Opinions on Clif Bars

Options
ldw5490
ldw5490 Posts: 23 Member
I've come across many mixed reviews on these. I realize they're a little high in calories, but couldn't they be used as a meal replacement? I haven't had any yet, but I did buy some. Opinions would be appreciated!

Replies

• kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest complaint is they are pretty high in sugar.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Not the first thing I would go for, but they are easy to carry around for hikes or long car rides.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Better than McDonals if you're out and about, but it wouldn't keep me full. It's a lot of cals, a lot of sugar, and not much protein. Some are only 6 gram of protein and almost 300 cals! Quest bars are 20+ grams of protein and 170-210 cals. There are lots of good options out there, but look for ones with higher protein to cal ratios - IMO
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the Clif Crunch bars, and often bring them on my bike rides -- although they get a little crumbly. I'm not sure the regular clif bars have enough protein for me to consider them a true meal replacement...maybe the clif builders (about 20g), though.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I like the Clif Builder Bars for protein, but Quest bars are by far my favorites.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I think they are yummy. I don't think I would eat them daily but it works if you're in a rush and just need to put something in your belly. If it fits in your daily goals...why not?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I like the Clif Crunch bars for when I'm hiking or need a quick snack. I wouldn't consider any of the Clif bars for meal replacements though.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    High in sugar, low in protein, very little in the way of actual health benefits. Plus they're soy based, which is something I'm not gonna mess around with. I like my hormone levels, thankyouverymuch.

That being said, the Macadamia White Chocolate Chip one is just MMMM tasty.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Eat Premier or Qwest bars.

/thread
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I just like 'em as a snack every so often. Especially after a hike. Most of my snacks are higher in protein though, like nuts with fruit or greek yogurt or veggies with hummus.

Sorry, but I'm not spending $35+ on a box of Quest bars. That's some crazy ****. Clif bars are what...$6 a box?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    high in calories for a snack, but I guess they'd be a good on the go meal replacer. And they do taste good.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    waste of money
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Delicious. I started eating my SOs stash of clif granola bars. Still prefer fiber ones though.

Eta: Lol on "as meal replacements" it's just a filler.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just like 'em as a snack every so often. Especially after a hike. Most of my snacks are higher in protein though, like nuts with fruit or greek yogurt or veggies with hummus.

Sorry, but I'm not spending $35+ on a box of Quest bars. That's some crazy ****. Clif bars are what...$6 a box?

Haha, I'm totally about to buy a box of Quest bars tonight.

That said, Cliff bars are tasty. I don't eat them for the protein tho, I eat them for tastyness.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I buy the Luna ones (made by Clif) as they are a little lighter on calories. But I only like the White Chocolate Macadamia and S'mores ones. The Clif Builder ones are better protein vs Calorie wise over the regular Clif bars.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I like Cliff bars as a snack or meal before a harder cardio nworkout. I often eat them before a longer race (like half marathon or triathlon) where I don't want a whole lot of protein or a hard running workout.

I like Quest bars, but they don't taste as good, nor do they do the same thing for the above workouts. If I'm going for protein, I like Darryl's All Natural bars.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

That said, Cliff bars are tasty. I don't eat them for the protein tho, I eat them for tastyness.

More power to you! :laugh:

I'm one o' them college kids that just can't justify the price. I'll take a protein shake any day though.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm one o' them college kids that just can't justify the price. I'll take a protein shake any day though.

I has a 10 coupon to gnc. Otherwise...it may be a different story.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

I has a 10 coupon to gnc. Otherwise...it may be a different story.

You has a smart!
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've come across many mixed reviews on these. I realize they're a little high in calories, but couldn't they be used as a meal replacement? I haven't had any yet, but I did buy some. Opinions would be appreciated!

Quest bars are the only protein bar worth buying..everything else is basically candy with some (often times crappy sources) protein added.