Need intake guideline help!

I've been going to the gym Monday to Friday now for about 5 weeks, I burn inbetween 300-400 calories on average via cardio then I weight lift for about 40-50 minutes. I am 6ft1 and weigh 218 pounds and I have no idea how many calories,carbs,fat,protein and sugar etc.

I read that protein shakes are really good for the gym but I don't earn a lot of money so that's not something I can always afford.

I have only just started tracking what I eat so I don't have an average intake to post but today I ate:
1632 calories
206g carbs
47g fat
104g protein
68g sugar

Yesterday I ate:
1126 calories
109g carbs
45g fat
43g protein
47g sugar

I don't really have a specific diet I just try eat healthy, for example lots of fruit as snacks and I try to keep low on calories.

When I weight lift I lift a lot so I know I need a lot of protein but I just don't know how much.

So I am looking for a guideline to how much of protein, fat, calories etc I should intake to lose weight and gain muscle, all comments are greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Replies

• I would just say your calories are way too low, and soon enough you'll burn out from that. Sugars look a little high to me, but again that's just me. Add in an extra salad, snack on veggies and not so much fruit. Add in more healthy fats like nuts.
  • RyeJD1994
    RyeJD1994 Posts: 7
    Thanks:), The hard thing I find is to weigh out a balanced meal, I've used the myfitnesspal app to measure everything and after I've eaten my dinner and tea I have no way of eating more calories without putting more sugar or fat into me if that makes sense:(
  • RyeJD1994
    According to the app all the fruit I'm eating has sugar in which all builds up too, like today 38g of fat is because I ate 2 bananas :s
  • Don't worry about the fat, watch the sugar and carbs!
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    I found this article to be quite helpful for me

http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/

It's definitely geared towards people who are weightlifting, It's going to seem like a ridiculous amount of food, but it's working for me.

Edit to say: By working for me, I mean that I am doing the body recomposition from that article, losing weight (it got me off a 6 week plateau by upping my calories by 600, mainly from eating another 100g of protein a day) and gettting stronger.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    im 6'1" and fluctuate between 210-215.

currently eating 2200cals/day.

what are you goals? are you looking to reduce bf%? weight? recompose and maintain weight?

these questions are pertinent.

already we have a response to watch your sugar and carbs.
    is he diabetic? why watch carbs? dont worry about fat?

help us help you, bruh.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    just reread your OP.
    you can lose weight and maintain muscle, but aside from minimal muscle gains in the beginning, you wont be able to build up while eating at a deficit.

your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is roughly 2700cals per day with little/no exercise.

a healthy formula for weight loss is eating 80% of your TDEE, which puts you right around 2160cals/day.
    (this is right around where i am)

you can customize your diary to go for 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat, which is a fairly common breakdown i think for people looking to do what you are.

edited to add: your strength can increase while at a deficit, just not muscle mass.
  • RyeJD1994
    Thanks for the posts guys:)