When do you go for a Personal Record (PR)

Options
tomcornhole
tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
I'm doing 5/3/1 now on a 4 day split. Love the program. I do the program and max out the last set on reps. There are days that I have trouble just doing the 5/3/1 program. But there are times when I feel like King Kong and want to see where it ends. If I feel particularly strong that day, I keep adding weight and doing 1 rep sets until I get to a max. Sometimes that results in a new PR.

I was wondering how others approach PR's. Do you plan them, or just go for it when your body tells you it is strong that day.

Appreciate your input.

Tom

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    In running, I train for them, set a specific race so everything comes to a head at just the right moment.

I'll be watching this thread, interested in seeing input regarding lifting.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am ith Jerry. I follow the program and every 4 weeks I go up another 5-10 lbs and it becomes my new PR every time.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    I guess I haven't been doing 5/3/1 long enough to see a monthly PR. But I was feeling it today so I did what I do and finished the last 5/3/1 set and started adding weight. Old PR for deads was 315 lbs. Today was 335 lbs. I guess once I figure out what my real 1RM is, 5/3/1 will keep me progressing closer to my max potential. I think I am still in newbie gains and progressing faster than 5/3/1. Right now my program is a cross between 5/3/1 and Starting Strength. It is fun, though.

Tom
  • mikemc620
    Options
    I am progressing but I am still getting 5-9 reps on my final sets. But it's all at weights that I've never tried before. I don't try for or care what my actual 1RM is. I just add the weight every cycle and it's a PR.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I also kinda wing it, when it feels like a strong day I might decide to try going beyond my planned working weight. I will go up to about a 3RM but I don't feel as secure in going for 1RMs with squats or deadlifts because I'd rather not end up in a position where I'm failing and discovering that my back is the weakest link. :wink:
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5/3/1 now on a 4 day split. Love the program. I do the program and max out the last set on reps. There are days that I have trouble just doing the 5/3/1 program. But there are times when I feel like King Kong and want to see where it ends. If I feel particularly strong that day, I keep adding weight and doing 1 rep sets until I get to a max. Sometimes that results in a new PR.

I was wondering how others approach PR's. Do you plan them, or just go for it when your body tells you it is strong that day.

Appreciate your input.

Tom

Technically the week you do 5/3/1+ is when youre supposed to make a PR in weight, the other weeks are rep PRs. if you feel like you have more in you, go for more weight but only on your heavy week (3rd week) after you already hit your required sets.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I was just new to 5/3/1 and still finding my max to start the program.

When do you switch from 90% training max to 95%?
  • mikemc620
    Options
    I have seen no need to do this. I just add the weight on every cycle and go. I'm really not interested in all the numbers. Just that I'm able to I crease my weight and reps every cycle.