Hate protein shakes/smoothies?

Options
Hello all,

Just a quick question here to see if I am alone or if others are with me and can maybe elaborate as to how you go about meal replacement without the use of the dreaded shake?

I have never ever been a fan of smoothies or milk shakes and what I am drinking right now for 2 of my meals cannot in any way be misconstrued as milk shakes but they are not horrible either. I just do not like them. At a minimum I know I need one shake daily because I do believe in the formula that Shakeology has created (Not the MLM/pyramid garbage just the shake) and my trainer uses this product too. I also have been drinking one GNC Lean 25 shake daily for a meal/snack as well but I really struggle to get this stuff down and end up washing at a minimum of 1/3 down the sink.

So far I have tried to blend in, almond milk, strawberries, banana, mango, blueberries, PB2 and instant coffee. The fruits have all been frozen and are used in place of ice.

Please let me know some tricks you may have to make this a little bit easier, thanks!

Replies

• afreelandgti
    Options
    Protein shakes are not a necessity, they are a convenience. Getting your protein sources from food is just fine. If you don't like the shakes have an extra piece of grilled chicken. The shakes you're making look fine to me. Just be advised that with the amount of fruits you have in the shake and the almond milk the calories can add up, especially if the milk is the sweetened version. Also the homemade shake you're making most likely would lack the same amount of protein that the avg decent protein powder would.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Agree. Shakeology or other meal replacement shakes are unecessary. If you don't like them, don't use them. Why replace a meal when you can eat it? I use protein powder when I want protein but don't feel like cooking, but it's just another food.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no need to consume any shakes, protein or otherwise, in place of real food. These are supplements only, and are usually used when people are having trouble hitting certain macro targets (especially protein). (Also, you might want to look up some threads here with the search function on Shakeology - you might not feel so hung up on how great the formula is). Personally, I hate protein shakes and really have no use for smoothies. I'd much rather chew my food. If you don't like 'em, don't eat 'em.
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I believe I may have to agree with y'all! I am going to have to just do more whole foods vs those shakes/smoothies.