Not eating enough calories?

Options
I'm having a lot of issues eating enough calories per MFP! When I finish logging, sure, I still feel hungry but its hard for me to tell what's genuine hunger and what's just cravings. I also think that my body's just pissed off because its not getting what it WANTS. I'm terrified to increase my calorie intake per fear of overeating. Last thing, I watch my calories all day because I do 30 Day Shred before bed and that adds another 270-ish calories that I would have to eat before bed... HELP!

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It's hard without seeing your diary or your calorie allowance.

I suppose it comes down to a few factors here. Are you exercising? If so, are you eating your calories back? I assume you're aware that MFP adds the exercise calories onto your daily calorie allowance?

Are you lifting weights, or doing any kind of weight training with your diet? If so, this tends to lose inches, as opposed to actual weight on the scales, due to your muscle toning (in whatever area you're working on)

Finally, you could hit a plateau, which would mean you would indeed have to up your daily allowance. I admit, that I hate to up my calories sometimes, it feels like I'm eating for the sake of eating, but it does kick start your metabolism, so it's worth doing it for a week, check the scales, see if anything has come off.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    you don't need to eat your calories after you work out. Eat them an hour before, then burn them off xx
  • N_IT2_WIN_IT
    N_IT2_WIN_IT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's hard without seeing your diary or your calorie allowance.

I suppose it comes down to a few factors here. Are you exercising? If so, are you eating your calories back? I assume you're aware that MFP adds the exercise calories onto your daily calorie allowance?

Are you lifting weights, or doing any kind of weight training with your diet? If so, this tends to lose inches, as opposed to actual weight on the scales, due to your muscle toning (in whatever area you're working on)

Finally, you could hit a plateau, which would mean you would indeed have to up your daily allowance. I admit, that I hate to up my calories sometimes, it feels like I'm eating for the sake of eating, but it does kick start your metabolism, so it's worth doing it for a week, check the scales, see if anything has come off.

I made my diary public so you can see it. Do you have any recommendations for good meals/snacks to help out with metabolism? Thanks so much for your reply!
  • N_IT2_WIN_IT
    N_IT2_WIN_IT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you don't need to eat your calories after you work out. Eat them an hour before, then burn them off xx

Do you usually have calories left over? If so, about how many?
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When I was doing 30DS, I did it for 2 months, and I used those 2 months to slowly up my calorie intake by 70 per week. From 1400 to 1840 as of now. Hasnt messed up my progress, infact I lost %2 bodyfat in those 2 months while uping my calorie intake. I suggest you take it slow and stop where you are truely comfortable, or calculate your TTDE and work your way up to a %20 calorie deflict. This is what I did and I never feel hungry, and my cravings are usually associated with wanting junk food or a soda, which I give into %50 of the time, still again, this hasnt messed up my progress.

Here's where I calculated my TTDE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

Do you usually have calories left over? If so, about how many?

I specifically target my intake so that I break about even, or if not, at least eat my BMR. My calorie goal is 1800, as log as I eat over 1650 I'm happy
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I made my diary public so you can see it. Do you have any recommendations for good meals/snacks to help out with metabolism? Thanks so much for your reply!
    If you're working out, you should increase your protein intake, best from "real" food, not processed shakes. Cut some carbs in favour of protein. It will also make you feel more full and you'll experience less cravings.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't tell you to eat back your exercise calories because it thinks it's a good joke, or because it's a secret conspiracy to make you gain weight.

From looking at your food diary your sodium levels are far too high, you are eating virtually nothing but shakes and takeaways, and you aren't eating enough overall. Try changing some of the takeaways for home cooked food with plenty of protein as you will feel much more satisfied, and eat back your exercise calories - if you are still hungry, your body is telling you you need more food!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't tell you to eat back your exercise calories because it thinks it's a good joke, or because it's a secret conspiracy to make you gain weight.

From looking at your food diary your sodium levels are far too high, you are eating virtually nothing but shakes and takeaways, and you aren't eating enough overall. Try changing some of the takeaways for home cooked food with plenty of protein as you will feel much more satisfied, and eat back your exercise calories - if you are still hungry, your body is telling you you need more food!

Yeah, what Lauren said. You do seem to have quite a high intake of sodium. That's usually the problem you have with take outs and processed meals. I like Subways, but they usually do have a lot of sodium in (in my experience with Subway anyway) and as you know, sodium makes the body retain water. Sometimes my weight fluctuates between 1LB and 5LB a day. It levels itself out over the next couple of days.

I don't usually eat my whole exercise calories back, but I eat some of them. Best thing to do is keep your body guessing. Playing around with your calorie intake will usually keep your metabolism on it's feet, thus keeping it in a steady burning mode.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I follow the bmr and tdee method..... google or search eat more 2 lose weight... im never hungry... for me my tdee -20% is about 1800 cals :)