Daily Calorie Goals + Exercise

Options
I've been having a little debate with my Mom this evening about Daily Calorie goals and whether or not you're supposed to allow yourself extra calories for the ones you've burned at the gym.
Earlier this week I calulated my BMR, which to my knowledge is the amt of calories my body would burn if I did nothing by sleep. I feel that this is different than the number of calories I can consume in order to maintain my current weight, while my Mom believes they are one in the same.
I currently have my BMR as my calorie goal for the day, which she recommended. But the more I'm reading, the more I'm beginning to feel that may be inaccurate.
Also, when I burn calories through exercise, I take that number and add it to my calorie goal for the day, while my Mom insists I shouldn't do that. I pay close attention to net calories, and if I didn't add the 500 calories I burned at the gym to my calorie goal for the day, my net calories would only be around 700.

Can I have some help clearing this up? Thank you!

Replies

• Seamoan87
    Seamoan87 Posts: 106
    Options
    For me, I normally just eat my goal which is between 1200-1600. Usually on days I eat more (or workouts) so i'll eat the 1600 and on days I dont workout or dont feel too hungry I eat 1200 but i still have the option for 1600 because 1200 is too little sometimes, then i'm hungry all the time. But I think as long as you don't go over the overall calories (including the the ones you burned) you're fine. Just make sure you get the base goal at least. There are filling foods that are high in calories if you need that energy but don't have to eat as much. Also as you workout more especially more cardio, you're going to become more hungry, just dont over eat.

And I know your mom said one thing and the BMR said another, but I think that's on your judgement and through trial and error to see what works for you.