weight bench suggestions?

Options
I'm thinking of buying my boyfriend a weight bench for his birthday. Unfortunately I never realized how many different options there are for this piece of gym equipment.

Can anyone who lifts give me a suggestion for what you prefer for your home gym weight bench? He has lifted before but not in a while and so perhaps could be considered a beginner, just for reference.

Also some benches have the over head rack built in and some do not, how important is this feature?

Replies

• emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    Well, you will have your Weider, Marcy, Golds Gym, and Powerhouse stuff that you find at Big5, Sports Authority, ****s Sporting Goods, etc. Those are beginner sets mainly for the weight rating on them.

By overhead rack, do you mean a powercage? Most lifters use those because you have built in spotters and can do many workouts. Most also have a chin up bar on them which is a plus. For serious lifters, the cage will be the most important piece of equipment.

I use a squat rack at home with a FID (flat, incline, decline) bench and a olympic barbell set. That allows me to do chinups (my specific squat rack has a chinup bar) all types of bench presses, squats, and seated shoulder press.

If you have a busy local craigslist, try there first. So many people buy their equipment and never use it. You can get like new stuff for half the price. My whole setup costed 20% of the price new.

If he is a beginner he won't need anything special. Just a simple bench and a barbell set. If you want to grab something that he can do many workouts on and would outlive him, a power cage would be a good route to go. Brands like Powertec, Body Solid, Parabody are all good heavy duty .

If you're talking about those bench setups that also have a squat rack built-in, that can also work. IF he plans to go heavier and lifts without a spotter, consider a cage
  • chollands29
    chollands29 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help!