Tiny weight loss this week? What's happened?

Options
I've just completed my third week. My first 2 weeks I lost 3lb each week. I've just weighed myself today and I've only dropped 0.2 lb in the last week. I've been following the plan the same as I did before, kept up my excersise, and stuck to my calories, so what's happened? How is it physically possible to not have lost any weight? I just cant understand what to do?
Any help I would be grateful for :-)

Replies

• HeatherFord
    Options
    First off, I want to congratulate you on your strong will power! You are doing the right thing, however; it is very unusual for someone to reach a plateau that soon into the weight loss program.

Usually men shed lbs so fast in the beginning and then it slows down. Not sure what happened in your case though. Sorry I wasn't much of a help, just wanted to lift you up :smile:
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it!!!
    Sometimes if you have a salty meal or rice/pasta the night before weigh in you hold on to a little "water weight".

You will see the difference next week :)
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Stick to it man, but don't starve yourself, that could slow down metabolism and cause you to stop dropping intense weight.
  • wayniec
    wayniec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm the same!
    First three weeks I've lost 7lbs in total, and total I weighed myself and I'd gained 2lbs back!! It's frustrating but I'm not letting it get the better of me!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Looking at your profile pic, if that is you, you don't look to be carrying a whole lot of excess. I'd say if you're working out and doing things right that you shouldn't worry about your scales, worry about how you feel and if you're getting fitter etc.

See if there are any things you can change to balance your body more, are you taking on too much sodium?

This week I'm frustrated as well, 3rd week I've had either a small or no loss, but I also know where I've gone wrong and what I need to do to improve things. Have a good think. For me.

I gave in and ordered pizza yesterday, I still came in under my calorie goals for the day as I went for a cycle but I know pizza is very bad. I also had a kebab friday and saturday night, again I was under my calorie goals, mainly as I'd had no time to eat during the day but this means I need to plan better and not end my dj sets starving with only those certain options open to me.

More salad.

Less soda (I drink diet soda like it's going out of fashion)

Anyway that was me this week. Other things I can think of that don't help:

Processed foods. Do you eat a lot of pre-packaged meals? These are usually packed with sodium.
    Canned food - Very often packed with preservatives, one of the main ones.... yep salt.
    Alcohol, especially beer.

Don't worry too much about one or two weeks though, even if you are staying the same weight wise you might still be losing inches and getting fitter. I've been cycling quite a lot and my leg muscles are going overboard right now :)
  • stevepound
    stevepound Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm glad I havnt gone up. I just thought it was impossible to burn more than you consume and still not lose weight?! I've eaten almost the same diet as I did in first 2 weeks. Maybe I am holding onto a little water. So I need to male sure I'm not consuming sodium you say?
  • stevejwoolley
    Options
    It's happened a couple of times to me in the 5 weeks I've been dieting. Weeks 1 & 2 I lost 14lb then nothing week 3, 4lb week 4 and nothing this week. I suppose it evens itself out and the body gets used to less calories and more exercise.

If you're putting on more muscle that weighs heavier than fat so that may have an effect. I assume you're weighing yourself at the same time every week because the time of day can have an effect.

Also if you happen to eat out it can be difficult to estimate the calories.

As others have said it's a case of persevering and not getting too disheartened if you have a dodgy week.

Good Luck!
  • mikemac1977
    Options
    I think a similar thing is happening with me..

the first 4 weeks I have lost 19 lb and I have noticed the weight falling off however it seems to have slowed recently.. I am going to the doctors to get weighed tomorrow so I will find out for definate. It may be that my body is adjusting to my new lifestyle and therefore it may have slowed down for a week or so.. Definatly gonna stick at it tho as I have noticed the difference so far.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks, you tend to drop big numbers because you drop water weight - once that is normalized, you're losing fat. Think of it this way, for you to lose 3 lbs in a week, you'd have to have under-consumed by more than 10,000 calories. Which you could potentially do but wouldn't sustain long term weight loss.

Your body is probably also getting used to the new regime and so compensates for the changes that you are making. Keep it guessing and the weight will keep coming off :)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Steve-O,

I took a quick look at your food diary, and I have a few recommendations that may help. You eat a lot of processed food. That's often high in sodium. I don't see many fresh fruits and vegetables. Add those. Avoid veggies in cans - lots of added salt. Fresh or frozen is best. Avoid white carbs (potatoes, pasta). If you must have a potato, make it a yam (sweet potato), and stick to whole wheat breads and pastas. I recommend you add sodium and sugar to your tracking in your diary. If most of your sugars and carbs are coming from fruit and veggies, you're on the right track. Otherwise, you'll need to improve things. Also, make sure the entries in your log are accurate - I noticed a potato listed with no carbs? Hard to believe. Good luck!
  • bengal128
    Options
    Hi I am going through a similar thing as well at the moment. But at the beginning of my diet/healthy lifestyle change I went to a couple of weeks of not losing anything and then I'd have a 3lb weight loss in one week. the thing thats really helped keep me motivated, is I right down my weekly weight loss and I have noticed a bit of a pattern and also it spurs me on when I have had weeks of nothing and then a loss. Good luck you're doing really well.:smile:
  • stevepound
    Options
    Oh so. Shouldn't eat jacket potatoes? I had them almost every day last week!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Oh so. Shouldn't eat jacket potatoes? I had them almost every day last week!

Not overly large ones (no bigger than a computer mouse) and never just by themselves -- make sure you have a decent portion of lean protein with them (might want to skip the beans if you make your jacket potatoes that way, and go for something like chunked grilled tuna or chicken) . There are ways of reducing out the carb impact of them if you enjoy potatoes instead of cutting them out completely.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks, you tend to drop big numbers because you drop water weight - once that is normalized, you're losing fat. Think of it this way, for you to lose 3 lbs in a week, you'd have to have under-consumed by more than 10,000 calories. Which you could potentially do but wouldn't sustain long term weight loss.

Your body is probably also getting used to the new regime and so compensates for the changes that you are making. Keep it guessing and the weight will keep coming off :)

I second this!! This is why a lot of diets "fail"--you get the first couple weeks where water weight comes off, so you buy into the diet, then when your body has adjusted a bit the loss stops, and you figure "screw this, I'll try something new". To truly lose weight and keep it off, you need to adapt a "slow and steady" outlook--yes, it sucks compared to what the diet industry sells (lose weight FAST), but you're more likely to keep it off if you stick with a healthy diet and exercise plan. Like others have said, try and avoid processed food (those have minimal nutrients for the calories they supply), and balance your meals (I try and always have protein when I have carbs, because it maintains an even blood sugar so I'm not starving again in 10 minutes).

Hang in there!
  • stevepound
    Options
    Ok so I weighed myself this morning, and I have lost 2lb since last week. The human body seems to be a funny thing. So I am still making progress which is great! I've taken on board the tips u all have given me about sodium, less White carbs etc, so hopefully I'll continue to plummet towards my target weight. I'm new to this place so appreciate the support guys and gals :-)
  • kitbag101
    kitbag101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just read a great article on fat loss and 1lb of fat is equal to 3500 cals so for a 2lb loss that 7000cals out of your diet in a week well done. it also had a section on walking and weight loss very informative, that walking at 2mph burns the same cals as 4mph due to lack of momentum in the body just takes longer to complete, so shopping with the wife is worth the 3hrs of meandering round the shops is so worth it.
    I just need another 30lbs off so I am aiming for September/October time if I am lucky but did the first half in 90 days so 150 for the last 2 stone should be achievable. My main motto eat to loose and it seems to work for me and one day off a week.

ian