Protein in Smoothie

Options
luv2eduk8
luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
I found a recipe for a Grapefruit Smoothie, but with the ingredients there isn't much protein. What can I add to it that won't change the taste too much (it is really good) that will add some protein to the it? I have thought about the powders, but they only come in really large containers and are pretty expensive. Any other ideas?

I did think of Almond Milk or Greek Yogurt instead of the orange juice, but not sure how it would taste.

The smoothie ingredients are:

1 grapefruit
1 banana
1 cup of frozen strawberries
1/2 cup of orange juice (I used the Trop50 - only 50 calories)

Thank you for any suggestions.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I would say Greek yogurt or buy a small thing of maybe strawberry protein powder
  • luv2eduk8
    luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Should I replace the orange juice with the greek yogurt? And how much do you think?
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    a couple spoon fulls of plain greek yogurt. it'll make it a bit thicker/creamier but shouldn't change the taste too much.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You can buy smaller sizes of protein at GNC. They have a variety of flavors in the smaller sizes, so you can check them out before committing to a 5 lb tub.

1/2 cup of nonfat plain greek yogurt should add 9 grams of protein to your smoothie. I try to aim for over 30 grams of protein when I make smoothies, and that can only be achieved by adding whey powder.