did your goal weight change?

Options
so I was just wondering, did any of you change your goal weight and was it higher than you originally planned? I started this journey around 160lbs and I now weigh 154lbs. My weight has gone up and down for the last year or so. I have been down to 143lbs which was my original GW, however I found it hard to maintain and slowly it has gone back up. I just wonder though, if where I am now is actually where I should be naturally. My body always seems to come back to this weight sometimes bouncing between 149lbs - 154lbs. what are your thoughts? do you think the body has its own natural weight? If I put on more weight than this I find it pretty easy to lose, to go lower is achievable but its a real struggle, feel like I'm fighting nature.

I'm 34yrs, 5'3 and I exercise 90mins 6days a week. My calories are between 1500 - 1800. My diet is not perfect due to working in the food industry as a manager and tasting food is part of my job. I'm also fighting genetics, most of my family is larger, not obese but we all put weight on easily. I'm the smallest.

thoughts please, love to hear from anyone who's GW was higher than the planned and what made you change?

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    My goal weight has actually gone down because as I've lost weight I've realized I'm actually built more petite than "big-boned."

I've heard a theory that your body kinda has a set point for weight, which is part of why it's so easy for people to put the weight back on within a year or two. According to this theory, it takes a year of maintenance to "reset" that point. So while the weight loss is a great accomplishment, that next year is extremely important. No, I don't have any evidence to back this up, but it's an interesting theory I've heard, and it kinda makes sense to me.

How long did you try maintaining your GW? Could it be that you just didn't try it long enough? Or maybe that weight was when you were 17, which wouldn't be realistic as you get older? Just my thoughts.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what I want as my goal weight. I've always wanted a size more than a weight. Now that I'm a size 14 I don't know if I want to go much lower. I got to 185 lbs at one time and was fitting size 14 tight, but now I'm 192 and size 14 is really loose. BMI says I should be no more than 168, but I doubt I will ever be that. My husband doesn't like me as a stick. He's starting to ask when I'm going to stop.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes! I started with wanting to lose 50 pounds. I figured I would be happy at around 135. I also think I low balled it since I didn't know if I would even get there. But then I started losing and realized that I actually was and that I had so much willpower and all that good stuff that I decided I wanted to lose an even 60 to be at 125.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My goal weight did change - but mine went down. After having a baby, I wasn't looking how I'd hoped at my initial goal weight.
  • TEAJAY13
    TEAJAY13 Posts: 19
    Options
    How long did you try maintaining your GW? Could it be that you just didn't try it long enough? Or maybe that weight was when you were 17, which wouldn't be realistic as you get older? Just my thoughts.

Hit GW last year before my wedding(33yrs), and it was so hard to get there and to be honest it never stayed there for long. I weigh daily (only way I stay focused) and it bounced around all over the place for weeks and then just slowly went up, it took 9 months to get where I am now. I have been still trying to lose a little, it would be nice to get to 149lbs. But like you say I'm not 17 anymore, so am I setting my expectations too high? given my age.

just to note also: before wedding I was in an extremely stressful job and then changed jobs a week after wedding and I'm much happier.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes it did. My original goal weight was 135. I got there and felt like I wanted 125. then I went a little overboard and wanted 118...and went down a bad path for a little while there. Now my goal is 123/124. I am thin at that weight and my body feels good. When I go under 120 my energy is down so I think its just not right.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Originally when I started, I wanted to be no less than 160. As I lost, I changed my goal a lot. First 150, then 140, for a while it went down to 115 (I ws starting to have disordered thoughts about eating, and went through a period of disordered eating due to depression and low self esteem.) Anyway, right now I am at about 137-140, it fluctuates. I have been around this weight for a year and a half now. While I would still like to lose fat in certain places, I know I cannot spot reduce so I have decided to stop focusing on what I weigh and just focus on gettin healthier and fitter.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I originally set my goal weight at 135 (starting weight was 152/148 when I joined in Feb., size 10) and thought a size 6 would be nice. I reached that weight really quickly and easily, and just decided to keep going, with a new goal (or limit to not go under) of 125. I reached 128 in May, and my doctor said that I shouldn't try to lose any more weight. By that time, I was probably around a size 4. Well, I came down with a stomach virus that weekend, lost 3 lbs, and it never came back. I lost a bit during June and am now sitting around 119. I'm not really sure what to do now, as I agreed that my limit would be 125, but I feel ok at 119. Oh, and I am a size 0-2 now. It is difficult, because I love to workout and it is sometimes hard to eat all of those calories back. Maintenance can be as hard as losing, my brain hasn't really come around to it yet.
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    When I was "bigger," I thought I had a much larger frame than I actually did, I set my goal weight at 160. When I dropped out of the 200's, I noticed that my frame was average, not big and I'm also not a tall guy. I ended up lowering my goal to 140, which my doctor told me was a healthy weight for my height and build.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think I need a lower weight to look better than I did when i was a teen or barely 20 something. At 135 I think I just filled out a much nicer way than I would now that I am older. I was 135 at 19 and looked fantastic. Now when I get around 128 I start feeling like I look bad. I think the fat collects more on my thighs and lower back than it did before.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My original goal weight was 135. I haven't hit it just yet (damned last 10 pounds!) but I've found that my fitness goals have changed since I first started losing weight. Originally I just exercised (cardio) to aid in creating a deficit to lose weight. Now I'm doing stronglifts to keep muscle, get stronger, and hopefully lose fat in the process. It'd be a nice bonus to get to 135 but I won't be heartbroken if I don't.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Mine has fluctuated. Originally, it was 110 pounds, but when I got down to 125 my boyfriend really, really did not want me to lose more because I was losing my boobs and had already lost what little butt I had. So I quit at 120, maintained around 118 for a while, but I've learned that strength training really isn't giving me enough of the kind of change I want. I want to be lean but I don't want much more muscle definition, and at this point it seems like I either have to lose more weight or go with a more muscular aesthetic. So I'm losing again and might go down to my original 110 lb goal. I'm a small-framed 5'4" and that seems like the only way I'm going to look how I want to look.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I actually changed mine today. im 5"6 and had it set at 138, but from what im seeing on here I should be more 120 or 125...so ...uggg..more exercise and less skinnygirl margueritas I suppose! Losing weight gets hard after 40!!! The system also changed my calories to 1200 a day....so we'll see!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, my goal weight is now higher. Because I changed my goal from a scale goal to a goal based on body fat percent instead.
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My goal started as 145 (I am 5'3'' and started at 186) but I have always had more of a size goal priority. I would like to be a size 7 pants. Right now 9's are starting to feel a bit loose, so I am close :) But now that I have reached my goal weight, I have lowered it to 140 + toning. I realized that after 3 kids my little muffin top is not quite where I would like it to be and I need to lose a couple more pounds and tone a bit. It will be a bit different for everyone :)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I originally set my goal at 150. I didn't really believe I would achieve anywhere close to it. After my DEXA scan, I was shocked to learn how much fat I was still carrying so my new goal is 140.
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit set as? I see you eat 1500-1800 and exercise 90 minutes 6 days a week. You might try raising your calories gradually. I've read you are supposed to change to 1/2 pound(250 calorie deficit per day) a week when you get within 10 pounds from your goal. It may help you maintain if you increase gradually.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Mine went down, which is sort of depressing because I'm still not that close. It went down because after losing 80 lbs, I've realized I am not, and have never been, "big-boned." I actually have a pretty small frame, with a lot of excess weight on it. And as I've aged, I've somehow lost an inch in height. I have been 5'6" my entire life. My last physical they said I was 5'5". I said "no I'm 5'6", she remeasured me and said "honey, you're 5'5". So my original goal was 150. I could never get down to that in high school (stayed between 160-170) and was always about a size 11 then. I started out at 270ish, am currently at 190 and am in a 14 easily, some size 12s. Now my goal weight is 135, (but secretly 125!), which is appropriate for 5'5". And if I'm being completely honest, I don't care so much about a number as a comfort level. I just want to wear a 1-piece swimsuit, actually go swimming, and not be embarrassed. Whatever number gets me that, is my goal.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I original set my goal at 135 but then I dropped it to 130. I think I might put it back to 135 as I realize that because I lift weights, I will tend to weigh more even though I don't look it because of the muscle.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone down because I haven't gotten the one thing I want more than anything else: abs. I may die trying to get them but I ain't going down without a fight. Maybe it's not possible for a 57 year old guy to have them. But I'm starting to see signs now. I'm still classified as "overweight" according to BMI which is a crock because I do have a good deal of muscle already. But just need to get the bf down to show the abs. And that is what is up now.