Ladies I want your opinion

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who uses it gained weight too. I've had zero weight issues using the Nuvaring.
  • louloubi
    louloubi Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, first find you TDEE follow this link http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ if you stick to your insanity workout select exercise lever 5 times week intense.

try splitting you macros 40% protein, 40% carbs 20% heathy fats

1 gr of fats = 9 cal
    1 gr of carbs = 4 cal
    1 gr of protein = 4 cal

if you eat 500 calories less than you TDEE you should lose 1 pound a week or more

Good luck
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I think I gained 5lbs with each shot, after 4 shots I switched BC and dropped it all without trying
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There are very few risks with copper IUDs, people think there are because there was a bad one like 20 years ago that caused problems but they're very safe now. The rest of the world is just more comfortable with the idea than America.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, you are NOT going to lose weight on Depo unless you are a "god" of sorts. That shot should be taken off the market. I know women who have gained 80 or more pounds while on that shot. It also causes bone loss. Your best bet is to switch to something else such as the pill or nuva ring. I was on both the pill and nuva ring in the past and had no issues. Now, I have my tubes tied so don't have to worry about the side effects. Do some research on the shot and consider going off it asap.

Agreed! That is really terrible stuff. I was on it and gained a ton of weight not to mention it did some really funky stuff to my head. I think it caused anxiety attacks! I really can't beleive doctors are still prescribing it. BE WARNED!

According to this post I'm a god. I've lost weight and am still losing. I've been on Depo for going on 8 yrs now. I love it. I don't have to think about it, and I haven't gotten pregnant. All BC, and alot of other meds deplete calcuim. Everyone needs to have thier calcium and Vitamin D checked regularly.

Ditto here..I got to my smallest since giving birth using Depo. was very careful with food and lots of exercise. I did switch to the Mirenia IUD and it's great. As for the bone issues any oral bc/shot or patch causes bone density issues.

As for the insanity take measurments. I have been doing 30DS and have only lost 1.5lbs but over 8 inches in total so far.
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I am currently on depo and losing weight with no problems. I have been on it for four years, and although I gained weight in that time, it was associated with antidepressants, reduced activity, and emotional eating. Every body is different, though. If you feel bad on depo, there are plenty of alternatives. I hope you find what works for you.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Another god here....well goddess at least. I've been on depo since I was 18 (so 10 years now). Did I gain when I was on Depo? Yes, but I was also eating terribly and not moving at all. I managed to go from 130 lbs to 175 lbs in about 5 years. I also managed to drop all that weight and get back down to my high school weight within 2 years with watching what I eat and moving.

Birth control is a n = 1 experience as far as I'm concerned as I tried to get off of Depo by using Impalnnon and an IUD and neither of those worked out. Even if Depo is making me hold on to 5-10 lbs, I'll take that over having a period any day of the week.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Yep, I'm a god, I guess lol. And I believe Depo was the only reason I lost weight and the only reason I gained when I went off of it.

Here's my story: About 2 1/2 years ago, I went on Depo when I was at 175lbs. You get the shot every 3 months, and that is the only time I would get weighed. I was steadily losing about 7-8lbs at every shot, until I got down to around 154lbs. I stayed that weight the entire time I was on Depo. I didn't work out. I ate out the same as I do now (probably less now). I ate the same stuff I always have at home.

Then came last December when I wanted to get off of the shot. December was supposed to be the month to get it, and I just didn't. I started feeling my pants getting tighter (and at the time, I just seriously thought they were shrinking). Then I felt the back fat creep on, and I decided to weigh myself. Keep in mind, in February, I joined my local gym and really started watching what I ate. Anyway, when I weighed myself, I was 167. Then in March, I stupidly got back on the shot. I stayed at 167 until June, when I didn't get the shot, again. I went up to 180, and have now worked myself back down to 170.

I honestly think Depo was the reason for all of this...
  • KrissyLehr136
    Options
    Depo is the devil. I gained 50 lbs in 2 months on that stuff and I haven't been able to get it off since. I'm not on it anymore but it is evil. lol. If you want a long lasting birth control that won't cause weight gain or whack out your hormones try a copper IUD.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Personal experience, started depo in january and gained 23 pounds, started watching what I ate more closely in march and working out a few more days, and now have lost 36 pounds. There is one week each month that my weight stalls though, and I'm guess that's when I normally would be having a period kinda like my body is getting ready for it then like oh yea we don't gotta mess with that.

Either way, different things work for different people. I suggest doing your measurments, get a food scale, and a heart rate monitor.

It will eventually come off.

Good luck.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I also got OFF the depo after 6 months (2 injections) -- it did not agree with me. I was :mad: all the time and had uncontrollable anxiety! I am now on the pill and I have not had any isues with weight loss.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are unique......Depo does not "make" everyone gain weight any more than it makes everyone lose weight. If the only reason you are taking Depo is strictly for birth control reasons, I would talk to my Dr about another method - - just because Depo is quite intense hormone-wise......more so than you probably "need" in this situation.

But of COURSE this is a discussion you should be having with your gyno.

Good luck....
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating under calories you should be all set.
  • Airica83
    Airica83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Depo for about 10-11 years now and I love it. I'm sure I gained weight when I started it, but I wasn't concerned about losing it. I was happy where I was. Now I'm in a different state of mind and am on the path of losing weight. I am losing it slowly (I'm actually re-shaping and gaining muscle), but I also don't eat tas healthy as I could (that's get really spendy). I am on the see food diet, just portioned controlled. I also am training for a full marathon in August and I have just added in Focus T25 this week...so my issue may be that I'm not eating enough calories to really help me drop the weight. I also did Insanity and didn't lose weight, but dropped inches. However I do believe it all depends on the person and how their body reacts with different meds. I'd ask the doc and see what they suggest. Good Luck!
  • wcrathbun
    wcrathbun Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for 3 years and not only did I gain weight and have trouble losing weight but I developed other health issues because of the shot that I will have to live with the rest of my life. ( I used to always tell people not to get it but haven't recently because I realize that was 5+ years ago and they may have made some changes to the drug, but I personally won't touch it!) I did lose a ton of weight when I went off BC all together but gained back some when I went back on. Your doctor can probably recommend other options if you are having trouble and interested in making a swtich :)
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, you are NOT going to lose weight on Depo unless you are a "god" of sorts. That shot should be taken off the market. I know women who have gained 80 or more pounds while on that shot. It also causes bone loss. Your best bet is to switch to something else such as the pill or nuva ring. I was on both the pill and nuva ring in the past and had no issues. Now, I have my tubes tied so don't have to worry about the side effects. Do some research on the shot and consider going off it asap.

Agreed! That is really terrible stuff. I was on it and gained a ton of weight not to mention it did some really funky stuff to my head. I think it caused anxiety attacks! I really can't beleive doctors are still prescribing it. BE WARNED!

According to this post I'm a god. I've lost weight and am still losing. I've been on Depo for going on 8 yrs now. I love it. I don't have to think about it, and I haven't gotten pregnant. All BC, and alot of other meds deplete calcuim. Everyone needs to have thier calcium and Vitamin D checked regularly.

Ditto here..I got to my smallest since giving birth using Depo. was very careful with food and lots of exercise. I did switch to the Mirenia IUD and it's great. As for the bone issues any oral bc/shot or patch causes bone density issues.

As for the insanity take measurments. I have been doing 30DS and have only lost 1.5lbs but over 8 inches in total so far.

Ditto with the not gaining weight on Depo - although I wasn't trying to lose at that point either. I have an IUD now and love it (migraines so no estrogen allowed). My insurance paid for it, if it's paying for your Depo it should pay for your IUD if you are convinced that Depo is the problem.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies,, I am suppose to go in for my shot in Aug and im tempted to not get it and see what happens. just not sure what i will get, i know i dont want an IUD to many problems with it and its expensive to have put in and have taken out.

If you're in the US, IUDs are covered by most insurance plans since changes made by Obamacare. And if you don't have insurance....Planned Parenthood charges on a sliding scale. A lot of people really like them and do not have issues. Some are non hormonal, so you wouldn't have to worry about weird side effects due to hormones. Plus they can stay in for 10 years. It might be worth asking about.
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    I gained about 3 stone in 18 months on the depo, and got alopecia, as soon as It was out of my system I lost 2 stone in just a few months changing nothing, and my hair started growing back, I will never touch it again.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo and have been for over 2 years. Before my son, I was on it for 3 years after my daughter, until we decided to have another kid. All my excess weight is tracked as "baby weight" for me. Hormones can affect weight loss and gain, but if you want to experiment to find what's right for you go ahead. If one thing worked for everyone there'd only be one BC on the market.

I personally will not touch an IUD with a 10 foot pole because of what it did to my SIL. But again everyone's different.

ETA: Thank you for elevating me to God status, it's a definite responsibility and pleasure. Is there an increase in pay associated with this status?
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I noticed a few posts about the IUD, and just wanted to say my experience hasn't been great- heavier and more painful periods, the first few moths were agony. And my ex told me he could feel it sometimes.