Advise Please!

Options
I have been on MFP for a while now and have just lost around 5lbs. I exercise about 2-3 days of the week. I know I need to do more but between my two sons, working full-time, football practice, and a ton of other things, time comes up short. I am trying to eat better but is also hard when we are on the run or so tired from a long day at work. Can anyone please give me some good advice about what I can do to help move along the weight loss. Just some support or good ideas/plans of what I can do would be so appreciated!

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 4th month of ChaLEAN Extreme. It is an awesome series that is DoAble by anybody!! If this is not of interest just do a dvd , walking, or running at 5 a.m BEFORE life gets in the way! Once you make it a priority you will find your day being LESS tired!!
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to try and take one day and plan your meals ahead of time for the week. Or, at least have something that you can fix quick that is healthy and satisfying on the days you're too busy to cook. I like to use my crock pot a lot, and you can find lots of recipes that are low cal but delicious. I personally keep a few frozen WW or lean cuisine's for the days I just can't cook. I've also been the route of football games and kids activities. I took to walking around the entire time rather than sit. You can still watch what's going on. Otherwise you could just decide you're getting up 1/2 hour earlier and get a quick work out in then. I know for me it's either early or never, I'm too tired at the end of the day. Hope that's helpful. I wish you all the best!
  • Banner1375
    Banner1375 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what has been working for me. I believe that the one thing that has help me consistanly loss weight and keep it off is working my metabolism. Do a google search on "How to Increase Metabolism".There's a lot of good advise out there. Changing our eatting habits, i.e. the frequecy and amounts. I eat about 6 or 7 times a day. Of course I don't eat the full meals I used to. Breakfast and lunch are under 250 calaories and three snacks at about 100. Then maybe a 300-400 Dinner. I come in at around 1200 a day (sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more...not 200 either way). But I've enjoyed eating several times during the day and this has helpped me keep my hunger under control.

There are several other suggestions on metabolism, but this gives you and idea. Certain kinds of foods are also helpful. If you exercise, mix it up with short spurts of intense workouts (example, if you walk take a few minutes in your walk to run or sprint).

Good luck.
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with these ladies, Try and get up a half hr earlier, I know it sounds easier to say then to do, But excercise is really the key to this. ALso buy 100 cal snacks and pack fruit with you on nites that you have to be out late. If you have to do fast food, maybe you could go to subway. Also i do agree crockpot meals can be great and lowfat and low calories.. If you go to www.sparkpeople.com , There are great low fat low calorie recipes. I love that site and the food comes out great. Best of luck to you.
  • Englishteacher
    Options
    Raising four sons that played football and baseball kept me on my toes, too. I would suggest that you walk around the track or the field while your sons are practicing. I bet there are other moms in the same shoes, so to speak, who would gladly walk with you. I also would recommend that you plan your meals out for the week and do the shopping for them on your one free day. This way you are more apt to cook healthily. I also used to pack sandwiches and fruit drinks for the boys, too. I remember how easy it was to just hit the drive-thrus after long hours of practice. Good luck.
  • lavondrew
    Options
    Last week, I started trying to cook several days ahead for the crazy days when there's no time for anything but drive-through. I bought a family pack of chicken and grilled it all at the same time, then put each portion in a ziploc. I can grab it on my way out the door and throw it in my lunch cooler. It's saved me a ton of calories and money this week! ;0)
  • loula28
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the good ideas and support! This is truly a wonderful site full of amazing people. There is nothing better than to realize you are not the only one out there trying to do this. I appreciate you all taking your time to advise me, and I am definitely more motivated to put all your good suggestions to use! :happy: