Nerd Girl wants to get into shape

Options
xenvrae
xenvrae Posts: 7 Member
I'm a 21 year old college student who is the heaviest she's ever been. I don't like how I look and I can't do the one thing I love to do at the weight I'm at: Cosplay. I want to be in shape and be able to go out and do fun things without feeling self-conscious or getting tired easily.

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Good luck; this is a great place to find support. I love all the cosplay costumes; that's a great motivator!

Best wishes!
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Being a bit of a nerd myself (although more of the card games playing type), I know it can sometimes be a difficult lifestyle to get of the couch and start moving. I'm sure the cosplay outfits can be an awesome motivator!

Good luck :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I used to wear hoodies and I'm going to go back to wearing hoodies. I wore hoodies initially because I wanted to be unnoticed... now, I'm doing it for the same reason.

The gym for me is not a social place, for egos, or a place to feel scared. It's a place to feel empowered knowing you're going to CRUSH it. I've found nerds make the transition to fitness fairly easy. Achievements, long hours of grinding, patience, dedication, etc. you've learned from hours of gaming and "wasting" time prepares at least gamers.
  • nerdfitquest
    nerdfitquest Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Alway's open to more nerd and cosplay buddies! Add me

Also you should check into this topic :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1033452-any-cosplayers-nerds-out-there?hl=cosplay&page=5#posts-16103604
  • MnMPants
    MnMPants Posts: 3
    Options
    One of my motivators for when I'm back in shape is to buy and wear a spiderman costume. So I'm right there with you. Being a student can do awful things to one's waste line.

Small things I've done to help get back in shape are:
    - Taking the stairs to class instead of the elevator
    - Taking a longer route between classes
    - Have unsweetened iced-tea on hand to resist pop urges
    - try and pack a healthy snack so I'm not eating from the caf as often

I actually managed to lose 40lbs last year. I know it's slow progress but I feel so much better and it makes it easier to keep going once you've lost that initial chunk.

Best of luck. Hopefully you'll be back in costume soon.
  • xenvrae
    xenvrae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. Thank you!! It's lovely to meet all of you! :)
  • sunsetandcamden
    Options
    Hi! I'm newly back on the wagon, of the nerd variety (more books though) and have similar goals (I do theatre and my weight gets in the way). Good luck to all of us!