Jogging in hit weather

Options
I'm running in 28'C heat.
When I stop I feel very shivery. Is this normal? I'm drinking ample water from a hydro pack on route.
Also, do you burn more calories in the heat?
Thanks

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I'm running in 28'C heat.
    When I stop I feel very shivery. Is this normal? I'm drinking ample water from a hydro pack on route.
    Also, do you burn more calories in the heat?
    Thanks

The shivering can be due to verging on heatstroke. Drinking water is vital, however, so is sodium which gets lost in your sweat as you run in the hot weather.

It might help you if you took in some sports drinks that balance out the electrolytes during your run, see if that stops the shivering.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run in the early morning or late evening when it's cooler
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    28 is warm. Not really hot unless it's about 3pm or so. So run earlier if you feel you need to. I've run in 35c and been ok. Didn't need to drink at all along the way. Just take it easy if you are still cool though.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    That's at 9 in the morning. Can't do earlier. Will try sports drink and see. Thanks
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Can you not get up a little earlier and run? I see you said that you cannot run any earlier than 9, is there any reason why?

As someone else suggested, try sports drinks. If you don't have access to this, try flat coke, or flat Powerade or Gatorade. Earlier on this week I suffered from sunstroke. I was prescribed by the doctor to drink a whole litre of sugar/salt water. It is 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tbsp. of sugar in cold water. Try this if you start feeling like you have the flu/start shivering, what have you. It really helps.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    That's only 82F! :P

Drinking water is essential, yesterday I jogged in temps of nearly 100F (37C) and I went through several bottles.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have 3 small children so jogging earlier is not an option. I have a 9 to 11 slot, period.

And 28'C is hot for England. Guess its what you're used to which is why athletes have to acclimatise when they run abroad.

Anyhow, the question was why I was shivering so I guess I'm going with trying the sports drink suggestion.

Thanks for everyone's input.