Do you bash cardio and/or think it is totally irrelevant?

Options
I've heard this stated in other threads. I'd be surprised if more than a small number of people actually felt this way. So let's find out. If you bash cardio and/or think it is totally irrelevant (or are a bigfoot or leprechaun or the Easter Bunny) please post here and let us know you exist.

Replies

• minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I didn't think posts today could get any more asinine.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am the Easter Bunny and Santa!!! I have four kids. Cardio helps to move the scale numbers downward, and it does wonders for my mood. I feel like a champion after a good run!!
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    QFT
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I bash stupid people.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Adjective[edit]

asinine (comparative more asinine, superlative most asinine)
    1.Failing to exercise intelligence or judgment; ridiculously below average rationality.  [quotations ▼]

2.Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of donkeys.

Eeyore to know better!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am the Easter Bunny and Santa!!! I have four kids. Cardio helps to move the scale numbers downward, and it does wonders for my mood. I feel like a champion after a good run!!
    Ok so that's one Easter Bunny and one Santa but still no cardio bashers.

BTW I wasn't asking for people who DO run or like cardio. I was asking for people who think it's pointless/irrelevant. I already know it isn't. I'm trying to locate these mysterious people I keep hearing about who are always bashing on it and saying it's irrelevant.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    The derp is strong today. There's a derp front coming in from the west and mixing with this big blue thing from the east. Derpitude is averaging 10-12 Quayles with gusts up to 30-35, making it feel even more derpy than it is, and bringing the derp index up to 106 on the Bush scale. Hopefully the derp wave will break this weekend.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I hear you OP. I have read numerous posts on MFP where people say that they do little or no cardio because weight lifting does more for their body than cardio. I also have not really heard anyone elaborate on how they came to this conclusion, exactly how the weights have changed their bodies vs their old cardio routines and also what their current weight is (i.e. are they at goal weight and sculpting or are they saying that they are losing weight doing heavy lifting and only a little or no cardio)... I bust my behind every day doing cardio for the calorie burn so that I can eat more :) But I would be interested to hear more of what the non cardio people have to say as well.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I hear you OP. I have read numerous posts on MFP where people say that they do little or no cardio because weight lifting does more for their body than cardio. I also have not really heard anyone elaborate on how they came to this conclusion, exactly how the weights have changed their bodies vs their old cardio routines and also what their current weight is (i.e. are they at goal weight and sculpting or are they saying that they are losing weight doing heavy lifting and only a little or no cardio)... I bust my behind every day doing cardio for the calorie burn so that I can eat more :) But I would be interested to hear more of what the non cardio people have to say as well.
    This is also not what I am looking for. (Weight lifting does do more for my body than cardio, but I do both because the combination does more than either one alone But saying A is better than B is not necessarily bashing B.)

I realize there are people who only lift. I haven't seen any of them say that cardio is for nobody, irrelevant, etc. I'm here searching for them (and other things that are approximately as likely to exist.)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You're serious??? Do you not read? it's virtually in EVERY thread why people should lift.

I'll give you a hint. there are 4 types of muscle. cardio works 1 of them. proper lifting works all of them. To have an athletic muscular appearance you will be unable to get it with cardio only because you just won't have the proper muscle mass development from doing a cardio only workout that ignores the majority of muscle in your body..
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ See? You are asking the wrong people.
    I don't think the people who chime in and bash cardio really realize they are doing it, as such.
    I also think that the reason there is so much -- apparent -- cardio bashing is because weight lifting is the current trend. It is new to people, and they are proud of what they are accomplishing, and because they are so enthusiastic about it they tend to get defensive when they feel that somebody is not giving lifting its due -- or not acknowledging its "superiority."
    But, let's face it: I play tennis. That does not mean that when someone talks about enjoying golf they are taking anything away from what I do!
    Both are fun. Both are healthy.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    ^ See? You are asking the wrong people.
    I don't think the people who chime in and bash cardio really realize they are doing it, as such.
    I also think that the reason there is so much -- apparent -- cardio bashing is because weight lifting is the current trend. It is new to people, and they are proud of what they are accomplishing, and because they are so enthusiastic about it they tend to get defensive when they feel that somebody is not giving lifting its due -- or not acknowledging its "superiority."
    But, let's face it: I play tennis. That does not mean that when someone talks about enjoying golf they are taking anything away from what I do!
    Both are fun. Both are healthy.

I don't think lifting is a trend :) It'd been around for a long time & always will be & there will always be misconceptions about it, which is odd because usually if something is trendy a lot of people usually know a lot about it.
    You could say that crossfit or zumba is a trend. :P
    The only reason I don't do cardio as part of my workout plan is because I don't enjoy trying to increase my endurance, I'm a baby. But I love to swim, hike, rollerblade, jump rope, sports, and the odd run every few months makes me feel free with my mp3 player on. But I think some people pick workout routines they enjoy. When I'm done my bulk I'll have to suck it up and do a few more cardio sessions, but I am quite fulfilled without it. I understand it's value and don't knock any cardio :)
    But the cals from the afterburn are apparently greater from lifting than cardio as per some studies?
    (just to note, I am new to this, only 3ish months in and am still learning the science of it all)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No way. I love it.

I always LMAO at the guys who refuse to do it because they think muscle loss is unavoidable from it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I also think that the reason there is so much -- apparent -- cardio bashing is because weight lifting is the current trend.
    I think "apparent" is the key word, or more like perceived, or imagined. If someone came along and said, "carrots are good for you so I'm going to eat nothing but carrots ever," and someone else said, "you need more variety in your diet to maintain good health," that is not bashing carrots.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I also think that the reason there is so much -- apparent -- cardio bashing is because weight lifting is the current trend.
    I think "apparent" is the key word, or more like perceived, or imagined. If someone came along and said, "carrots are good for you so I'm going to eat nothing but carrots ever," and someone else said, "you need more variety in your diet to maintain good health," that is not bashing carrots.
    bingo.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I am extremely disappointed in this thread.

I love lifting weights. I also love running.

I saw in another thread someone today talked about people who bash cardiovascular exercise.

In this thread there are people who talk about other people who bash cardiovascular exercise.

But what is NOT in this nor any other thread is someone actually bashing the cardiopulmonary benefits of cardiovascular exercise.

So it must just be a question of perception.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    But what is NOT in this nor any other thread is someone actually bashing the cardiopulmonary benefits of cardiovascular exercise.
    That's what I'm searching for. No cardio bashers to be found. They're as rare as yeti. Maybe we should get some radar and search Loch Ness for the mysterious cardio-bashing poster(s).
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm searching for. No cardio bashers to be found. They're as rare as yeti. Maybe we should get some radar and search Loch Ness for the mysterious cardio-bashing poster(s).

That's what I'm saying. I mean, I thought it was pretty clear what you were looking for, and lots of folks have come in and said that they've seen the yeti, but no yeti has yet come in and confirmed its existence.

It makes me almost think that people are imagining it.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I do cardio for one reason and one reason only. IT CHANGED MY LIFE. I used to be obese and on anti-depressants. Because of exercise I am down 50 lbs and I no longer need head-meds. REALLY. Now Im not saying jump off your meds to anyone. I did it with a doctor and it took a long time. But whenever I need a mental pick-me-up, I go for a long walk/run and get those endorphin's pumping. I like how it makes me FEEL to move fast and get sweaty from it. I know (because Ive done it) that I can lose all the weight without cardio but why?? I think some people dont have time for cardio and thats ok, but they are missing out in my opinion.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weights. I lift whilst eating on a deficit... without cardio, my calorie allowance would be smaller than I like it to be, and I would go to bed feeling hungry.

Cardio is a necessity as far as I'm concerned.