NSV- I can RUN!

Options
GeekNeko
GeekNeko Posts: 8 Member
I've never been a runner. I actively avoided it whenever I could, opting for ellipticals or bicycles. Running and I weren't just not friends, we were ACTIVE ENEMIES.

In an effort to increase my fitness level and shed my excess weight, I've been off and on C25K probably five times... but this time, I stuck with it. I'm not done with the program yet, but for the first time in my *entire life*, I ran for twenty minutes without stopping!!

And I didn't even die at the end! :blushing:

Replies

• ShrinkingLauren88
    ShrinkingLauren88 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I didn't start running until January because of back problems (which I'll always have.) But the C25K program REALLY helped me ease into running. I ran my first 5k in may...yes RAN the whole thing (with a few short stops in between.) Now I can jog a mile straight with no problems as a warm up. I find intervals and inclines help, too!. I used to do a slow jog at about 4.5 or so, and now my 'normal' run/jog speed is about a 5.5-6 and it feels somewhat comfortable. I LOVE the feeling I get when I complete a run. I feel so accomplished.
    Keep up the good work, girlie!! <3
  • GeekNeko
    Options
    I can't wait until my first 5k! A friend of mine and I promised each other we'd sign up for one of the "Run For Your Lives" zombie runs coming up near the end of the year!

It's awesome that you were able to run the whole thing :) I'm definitely not there yet, but running finally became not just tolerable, but actual fun ^__^

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Phenomenal! That is great! So happy for you. :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    yay! Great job! Great feeling!

I can relate. I just started 3 months ago after thinking just like you.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - I'm on Week 6 of c25k, after only running more than 100 metres maybe once since I was at school (a LONG time ago!). And it's great!
  • ameliakamelia
    Options
    Congratulations! I dislike running...as you were before, I prefer the crosstrainer. I think I can run 3km without stopping though but 5...Hm that would be a challenge!
    I might try this out again. :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    that's awesme! congratulations I'm working on increasing my running times also! Congrats again!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Of all the things I have read on the forums today, I am most delighted by this one.

I know the feeling, and it is an NSV.

Bravo, and here's to making it to 30 minutes :drinker:
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I LOVED reading this because I'm dying on WEEK 2!! This is an awesome post and very encouraging - thank you :flowerforyou: .
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    YAY, welcome to the dark side!! Congrats! Enjoy it, before you know it you'll be running just to run :)
  • ShrinkingLauren88
    ShrinkingLauren88 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until my first 5k! A friend of mine and I promised each other we'd sign up for one of the "Run For Your Lives" zombie runs coming up near the end of the year!

It's awesome that you were able to run the whole thing :) I'm definitely not there yet, but running finally became not just tolerable, but actual fun ^__^

Oh I hear ya! When I first started, I could barely run 60 seconds without feeling like I was DYYYYING!
    And I really want to do that zombie run, too!! I'm trying to sign up for as many 5k's as possible. I'm doing a second Color Run next weekend and The Dirty Girl Mud Run next month. Can't wait! Next year I'll conquer Tough Mudder!! :)
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great job! I thought I couldn't run either until this week, when I started w1 of c25k.
  • GeekNeko
    Options
    I LOVED reading this because I'm dying on WEEK 2!! This is an awesome post and very encouraging - thank you :flowerforyou: .

Hang in there!!! If you had asked me during week 2 if I thought I'd make it this far, the answer would have been a resounding "YEAH RIGHT!" I can't decide if it actually gets easier, or if you just get better as you go- but either way: DON'T GIVE UP!!! You can do it!!! :happy:
  • GeekNeko
    Options
    It is so wonderful to hear from everyone that's doing/done with C25K! So much encouragement happening in this thread! :heart:
  • Sweetchar417
    Sweetchar417 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I too am not a runner but I am on Week 3 of C24K and not hating it. I can't wait until I get there!
  • granitendirt
    Options

I did a zombie run last summer - the one up by Seattle. It was my first obstacle-type race - lots of mud, zombified volunteers, and electrocution. You will have a great time! Might I recommend some interval training? There was a LOT of sprinting. Above all, have fun!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! And also exactly what I needed to hear today - I'm starting back on C25k tonight. Wish me luck :)
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Wonderful job! Congrats!
  • antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    thats great!
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I have been thinking of starting to jog but can't imagine myself running...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!