I'm Hungry

Options
Well, it is my first day on MFP and I've done really well so far. But I'm preparing dinner and I'm starving. I've logged all my food for the day and including dinner that I haven't eaten yet I have six calories left on my daily allowance of 1680. I haven't exercised today as I have a kid home sick.
So what I want to know is what do people do when they are REALLY hungry. How do you motivate yourself to not eat extra?

Replies

• Walshloesch
    Walshloesch Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found that drinking a large glass of water helps give you a "full" feeling, but mainly, try to choose low calorie, high fiber foods for a feeling of fullness. Also, as days go by, less food will give you a full, satisfied feeling....good luck!
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    I agree - I often mistake being thirsty for hungry. Used to make a cup of tea and have cookies. Now I try an glass of water and wait. Usually works fine.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I always eat when I'm hungry. The only exception is late at night. If it's only dinner time and you are starving, your body is telling you that you need to eat. Perhaps you were very active today taking care of your sick son? Up and about the house cleaning and bringing him 7-Ups and such? If so, you may have burnt calories that you didn't enter as exercise, and therefore have earned more calories than you realize.

My personal opinion is that it's better to eat an additional three or four hundred calories (a small dinner) than starving yourself -- resulting in a binge later or a possible abandonment of your weight loss efforts.

Additionally, if you're still learning what foods to eat, etc. you may need to stumble through the first week or two until you find the right foods to fit your calorie requirments and still help you feel full. Be patient with yourself.

.... and don't starve.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I'd also like to add that if you are reducing the number of calories you eat significantly you will likely feel hungry for the first few days or week until your body has got used to the new food regime. Before MFP I was probably eating around 1500 - 1700 calories per day. I'm now eating 1200 (+ some exercise cals) and I remember it did take me a few days to not feel hungry all the time at the start.

Stick with it and try to push past that hungry feeling. I recommend trying the water trick and also looking for low GI foods (which are generally the less processed ones) to add to your meals. Also, try to find a way to distract yourself from thinking about food :-)
  • Chikorita
    Options
    Thanks guys. I managed to hold out until dinner and even ate just what I was supposed to.
    I think it is probably just me adjusting to eating regularly and less.
  • telle12345
    telle12345 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I just eat a healthy snack, then I burn it off later. A warm drink like tea with no milk can helps curb the hunger too because you may be thirsty. I find drinking cold water when I'm hungry, just makes me more hungry!!

If you are short on time, just do some simple excercises at home, like doing step ups on your stairs at home for 10-15 mins.

It seems to work for me, I'm on track losing 1lb a week :-)

You will get used to the changes, just be patient!

Hope that helps!
  • Luckymam
    Options
    I always eat when I'm hungry. The only exception is late at night. If it's only dinner time and you are starving, your body is telling you that you need to eat. Perhaps you were very active today taking care of your sick son? Up and about the house cleaning and bringing him 7-Ups and such? If so, you may have burnt calories that you didn't enter as exercise, and therefore have earned more calories than you realize.

My personal opinion is that it's better to eat an additional three or four hundred calories (a small dinner) than starving yourself -- resulting in a binge later or a possible abandonment of your weight loss efforts.

Additionally, if you're still learning what foods to eat, etc. you may need to stumble through the first week or two until you find the right foods to fit your calorie requirments and still help you feel full. Be patient with yourself.

Absolutely agree. If you are are hungry - EAT!!!! The reason that the majority of people are overweight is that we constantly ignore our body's signals. We ignore the hunger and end up bingeing later. We ignore our 'full' signal and consume too many calories.

Hunger is your body saying it needs food. Sure, have a glass of water first to check that you're not just thirsty, but if you're still hungry after it, EAT!

.... and don't starve.
  • telle12345
    telle12345 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Eat a little or you will end up bingeing if you ignore your body!