Having an issue with letting something go....

Options
I cant seem to stay away from soda....especially when I'm at work...all i want to do is put a dollar in the machine and get a Cherry Coke, which of course is not helping with my diet whatsoever. I crave the caffeine and sweetness of it. Seems everytime I dont get caffiene in my system I get these terrible headaches until I drink something with caffiene. Need some advise as to how to overcome this or an alternative that'll help.

Thanks

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... I crave soda. I've tried to quit so many times but I swear its harder than quitting smoking.

Although lately I can go a few days with no soda just fine and not crave it. For the caffeine headaches drink some tea... it has lots of good stuff in it plus caffeine.

I'm also addicted to sweet tea :laugh:
  • SJPJ1982
    Options
    I know its not as sweet, but if you are after a caffine fix try a cup of black unsweetened coffee

Is somewhat of an acquired taste, but it wil give you a boost without adding any calories at all
  • jodieking
    Options
    I hear you. I LOVE caffine. Unfortunately i would recommend getting one up on your addiction by doing a caffine detox and going without (or if that is out of the question switch to a cup of tea a day or similar (im a fan of the sweet milky variety)) for a week or 2.
    Your headaches will get worse and you will feel like crap to begin with but afterwards, you wont be a slave to caffine and the sweet sugary goodness like you are at present.
    Good luck

And hey, if you arent willing to try that, perhaps switch to diet. you get used to it after a while...
  • Squash97
    Options
    I know it's hard. I used to drink it all day long. If you can't go without the caffiene, then here's what I do...

Make my own coffe at home and put it in the fridge. When it's cold, I pour it over ice, add a little skim milk to it (1/4 cup) and put in a flavored SUGAR FREE syrup (my flavor of choice is vanilla). I like it better than a starbucks frappacino. I hope that you're able to kick the habit. Each can has sooo much sugar and they are finding studies (I just saw this on "The Doctors") that people who drink a large amount of soda every day are having high rates of liver and kidney failure. Not good.

I also like soda for the fizzly "texture" of it, so I'll drink walkmart's "clearly American". It's a sparkling flavored water. Much better for you. No caffeine though...
  • Sitruc
    Options
    Coffee & Splenda, sugar-free cherry syrup & Coke Zero. Lifesavers. Over the last little while I would prefer Coffee and Splenda over any soda pop, diet or not, sheerly for flavour.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off Dr. Pepper by drinking tea a few times a day, and now I have gotten to where I usually only have tea a few times a week. At first I needed to sweeten it with a teaspoon of sugar (15 calories) but then my taste buds adjusted from the SUPER SWEET world they had been living in and I can drink it unsweet for the first time in my life! It's nice not to be a slave to a drink like that (except water...!)
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Jasmine green tea is natually sweet, and even my sugar addicted teen daughter likes it. No calories and has health benefits, too.
  • Banner1375
    Banner1375 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It may not work, but try coffee (for the caffeine) and crystal light for the taste (they have multiple flavors)
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love the carbonated flavored waters from stores, and you can find them anywhere. They're also cheap, and even go on sale. Last week I bought a bunch because they were only $.33! Can't beat that! I know you won't get the caffeine, but maybe this would be a good bridge for you! Good luck!
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I HAD this problem too. but one day I just said "enough!" after about the 2nd-3rd day the headaches went away. I'm able to steer clear of soda but reward myself once a week after my weigh in, if i have done well.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I had headaches for 2-3 days after cutting out soda and fast food. It was terrible but I made it through, and no headaches now!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!
  • fat_forever
    Options
    Maybe this will help you quit......sugared soda is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. HFCS reacts in your body the same was as poison does. It doesn't trigger your body to release insulin, among other things, and as such, it can lead to diabetes. Lots of foods nowadays contain HFCS, so you need to read labels and find out what does.

The obesity epidemic has been linked to the introduction of HFCS in many countries, including the US. Within one year of it's introduction, obesity started to become a problem.....in every country that it has been introduced. Do you really want to drink soda that has poison in it?

Just Google "High Fructose Corn Syrup" and see all of the articles that tell you how bad it is.
  • BellaCoconut
    Options
    Wow, just read that last post...scary! But seriously, if you can get through the first few days/ week (which are always the hardest) , you will begin to lose that craving for sweet drinks. I do not drink sodas or fizzy drinks (as we aussies call them :)) at all, and I find if I do, i find them too sickly sweet to stomach! I also agree with those who recommend coffee or tea instead- just keep them plain and with a dash of light milk if you need it. Just think the next time you're tempted, of all the empty sugar calories in those cans! good luck!! :smile: