Can't eat solid food lost 11 pounds in a week! HELP!

I am getting over a serious infection I got and my gums are still very swollen and sore and I still can't bite into anything even the chicken and in chicken noodle soup hurts my gums. I have been eating broth italian ice apple sauce and I can eat PB&J with no crust. I need higher calorie foods that won't hurt my gums even bananas and grapes hurt! I need to at least maintain or maybe lose weight at an average pace. I don't know who else to turn to!

Replies

• Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Ice cream and yogurt hurt my gums too and I am guessing it's because of the dairy but i don't really understand it.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Do you like shakes? Just for a boost and calories in between what you have been eating? Hope you feel better soon. and congrats on 99lbs. Inspirational. Hope to be there some day.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Do you like shakes? Just for a boost and calories in between what you have been eating? Hope you feel better soon. and congrats on 99lbs. Inspirational. Hope to be there some day.
    Oh I should have thought about buying some premade protein shakes. That's a pretty good idea! Thanks =]
    If you have an extra 99 pounds to lose then you can do it too!
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    1 scoop protein powder (you can buy a weight gainer as well)
    2.5 cups water
    2 tbsp. natural peanut butter (good healthy fats)

Blend it together and you'll be able to drink the peanut butter
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    I had my jaw wired shut for two months, and I lived on yogurt and soup.

Try getting/making creamy soups, or putting any soup you have through the blender. I made tons of batches of chowders, squash soups, and even spaghetti sauces (with meat), then ran it all through the blender or food processor until it was smooth enough for me to handle.

You can also do little things, like putting nut butter in applesauce to add calories and good fats or making smoothies.
  • wina1544
    wina1544 Posts: 3
    Just wondering if you can eat mashed potatoes - if you do them with butter and milk, that will add numerous calories...I hope that helps and that you feel better soon.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Do you own a blender? You could make smoothies. Try www.supercook.com - tell it what ingredients you have and search "smoothie" in the text box, it'll tell you what you can make with what you have.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Oh I should have thought about buying some premade protein shakes. That's a pretty good idea! Thanks =]
    If you have an extra 99 pounds to lose then you can do it too!

I have about 80! 10.4 down. Seems like a long road but I will get there :)
  • granolagirl
    granolagirl Posts: 45 Member
    How about smoothies made with protein powder.
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Mashed avocado packs a lot of calories, nutrition and fibre.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Avocado in the smoothies or a nut butter.

Ive seen recipes for chocolate pudding that involve avocado somehow, a quick google and you can see if its something you'd like.

If you do soups, maybe add some olive oil or coconut oil to it - or butter. Depends on the soup obviously
  • Blesmols
    Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
    This sounds absurd but I did it. I ate baby food. I read all the labels for salt content, too many carbs, etc. Some of it is actually very good if a little bland, but if your gums hurt, you may not want a whole lot of spices anyway. I also resorted to pureeing whatever suited me in my blender for a while when I was in pain. Put butter into everything you grind up for calories, if you need it. It is also possible to turn a cheeseburger into pudding when prodded by the need to eat! Good luck and bless your heart!