chia seeds

so I have heard they are really good for you and I decided to get a bag and try them out, just not sure what exactly to do with them..do I just eat them like sunflower seeds or are there other options?

Replies

• KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Use the search feature and you'll find TONS of threads about this! :)

I personally use it mainly in my yogurt but people use it pretty much every way possible.
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    ok...thanks I always forget about the forum search :happy:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I add them to my homemade breads ans mix them in my Greek yogurt.
  • I add 1 Tbsp to a can of V8 fruit fusions, stick it in the fridge for 15 minutes (they soak up some of the juice, expand, and have the consistency of tapioca pudding), and then I suck them down with a straw. (I don't like the texture.) They fill me up and I often do this as my evening snack. They keep me fill until morning, and it is only 160 calories. Any juice will work...just make sure to give them time to soften.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Chia seeds? Healthy food?

advicegarrusingest.png
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    You can't really eat them out of hand like sunflower seeds because they are so tiny, but ca be either sprinkled on foods of any kind. THey don't really impart a flavor, so you can use them on cereal, yogurt, soup, smoothies, oatmeal, pasta sauce, etc. Wherever. You can also let a tablespoon or so soak in a glass of water and, with a lime squeeze and a squeeze of honey, make a drinkable gel that looks weird, has a funny texture, but tastes fine. This drink is the nourishing beverage of choice of the Taramuhara tribe in Mexico, known for their long-distance running culture. Enjoy!
  • You can make a "pudding" with them! 1/4 c chia seeds; 1 c coconut milk; 1/4 c or less (I use about 2 T!) honey; and flavors of choice (vanilla; cocoa powder, pureed fruit, or citrus juice). Mix with a whisk and refrigerate 2-3 hours. Has the texture, somewhat, of tapioca pudding.

You can also sprinkle on cereal, salads, yogurt, or put in baked goods. All this information is compliments of Trader Joe's May flyer.:smile:
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    I just throw a tablespoon in any shake I make. The chia seeds make it thicker and almost gelatinous from what I've noticed. But the shakes are always yummy! :)
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    I put them in my oatmeal along with flax meal before I cook it.
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    I add them to my morning protein shake. You won't even know they're in there.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    I get the Anutra Grain supplement kind and put a scoop in with 3 eggs and a splash of vanilla to make pancakes. :) The chia seed helps it become nice and bread-like and it is so delicious! You can put fruit like berries or bananas in, or nuts, or anything you'd put into pancakes, really. :) I make a stack out of 3 eggs and 1 scoop, and top it with honey or 1/8 cup of Pure maple syrup. SO delish. :)
  • That does sound so good. now im wondering do you use pancake mix or do the chia seeds totally take over? Haha!
  • Desisveg
    Desisveg Posts: 21 Member
    I use almond milk and pour it over them till it all thickens with some cacao and agave topped off with sliced bananas as a pourage.
  • I've recently begun eating Chia seeds -- Absolutely love them. I mix them into my oatmeal and yogurt.
  • Chia seeds are not only healthy but they fill you so you don't eat so much. A healthy smoothie is a handful of blueberries, small amount of greens, a little water, small amount of coconut milk, 3 t of chia seeds, 1 t green powder, 1t raw sugar and blend until smooth. I've lost 20 lbs so far drinking this each morning. mandmsgirl of fatlostquickly.com
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    I just make a gel with water. Put 1/3 cup of seeds in a bowl. Add 2 cups of water and stir them up. Wait 15 minutes, stir again and then put them in the fridge.

I just eat three spoonfuls, three times a day.

Some folks think it's gross, but it doesn't really have a flavor and is hydrating, filling,full of anti-oxidants, and provides fiber.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Chia seeds are not only healthy but they fill you so you don't eat so much. A healthy smoothie is a handful of blueberries, small amount of greens, a little water, small amount of coconut milk, 3 t of chia seeds, 1 t green powder, 1t raw sugar and blend until smooth. I've lost 20 lbs so far drinking this each morning. mandmsgirl of fatlostquickly.com

What the heck is Green Powder?

I put chia seeds in my greek yogurt, shakes, oatmeal. Sometimes I make overnight refrigerator oatmeal and put it in that too.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    As I type this, I am eating oatmeal with chia seeds thrown in. I saw a free kindle book with chia seed recipes, as well.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    I mix them with water and a very small amount of Miracle-Gro, let them sit for about 15 minutes while I shave my head, then spread the mix on my head and wait about a week, watering lightly twice a day. At the end of the week, I have a lush green hairdo ready to style in time for date night.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Are chai seeds even worth buying? seems like it's the latest craze item... Flax seeds/meal work just fine for me