liar but without proper research backing it up whos to know
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

tumblr_mjov84xnqt1qd10pyo1_500.gif
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    No one said your mom was a liar but without proper research backing it up whos to know
    Dude, that's my mom you're talking about.

Next, you're going to say that those "send this email to 10 more people or you will have bad luck" emails are lies too.

:explode: