Slow runner seeking speed--share yr running success stories!

Options
I graduated from the treadmill to running outside a couple months ago and sweet jeebus I love it so! I have become one of those people who actually gets excited about running, which I never thought was possible after years of merely enduring it on the soul-sucking road to nowhere a.k.a. the treadmill. The only problem is I am horribly slow (for me).The fastest I've ever done is 9:52min/mile once but I think that was a fluke/tracking was off because I typically average 12min/mile.

My friends who run say not to worry about my pace and that it doesn't matter but to me it does. I don't care about running long distances, I care about running as fast as I can but getting to that point is taking so long. Are there any runners who started out where I am and have made significant improvements in their speed? How long did it take and did you do any speedwork or did your speed increase the longer you ran? I've Googled this topic endlessly and know about varying workouts, incorporating speedwork, etc. but I'm unclear as to whether I should be doing that now as a novice runner or just focusing on base building.
Also, I've tried just running faster but my heart rate gets really high when I do that and I find it difficult to sustain for longer than a few minutes.

Replies

• showjennie
    Options
    Have you tried using a heart rate monitor?

I used to use one for running, I would run until it took me to 90% of my max heart rate, then slow down to 80%, then speed back up to 90, etc etc.

What I remember was that seeing those numbers, would actually show me, whatever pace I was going, whether I could go faster or not. If I was already at 92%, I knew I'd hit my limit, but if I was below 90%, I knew I could push harder

You may be thinking that you're going as hard as you can but if you actually have tangible proof of how far you're pushing yourself, you may just find that you can push yourself that little bit more that will take you over the edge

Edit: Der I had missed the part about your heartrate, sounds like you were already wise to my tricks! haha
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Keep building your base for now--the speed will come later. My 5k times got better as I started logging more miles training for a 10k.

Most sources I've seen don't recommend speedwork until after 6 months or so of steady running. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but being impatient with this is a good way to injure yourself.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Keep building your base for now--the speed will come later. My 5k times got better as I started logging more miles training for a 10k.

Most sources I've seen don't recommend speedwork until after 6 months or so of steady running. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but being impatient with this is a good way to injure yourself.

You're right, it's not what I wanted to hear...how dare you bring reason into this discussion! I guess I will have to shelve working on speed for now and instead work on being patient. On the bright side, I've been running for two months now so that means four more months until I can begin speedwork. Thank you for your input!

@showjennie: Yeah, already hip to the heart rate monitor thing. MY HR goes above 170 when I try running faster (my max is 188) so I know I'm working way too hard.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am running 5KM in 30 minutes - exactly 18 less than I did last year. The big deal for me is that I injured both my feet (plantar fasciitis when I started because of my weight, because I was running just after pregnancy and because I had bad shoes) and now one of my feet is healed whilst the other seems to be improving. My next goals are more distance and maybe trying a spartan or some rice in that vein. Hence upper body work outs.

Good for you for enjoying your runs and I know how you feel. Feels really fantastic!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It will come.. you just need to be patient. If not, you risk injury or burnout. I have been running on and off for about 13 years, probably more off than on. Every time I start, I start at about a 11 or 12 min mile. I started at about an 11 minute mile last August and in May ran a half marathon at an average of 8:50 pace. As the others have said, building up your mileage really makes a difference. I typically do one day of speed work (because I need to keep the treadmill interesting), one long run ranging from 6-10 miles and then 3 other runs of about 3-6 miles each.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. When I run long distances, I run about an 11:00min mile. I kind of accepted the 11:00min mile and everytime I ran, I ran at that pace. I think that pace is fine for long distances but I realized that its slow (for me) if I'm only doing 1-3 miles. So a couple of months back I started running on a treadmill at a faster pace for only 3 miles. I was burned out at the end but i felt so good! The quickest I've done 3 miles was 27 minutes which is about a 9 minute mile overall. Pretty good for me!

I've ran 2 half marathons and made it across the finish line in 2 hours and 25 minutes both times (11 min mile). I'm running another one in October and would LOVE to increase my speed. I was told to do tempo runs and intervals. Apparently those 2 workouts will help with speed. Give them a try!
  • moonshine_betty
    Options
    It's becoming clearer to me that I just need to take things slowly...I ran 5 miles on two consecutive days this week and my body definitely let me know that was way too much for it. I felt tired and achy all over and it was a reminder that just because I feel mentally ready to speed up doesn't mean I'm physically ready, particularly when my body is still adjusting to the pounding it takes from running. Based on that and everything I'm reading here, I've decided I need to just take things slowly and worry about speed when I've built up some mileage.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I love running on the treadmill. This what I would if u r looking for speed. Go back on the treadmill. Run at a speed you r comfortable with for a min. Then for rest of mile or time just go a little faster. Every week push ur self just a little more.
    I started at 6.0. Now I am at 6.8. When it is to easy I will be going to 7.0
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're still checking this thread, but my advice would be to work on your running form. Practice good posture and try to run silently are good for starters, and check out some youtube videos and/or running sites. I noticed my abs strengthening as I ran more with posture in mind, you should be relaxed but think of a string pulling the back of your head up. When you have good form it will take less energy to run at a faster pace.

I know it is a huge trend right now, so forgive me for mentioning this, but when I started training myself to strike on my forefoot rather than my heal my pace improved. It took some practice to build the muscles required to do this without injuring myself, I would switch between heal and forefoot on my runs at first, but now I do it all the time and can control my pace better.

Best of luck to you!!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I know it is a huge trend right now, so forgive me for mentioning this, but when I started training myself to strike on my forefoot rather than my heal my pace improved. It took some practice to build the muscles required to do this without injuring myself, I would switch between heal and forefoot on my runs at first, but now I do it all the time and can control my pace better.

Best of luck to you!!

I do this anyway because I run in five fingers. I'm slower than the original poster and have only been running for 3 months. But what has made me faster is running uphill really slow for about 3km. When the terrain turned flat or almost flat (I live in Switzerland) my pace was alot faster than normal. Doing this a few times made me faster in general. Also aside from running outside, I do speed or incline/speed profiles on the treadmill...makes running to no where a bit more interesting. The higher speed is always just below my fastest possible speed and is increasing from training to training.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's becoming clearer to me that I just need to take things slowly...I ran 5 miles on two consecutive days this week and my body definitely let me know that was way too much for it. I felt tired and achy all over and it was a reminder that just because I feel mentally ready to speed up doesn't mean I'm physically ready, particularly when my body is still adjusting to the pounding it takes from running. Based on that and everything I'm reading here, I've decided I need to just take things slowly and worry about speed when I've built up some mileage.

Jayne19099 hit the nail on the head with her post.

You shouldnt be "pounding" while running. The road is not as forgiving as a treadmill and you will end up hurting yourself.

Youtube for proper running form, gait and foot plant.

I weigh 230lbs and many runners never hear me coming up from behind. Short and light steps. Lean forward at the ankles, keep your head in front of your feet. Flex the knees and let them absorb. Fore or mid foot plants. Plant as if youre stepping on hot coals. DO NOT HEEL STRIKE.

If you can run 5 miles you can probably start working on speed. Google fartleks, tempos, & intervals.

One boost for increasing speed is dropping weight. Do squats, lunges, toe rises (lifts) and strengthen your core.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    Check out some books by Jeff Galloway. He has really good ideas for people starting out. He advocates for more of a run/walk method, but you don't have to follow that specific part of it. You're friends are partly right though. It is considered wise by most runners to build what is called base mileage where you don't worry about speed. After several months or even years for some people, once this base is built, then the time for speed has come.

When I speed train I do Tempo runs-to over generalize it means to do a warm up, run uncomfortably hard for about 20 minutes and then cool down.

and intervals-so basically similar to sprints over and over again

Other people like to do hill training as well

Most running books will recommend putting in a good base mileage first though, which is probly where your friends are coming from.

There are other types of speed training as well that have worked for me but these are the main ones.

The books can explain in better detail-I kinda overgeneralized =/ but I didn't want to write too much =)
  • moonshine_betty
    Options

Jayne19099 hit the nail on the head with her post.

You shouldnt be "pounding" while running. The road is not as forgiving as a treadmill and you will end up hurting yourself.

Youtube for proper running form, gait and foot plant.

I weigh 230lbs and many runners never hear me coming up from behind. Short and light steps. Lean forward at the ankles, keep your head in front of your feet. Flex the knees and let them absorb. Fore or mid foot plants. Plant as if youre stepping on hot coals. DO NOT HEEL STRIKE.

If you can run 5 miles you can probably start working on speed. Google fartleks, tempos, & intervals.

One boost for increasing speed is dropping weight. Do squats, lunges, toe rises (lifts) and strengthen your core.

I didn't mean "pounding" as in while I'm running...that doesn't happen. I meant that since running outside is relatively new to me it tires me out more than other forms of cardio do and in that way it's hard on me. That said, I will follow your tips on perfecting my form if it will make me a better runner. I don't heel strike...years ago before I knew anything about running I found doing that left me with serious heel pain (possibly plantar fasciitis? Don't know cos I never saw a doc), so I adjusted my strike to avoid that. I land on my forefoot and you can't hear me coming either...well, except for my panting because I'm hot and tired, ha ha. I'm working on weight loss so I guess I'll see how my running improves as I close in on my goal. Thanks a bunch for the form tips!

@flumif: The park where I run has varying terrain which includes some fairly significant uphill stretches. I've noticed that after running uphill for a while the flat sections my pace is faster. I'll incorporate some uphill treadmill running into my routine and see if that helps.

@juliamamann: I've heard a lot about Galloway's method...I'm going to see if my library has any I can check out. But for now, I will just concentrate on building base mileage.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I dropped about 30 lbs. and cut 13 minutes from my 10k time with no special speed work. Guess when you're lighter, you go faster!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I dropped about 30 lbs. and cut 13 minutes from my 10k time with no special speed work. Guess when you're lighter, you go faster!

Nice!
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I read about this 30-20-10 method that I like to do that has seemed to help my speed despite me running fewer miles. What I do is warm up for 10 minutes or so, then do cycles of 30 seconds at a speed that is a little faster than normal, then 20 seconds hard and 10 seconds really hard. I do 3 minutes of the 30-20-10 and then 2 minutes at an easy pace and do that cycle 3 to 5 times (so 15 to 25 minutes) and then a 5 or 10 minute cool down, depending on how much time I have.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Increase your distance, the speed will come. I am training for a 10k - my longest run is 12k - I can do 12k without dying, and the 10k now feels easier.