Calories under Weekly goal??!

Options
Hello. Can someone please clairify what the heck net calories under weekly goal means in the weekly tab?! Mine says 6866 under. I know I'm not eating enough. But I need clarification. Also daily net calories. ?
My goal is 1200 cals. But I workout a lot. Everyday just about. Burn 500 cals. On a few days. But 1000 on others.
Just some help and advice please

I haven't weighed myself again since the last time I did about two weeks ago. I don't want to be disappointed bc I don't feel like anything is happening. I work so hard. But seems like its takin forever to lose.

Anyway. Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    if your goal is 1200/day x 7 days is 8400 for the week. 500 calories burned/day is Negative 3500 calories. MFP does the math:

8400-3500 equals 4900 net calories for the week. Which is way below your goal of 8400.

If you are going to work out that hard, you really need to eat more. I honestly do not eat back all my exercise calories like a lot of folks believe you should (and they are successful). But I am older, diabetic, and thryroid issues so I spent a long time figuring out what worked healthily for me to lose.

You appear pretty young, so eating back at least most of your workout calories is probably a very good idea. I would think you wouldn't feel too good eating that little after a while. If I were you, I would weigh, get my new stats, and then up my calories to 1600/day. Good Luck and great job on the working out. Just don't starve yourself. This body is the only one you get...even if you aren't happy with it now, you gotta pamper it as you lose weight!
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Suuper helpful! Thank you!!!
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if your goal is 1200/day x 7 days is 8400 for the week. 500 calories burned/day is Negative 3500 calories. MFP does the math:

8400-3500 equals 4900 net calories for the week. Which is way below your goal of 8400.

If you are going to work out that hard, you really need to eat more. I honestly do not eat back all my exercise calories like a lot of folks believe you should (and they are successful). But I am older, diabetic, and thryroid issues so I spent a long time figuring out what worked healthily for me to lose.

You appear pretty young, so eating back at least most of your workout calories is probably a very good idea. I would think you wouldn't feel too good eating that little after a while. If I were you, I would weigh, get my new stats, and then up my calories to 1600/day. Good Luck and great job on the working out. Just don't starve yourself. This body is the only one you get...even if you aren't happy with it now, you gotta pamper it as you lose weight!
    What about if you are older? Should we eat back burned calories or is it better for older, post meno women to NOT eat back?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The weekly is for a 7-day week, so early in the week it's pretty useless imo - since it shows several completely empty days. At least that's how mine works. I don't pay attention to it for looking at the current week, though it's somewhat interesting for past weeks.
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    everything you lose in your work out adds on to your calorie goal. All you need to do is eat a extra meal a day tops just to balance yourself out. If you eat 1200 cals and work out 1000 cal .. you basically only ate 200 calories that day. which is borderline starving!. So dont worry and the more you eat the faster your metabolism goes and the faster you will see resultls.I hope i helped. Good Luck
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You still have a few days to hit it :)
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options

• stephens69
    Options

What about if you are older? Should we eat back burned calories or is it better for older, post meno women to NOT eat back?
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

well, I am older with several metabolic issues and losing the 70 lbs has been a trial and error process for me. No one way works for everyone as each of our bodies are so different. I tried different approaches, tracked the loss or lack thereof, read more, worked out more, found an approach that sounded like I could stick with, tried it (somestimes successfully, sometimes not), etc etc etc. It has been a long process. I lost 30 pounds in over a year beginning last Feb. I started a different approach this year and lost 40 in 1/2 the time. It has been a slow process, not always steady, but I am happy with this latest approach----both with the loss and the glucose numbers and dropping my cholestrol by 40 points in 4 months. I also think I can do this for life.

Not everyone agrees with my approach, I eat 1300-1500 cal/day.high fat, low carb (25 net). I walk, elliptical, swim, and pump iron 4-6 days per week. I feel fantastic and folks say I don't look like a great grandma. I have 30-35 pounds to go and I know I will make it. I am the happiest I have ever been with this eating plan. Doesn't mean you will like it or feel success on it, I don't eat my exercise calories back regularly, but some days I feel hungrier and I hit 1800 or even 2000 calories. I don't plan it, I listen to my body...and sometime I just have a failure day or two. We all fall, just get back on the plan as soon as possible.

1 1/2 years is not a quick time to lose 70 pounds, so you can tell I had failure days, even weeks, and failed processes also. So I will not make a blanket statement that older folks should not eat exercise calories. If you do eat have a good way to tell how many you actually burned, and do not cheat, I am certain you would still lose. Many folks swear by it and I believe them. I just know what is working for me. Also, estimating calories burned is an art itself. I see some people put in huge amounts burned. My Timex Ironman heart rate monitor shows 3 times the calorie burn as my Bodybugg or as even the machines at the gym do. So I am trusting the lower number on the BodyBugg. Good thing I didn't eat back what the heart rate monitor said....I would have gained. That is also one of the main reasons why you just have to experiment and listen to your body and see what works for you.
  • NormityNOR
    NormityNOR Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, my sista.