exercising but gaining weight?

Options
There is probably a forum out there about this, but I haven't been able to find it haha. Anyways, I'm pretty active ( a dancer and I go to the gym frequently) and I just recently started doing the 30 day shred...The thing is, is that I don't want to put on weight. And I've been reading through some of the other topics and found that while people lost inches, they didnt really lose the promised "20 pounds in 30 days."

My food regimen is basically fruit/yogurt in the morning, lunch is salad and some sort of starch/carb, dinner is whatever the family has (but I watch my portions). And I drink water all the time. I stick to this regimen pretty religiously and average 1200 cal a day, sometimes lower, sometimes a tad higher. Also, I weigh around 125 right now, and want to get back to the 115ish area (where I was before).

So I was just wondering, should I continue with the 30 day shred? Should I do it every other day, instead, so that my muscles can recuperate while still doing some sort of cardio everyday? Any other tips on how to not gain weight haha?

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Eat more!! You're not eating nearly enough if you're doing a lot of working out. Up your protein some, and stick with it. Some weight gain in the beginning means more muscle now (which helps your metabolism, etc.) and more weight loss later!
  • tbrown1025
    Options
    You and I seem to be in the same boat. I found that after taking a week off from exercise (medical restriction) but not changing my calories really seemed to work for me. I lost 4 lbs (total) in that week and the following week. I would suggest that you eat more than 1200 per day if you are exercising. I see a personal trainer and after reviewing my food log (of about 1300-1400 cals/day), she suggested I eat more since I was working out so much. While I didn't give her idea a good try immediately, I do think there is some merit to it since I was able to lose weight not exercising and not adjusting my eating. Currently, I eat 1400-1500/day when I don't workout and will begin to eat 1700ish when I return to my normal activity level...and possibly more if I pick up an extra hour of activity on top of my usual 1-1.5hrs/day. I know that sounds weird - to eat more - but those of who workout regularly can and need to eat more to fuel our bodies so that our metabolism can function properly at its most efficient level. Hope this helps. :)
  • lizrha
    lizrha Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Haha okay thanks! Could you recommend anything for me so that I can up my protein?
  • lizrha
    lizrha Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @tbrown1025- yeah its weird having to eat more to lose weight...kind of an oxymoron haha. I'm a bit reluctant but I'm willing to give it a shot :) Thanks for your help!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Yes,it seems like your working out alot and not taking in enough. So So up your intake of foods. Your protein snacks can be a protein bars or shakes. Just watch the sugar and calories. You can eat cheese strings , yogurts, cottege cheese ( you can add friuts to that ) and nuts.
  • tbrown1025
    Options
    Adding egg whites to your breakfast or even hard boiled egg white to lunch can help with the protein. I think a PP mentioned cottage cheese -- that's a good one. I struggle to make my protein goal most days. I do like to make protein smoothies with protein powder. Sometimes, the protein powder is the only way I come close to my goal. Oh, and canned chicken and tuna are e asy options (just throw one on a low fat/carb tortilla and some raw veggies on the side, yum!) and are chocked full of protein.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A protein powder to increase your protein levels. Mix with some yogurt and fruit for a smoothie. And yes, eat more but be selective in your food choices Keep it going and good luck