Worried about my upcoming holiday

Options
I'm off travelling round Europe for the next month in a week, and a festival prior to that, I really struggle eating healthily when i'm around my friends as they are so healthy and happy already and I don't want to miss out. I really struggle with saying no. I have an elastic band on my wrist that I pull whenever I see something naughty that I want to eat, which is surprisingly quite effective - but I don't tend to pull it when i'm on overdrive.
The food in mainland Europe is exquisite, my boyfriend is quite happy to eat whatever he likes and I am so worried that I will just give in a eat whatever he does. Sorry for the ramble, I just don't want to undo all my hard work! (down from 14st 4lbs to 12 st 9lbs - and only 9 to go!)
Equally I don't want this problem to take over my thoughts whilst i'm meant to be having the time of my life!
Sorry for rambling, if you're reading this thank you for taking your time out!

I anyone else out there dealt with this problem or about to do so?

Keep healthy and happy!
xx

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, just eat less of it. I went to Italy for two weeks and ate at all the restaurants. I had all the amazing, carb heavy foods, but I kept portion sizes reasonable, and I walked a lot. At the end of the two weeks, I had lost several pounds. You'll be doing a lot of walking a sightseeing, so you'll get your exercise. As long as you don't eat crazy portions, you should be fine. Try not to stress out so you can enjoy your vacation.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday that is what its for. I find when I am on vacation I eat a lot more but I am also walking a lot more around New Orleans so I actually have lost weight (and yes I include all the alcohol as well) !!!!!!

Vacations or holidays are meant to be enjoyed. One or two bad meals or even days will not ruin all your work, just like one or two good meals or good days will not make you thin. Enjoy your holiday just don't over do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday that is what its for. I find when I am on vacation I eat a lot more but I am also walking a lot more around New Orleans so I actually have lost weight (and yes I include all the alcohol as well) !!!!!!

Vacations or holidays are meant to be enjoyed. One or two bad meals or even days will not ruin all your work, just like one or two good meals or good days will not make you thin. Enjoy your holiday just don't over do it.

this!
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This isn't just about your upcoming holiday, it's about the rest of your life and how you are going to live it. May you always be blessed with opportunities for exquisite food! If I were you, I would enjoy small portions of anything worth the calories that fit your own healthy and happy time. Enjoy! Savour the sights and the company of those you love.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday don't miss out on anything. If you're off round Europe and doing a festival you should be doing a lot of walking so you will need the extra calories.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday and let's face it you'll burn some calories dancing, swimming etc etc etc.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, just eat less of it. I went to Italy for two weeks and ate at all the restaurants. I had all the amazing, carb heavy foods, but I kept portion sizes reasonable, and I walked a lot. At the end of the two weeks, I had lost several pounds. You'll be doing a lot of walking a sightseeing, so you'll get your exercise. As long as you don't eat crazy portions, you should be fine. Try not to stress out so you can enjoy your vacation.

^This. It makes it easier for you and others to not have to make something specific for yourself. Eat what every one else is eating but eat slow and eat less. I have been known to think "well im on vacation, so *kitten* it... Ill eat what I want" and it always ends up eating WAY too much and feeling horrible about it. Just be aware of portion size and you'll be fine!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm French and last time I went there I ate a lot of food... and now I realize I could have eaten much less of it. I know it will be hard next time I go, but I don't have to have 8 pieces of cheese and 2 pastries, you know?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I went to Vegas for 8 days and gained a little weight. The thing is, it wasn't worth impacting my fun worrying too much about it.

If you are hell bent on eating healthy. Try to eat healthy meals 2 out of 3 meals a day and allow yourself a high cal one once a day , eat small portions, exercise it off in the hotel gym, make sure you drink a ton of water and stay away from fizzy/sugar drinks. There are many small things that you can do to keep it in check.

Have fun!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I am also leaving for Europe for 3 weeks (and a festival) tomorrow so I know the brain process. I'm down 60 lbs and have now been eating in a deficit for a year. The way I see it is that it is a vacation. I have decided that this is a good time to take a 'diet break' I will not be logging food but I will have my FitBit to ensure that I am remaining active - Though with the schedule I have worked out we will be walking everywhere so I am not really worried about it.

I have decided that IF I gain a few pounds so be it.. No way I am going to gain back 60 lbs in 3 weeks LOL - Maybe 5 - 10 but you know what.. I have lost it before, I know how now and after a year I am pretty good with judging the amount of food that I am eating. My body has re-tuned itself to be able to accurately judge if I am actually hungry or just want to snack. I'm going to enjoy my vacation, eat 'normally' and not even worry about it.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My hubby has training for work next week in Connecticut, so the toddler and I are tagging along. I don't expect to have fantastic eating habits the entire time, because I think that's the nature of vacation. But the hotel has breakfast and I checked the room service menu, and it looks like several healthy choices. I'm checking out local restaurants - hoping to eat lots of fresh fish.

The hotel has a gym, so I'm going to try and take advantage of that when my hubby finishes his training every day. And I expect to walk A LOT with the toddler - more so to wear his butt out! At work, I'm at a desk, so just walking more every day will help with my calorie intake.

My suggestion would be to splurge on a meal when you want - when is the next time you'll be in this location, able to get the local specialty? Skip the stuff you can get at home.
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone! Im going away soon too... already started worrying. Ill try and take some of this on board