Anyone else CHEAT once they are at there lowest!?!?!?

Options
Hi guys and girls. I always seem to have a bad treat when i achieve a lower weight, its so fricking annoying! I was 16.4 stone about a month ago and i was 15.11 this morning so im quite happy with that considering its been a bit unsteady in places. But i then waste like 3 days as i eat badly and my weight will go up like 3ibs from a bad bar of chocolate or something. eventually it will come down but all the work i put in(run 3 days a week and weightlift 4 days) just seems kinda wasted and then the bad thoughts creep in. just thought id actually use the forum and see if im the only one. :D

Replies

• dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not the only one! I was just talking with a friend the other day about how I seem to sabotage myself. Everytime I get to a new level I end up eating unhealthy and reversing it...ridiculous. I'm about to break into that new level again...trying not to sabotage myself this time :)
  • ashleyhigg396
    Options
    I'm so guilty. I think, "Oh, I'm smaller...I can handle it." I seem to forget how I got bigger in the first place.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're not the only one. It seems like a bad cycle to be in. Why don't you try to fit the things you like (like chocolate) into your diet, so you don't feel the need to go crazy when you've lost a little? For example, a bar of chocolate (which isn't "bad" by the way) can easily be fitted into your normal way of eating. Maybe not every day, depending on how many calories you're on, and what else you eat, but you can certainly have it regularly and still meet your goals. You certainly won't gain 3 lbs of fat from one bar of chocolate. If restricting that kind of food makes you binge though, maybe try something different?
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    when you hit a new level treat yourself with non food items. In the beginning of this journey I would be like hell I reached my goal so I can treat myself and I was back to square one so instead I started treating myself with non food items and that works out a lot better you have something positive to show for all your hard work and don't have to backtrack from the beginning. good luck to ya.
  • before20
    before20 Posts: 28
    Options
    Ooh that describes my brand of self sabotage exactly. I worked for 6 months recently running and hiking every day and I got down to my lowest weight ever. I bought a new wardrobe and I felt great, but I had also been through a stressful move and then for a month afterward my eating habits changed completely. Idk if its living somewhere new that's gummed up the works but I ruined all my good work and its going to take at least 2 very dedicated months to undo the damage. oh well... That's life.:laugh:

Haha the old "I'm smaller, I can handle it..." what an easy easy trap to fall into.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    But there does come a time where you need to stop eating at a deficit/stop losing and learn how to eat at maintenance.
    I am about at my goal weight, so I don't track every day, some days I eat a bit more and it is fine, I am learning how to eat at a level to maintain so I don't blow it by suddenly going from.ow calories to maintenance calories overnight.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I'm not in a committed relationship right now, so it's not called "Cheating."
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    thank you for responding people. Nice to know im not the only one. I do add small treats into my diet like 100 calorie treats which may be flavoured chocolate but i dont know why i do it. so similar to dlcaroll13 as in its like yay ive done something good so now i must eat bad again! its not like i ruin my whole day because i have already ran and done weighttraining today but its just a really annoying phase im in, The problem for me is my birthday is coming up in 6 days and i know i will be gifted cake etc, it kinda puts me off my motivation, i just think all this hard work for what? just to eat it all back in a day or 2. but i got to think more positive i think. just easier said than done. and dlcaroll13 dont do it! :P honestly you and i know you will feel terrible once you have done it just like i do right now! you will wake up and feel great for not letting yourself slip. you can do it!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yep. Self sabotage. Sometimes I feel like I'm scared to be skinny.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm so guilty. I think, "Oh, I'm smaller...I can handle it." I seem to forget how I got bigger in the first place.

ditto!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    yep, about 2 months ago I got to 200.2 and haven't been that low since....
  • thatch1234
    Options
    the worst part is when you eat too much in morning/early afternoon and realise ooops now i need a 300 calorie dinner that will fill me up all night :S here comes the baddies lol
  • Sabrinalise
    Options
    I do it after an awesome workout although I constantly say "dont eat back your deficiency"....I usually do.
  • moneyfamily10
    moneyfamily10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I do the same thing. It makes me sick with myself when I cheat on my diet. =(
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options

ditto!
    This ^^^^ oh gosh.. I think "i worked so hard surely i can handle increasing my calories by 300 today since i am so much skinnier" thank god i don't do it for more than one day but still it really messes with you mentally because of all the guilt that follows it up.
    I hate this behavior !
  • thatch1234
    Options
    yeah it really does mess with your head, then i wake up and im so peed off with myself, BUT i am going to turn this into motivation(somehow) and make myself work off these extra calories, after all its suppose to be about calories in/out so if i get them out they never REALLY went in :D
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to do this years ago after a successful weigh-in at Weight Watchers! That's all it took to sabotage my whole next week, right? In more recent years, I guess I have accepted that the lower number on the scale is a tribute to the hard work required (eating less and moving more) and that I just would rather not negate that hard work. I know I am the person who cannot "get away" with anything when it comes to the way I eat. There are people who can buy a quart of ice cream and have it last for two weeks in the refrigerator. Me, not so much! I have to control my environment and rarely "cheat" because my body is so unforgiving.
  • misshaylynn
    misshaylynn Posts: 32 Member
    Options

You and me both sister! Guilty as charged! :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What exactly does "eating badly" mean? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're being far more restrictive than you need to be. You can be a healthy and fit individual and treat yourself...I eat friggin' gummy worms almost every night for my desert...but I get 4-6 servings of veg, 2-3 servings of fruit...I hit my protein goals and fat macros...and I'm at calorie goal, so who cares? I got my nutrition on...I'm allowed to have friggin' gummy bears.

I've never understood this whole categorizing food as good or bad...it's just food...with varying degrees of nutritional value.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Ya know, last week I was at the beach. My aunt was there, and she's got a real eating disorder...and part of that means go to the grocery store and buy all the junk food you see while forgetting to get stuff like lean meat and veggies. [Disclaimer: I am not speaking ill of her or the fact that she needs help...just stating the fact that she was in charge of buying the groceries and ended up buying more chips, cakes, crackers, and cookies than I normally eat throughout the entire holiday season and not having much of healthy choices]. OK, so I was feeling bad over the crud that I ate last week without being able to work it off (no gym or weight room in the hotel at the beach). Then this week, I am having those lovely TOM bloating symptoms. So...what do I do but order and devour an entire Papa John's pizza followed by some tasty beer.

I have no idea why I do this to myself. But for me, when I plan healthy meals and force myself to workout, after only 1-2 days of being "good" and staying in my calorie goal and exercising, I feel better about everything and have the motivation to get back on track and keep going.

Now, avoiding getting to that low place is another thing. Next year, I will be in charge of the groceries for our big ol' family beach trip. Treats are OK, but not when 98% of what you buy is what I consider treats, lol.