Chinese restaurant

Options
Hi everyone!

I need your help! Tomorrow night I am going out for Chinese with my family. Can anyone give me good recommendations on what to eat? Usually I get an eggroll, wanton soup, and an entire dish of shrimp lo mein. I know this has a TON of sodium, but I love it and it's not like I eat it every day.

Just looking for other recommendations! Thanks

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    eat it and enjoy dinner with your family
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I need your help! Tomorrow night I am going out for Chinese with my family. Can anyone give me good recommendations on what to eat? Usually I get an eggroll, wanton soup, and an entire dish of shrimp lo mein. I know this has a TON of sodium, but I love it and it's not like I eat it every day.

Just looking for other recommendations! Thanks

Last time I had Chinese I checked around the MFP food database and came up with shrimp in lobster sauce and a veggie spring roll as a couple of the better choices.

Your favs don't sound awful to me ~ enjoy!
  • sjeanpayd
    sjeanpayd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chinese is a favorite for me. My research showed that the dishes with lighter sauces are less calories, and ones with more vegetables than meat. Fried items are not as healthy. Ask if brown rice is available rather than white rice. Or, just have a bit less than you would have in the past! Drink lots of tea, that will help fill you up!! And enjoy the dinner, that's the whole point. Spending time with your family.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just stay away from the rice when I eat Chinese. Some places will substitute raw cabbage for rice if you ask nice. :)
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The peel and eat shrimp and the green pepper steak is what I usually get when trying to be good, but I would have to have at least one crab Rangoon.
  • carollynch09
    carollynch09 Posts: 111
    Options
    I agree..just enjoy yourself! You don't need to 'pig out' but don't deprive yourself of the 'chinese food joy!' I'd personally have general chicken and steamed rice. :)
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I would say get what you like, just eat less of it. Take home half your meal in a box, if it's not a buffet; otherwise, just use the small bowls, not the plates. Get water to drink and drink plenty of it, to offset the sodium a bit. Enjoy the time with your family. Work out a little extra earlier in the day, if you're really concerned; but, like you said, it's not like you're eating this stuff all the time. One dinner will not undo all of your hard work.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There are always steamed veggie choices...
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If they have steamed dim sum, like har kow or sui mai dumplings. They are really good, and they have no sauce. I eat them with the hot sauce. Good luck. I go to china town and blow up like a balloon!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you wish to eat (AKA, whatever you enjoy). Try to eat a smaller portion but if you can't help it, just go ahead and splurge. Try to workout some of the excessive calories you'll be eating before or after you go to eat, if can't, just chalk it off as a bad day and move on.

Please don't limit yourself too much if you're trying to make a lifelong change in your habits. You will (hopefully not but likely) snap and go to eating poorly ALL the time if you try and restrict yourself too much.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Chow Mein No Noodles with Brown Rice.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    A good choice is Moo goo gai pan. It's a chicken dish and is very delicious. Not too bad on calories. Stay away from boneless pork ribs.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I love Moo Goo Gai Pan with a side of Kreem of Sum Yung Gai
  • deadwax
    deadwax Posts: 27
    Options
    Eat and enjoy, just don't bring home 3 days worth of leftovers like we used to do. LOL!

I would get: spicy orange chicken, Chinese vegetables, steamed rice, beef with tomato, curried squid, and a vegetarian spring roll.
  • CLL1001
    CLL1001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We're getting Chinese takeout tomorrow for dinner and I'm looking forward to it. I used to always get either General Tso's chicken or sweet and sour chicken but I decided one time to try something different (and not fried!) so I went with Beef with Chinese vegetables and it's now my new favorite. I think a lot of Chinese dishes are higher in sodium so I wouldn't worry too much about it...just drink lots of water. And like others said just order what you enjoy eating...indulgences once in a while aren't going to hurt you. Enjoy!
  • maddymartinec
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, everyone! Appreciate it!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have Chinese tonight. I'm going to have West Lake soup (only around 140 calories) and stif fried scallops with snow peas (less than 300 cals) and just half a cup of rice.
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Snow peas and sea scallops and/or shrimp is a nice treat.... it's easy on the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of steamed rice. It's really not 'cheating' at all. If you are concerned about the sodium content, just drink more water for a few days .. Enjoy!