Question about Recipes and serving sizes on here

Options
CLL1001
CLL1001 Posts: 40 Member
How do you figure out how many servings you have when making something like homemade tomato sauce? I'm trying to enter the recipe on here and figure out the nutrition facts per serving...I'm figuring the serving size to be about 1/4 cup (basing that on the serving sizes on most premade spaghetti sauces like Ragu) but do I really need to sit and measure out how many 1/4 cups I have in the pot or is there an easier way that I'm not aware of. TIA!

Replies

• wanttolose62
    Options
    I think you would have to measure once everything is combined. But you don't have to use 1/4 cup. You could use a larger 4 cup measuring cup to make it easier on yourself. But yes, once it's in the pot, you will have to find out how many servings the full recipe is.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been working on weighing all of my regular recipes so that I can determine the calories based on whatever serving size that I choose. There can be minor variations from batch to batch due to evaporation and such, but it's the most accurate way that I can think of. Plus, it's much easier to weigh than fool with measuring cups!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I ladle my soups/sauces/etc out of the big pot into smaller containers that I then put in the fridge. I figure out how many ladles of the recipe is enough for one person (1-2 depending on the recipe) and then I just count how many ladles there are and voila, the number of servings.

If it's a lasagne, I just eyeball the pan and think "yep, that'll serve 4" or "nup, I can make that serve 6".

If you get it wrong the first time you can always go back and edit the number of servings at a later date.