What am I doing wrong?

Options
I am starting to worry that I am doing something wrong in my diet. I eat around 1200-1300 cals a day and I exercise 140 minutes everyday. I have been doing this for about 5 months with out a problem up until for about a week ago. Lately I have been having a lot of dizzy spells, e.g. if I stand up too quickly I start get light headed and my vision goes a bit dark. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Inadequate nutrition and hormonal imbalance.

Eat more. Exercise less than 140 minutes a day.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Erm - well, let's say you're doing fairly light exercise burning 400 calories an hour. That means you've "spent" around 930 calories doing your 140 minute workout each day. If you're only eating 1200-1300 then you're getting less than 400 calories to sustain your body during normal activity.

Do you really need more information than that?

If you do - go to a doctor.
  • wilkinsonrg
    wilkinsonrg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out your blood pressure; it could be too low (hypotension). Sometimes this happens to me, so I slightly increase my sodium intake.

Also, 140 minutes of working out is rather excessive (what is your routine??)... For a week, try tuning it down to 60 minutes a day and see if that makes you feel any better.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's called "starvation." Try eating.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    yes, eat and don't exercise as much. 60 mins is more than adequate. You're body thinks its starving, so will shut down non essential things, and will stop losing weight as it thinks it needs to hold onto it for survival.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a total of 1200-1300 or do you NET 1200-1300?

If you are only eating a total of 1200-1300 then eat more. That amount for most women is not even enough to fuel your organs and bodily functions. They would feed you that much if you were in a coma. And doing that long term is unhealthy and dangerous.

If you insist on only eating that little, then stop all exercise. Or eat more to fuel your activity level.
  • lovemehobo
    lovemehobo Posts: 28
    Options
    I cycle. thats all.
    Also @tigersword that's a bit harsh don't you think?
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    He might of come across harsh but its true. You are working out way to hard for what your eating.

Depending on levels etc, you could burn 1200 cals - and if your eating 1200 cals - its like you havent eaten.

Its all relevant. but you NEED to eat more. Excercise less.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more, exercise less and make sure you're drinking lots of water. Low BP can be due to dehydration.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Unless some of us are doctors or nurses then go see a doctor.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options

I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV :)
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

exactly....go see your doctor
    your hb could have dropped also causing the same symptoms (because low hb will also cause a drop in blood pressur.) He/she can tell, we on here cant!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor, but in the meantime while you are waiting to get in to see your doctor, eat more. I'm pretty sure you will feel better.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Potassium deficiency symptom: fainting due to low blood pressure
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I cycle. thats all.
    Also @tigersword that's a bit harsh don't you think?
    No, it isn't harsh. You wouldn't believe how many people come here.. ask effectively the exact thing... and are doing the same thing you are.

Inadequate nutrition. You aren't eating enough.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't think nutrition is related in the sense that you're not eating enough calories.

I struggled with this for years. Once it happened & I fell & hit my head & suffered a minor concussion.
    I went to the doctor & it turned out I'm anemic with low blood pressure & hypoglycemic.

Don't be like me & wait to get checked out until something severe happens!
    I now take iron supplements, do light cardio frequently to up my blood pressure, & due to my hypoglycemia I always have some candy with me in my purse everywhere I go.

So definitely get evaluated, I'd bet it's hypoglycemia or anemia.
    Start taking iron & see how you feel, & always keep sugar around

Good luck! Feel better soon!
  • kerrie49
    kerrie49 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would add a bit more salt to your diet , pretty sure that will fix it. If that doesn't stop it then go and see your doctor as it would probably have something to do with your blood pressure.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

No one has any idea why you are suddenly getting dizzy. Since you've been doing this same routine for a while and the dizzyness just began, it may be something totally unrelated. That said, I too am hoping that the calories you mentioned are net calories, otherwise, that is an issue. Good luck... Go to the doctor ASAP.
  • Senneth12
    Senneth12 Posts: 72
    Options
    Yes, you need to go see your doctor. There are quite a few possible causes for this, and your doctor will help you figure it out.

That said, I'm 5'9 and average 153lbs (throughout the month I cycle between 150 and 155) and relatively sedentary, and I maintain on about 1800 calories a day. I'd guess that 1200 calories, especially with exercise, isn't enough.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't think nutrition is related in the sense that you're not eating enough calories.

While there may be underlying issues, it's pretty evident that the OP isn't eating enough. Telling her that there is nothing wrong with her nutrition isn't accurate.

If she's working out for 140 minutes a day, multiple times per week, and only eating 1200-1300 calories, she's likely eating below BMR... and if you keep that up long enough, fun stuff happens.

OP needs to call her doctor and have a peanut butter sandwich while she's waiting to be seen.