One cheat day a week?????????

Options
I keep hearing this diet philosophy to lose weight, that you work hard and then reward yourself with one day a week as a free day. Soooooooooooo, do I get to completely spaz out on this one day or does that grant me one Bad Girl Meal. What does your typical cheat day look like?

Replies

• lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day. I eat what I want when I want as long as it fits my numbers. I just watch portions and/or adjust my other meals accordingly.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself one cheat meal on the weekend, but I still do my best not to go way over my calories with that one meal and try to still be under but I do not kick myself if I do go way over. During the week if I want a bit of chocolate, ice cream, or alcohol, ect. Ill let myself have it because I don't like feeling deprived, I just make sure I eat them in moderation and stay within my calories!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for over a year. I have never had a "Cheat Day". I think the most helpful thing I have learned from some awesome people on MFP, is that you eat a normal diet in moderation. I haven't cut out any "demonic" foods or started eating any "super fat burning" foods. I eat what I like, lift heavy & enjoy my life. I've dieted many times and lost and then regained. This time is working because it's sustainable. I encourage you to try this. Good luck.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My "cheat day" is still logged, and generally I still stay within maintenance. I usually use it to tackle foods I have wanted during the week but haven't fit into my daily calorie allotment. Since I bumped up my daily from 1200 to 1600, my "cheat days" haven't been nearly so necessary. Surprisingly, I usually only go over 100-200 cals anymore, counting eating back exercise. So whatever works for you, but I don't suggest going hog wild in a greasy spoon restaurant.
  • ev0318
    ev0318 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do a cheat meal and then I just stay on track with the rest of my day by watching portion size and counting those calories.
    I find that if I do a cheat day then it just snowballs and I feel guilty about it. It's a vicious cycle. ;)
  • into_0blivion
    into_0blivion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always have a cheat day on the weekend! It really depends how comfortable you are doing it, and how far along you've come. You can limit it to one cheat meal or cheat all day long, just watch the scale and see how your body reacts.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day. I eat what I want when I want as long as it fits my numbers. I just watch portions and/or adjust my other meals accordingly.

This. You're not a dog, don't reward yourself with food.

Also, depending on your deficit and how much you go overboard, you can blow out any deficit you've created during the week in one day. Easily.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day as well. I don't go overboard and eat everything I can shove down my pie hole! I find if I don't do this, then down the road, I will binge, and it turns ugly fast. For me, this just helps the craving. Hopefully down the road, I won't have these cravings anymore!
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There's usually one night every two weeks where I go out with my friends and don't log what I drink. I've consistantly been losing weight, so it's working. I just make sure I workout extra hard on Sundays.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you continue with the mindset that food is a "reward" then you will continue to have problems. Why not eat what you like in moderation?? Learn to eat like a normal person. Look at your food differently.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Weekly or Bi-weekly I would have a massive 24 hr refeed with a goal of hitting 1000g+ carbs...
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options

Yes! Belly rubs as rewards are preferred anyways.
  • Dharmafor1
    Dharmafor1 Posts: 32
    Options
    Personally, I limit it to a cheat meal, maybe once a week but I've been stretching it to every few weeks. I don't think I would go wild for a whole day though. I usually try to have something that is not the hardest thing to bounce back from too, but that is what works for me. Also maybe a small desert type treat if i really dont go overboard! My usual thing that i go for is good hand tossed pizza! I might have three or four slices though. Ill drink water or unsweetened ice tea with it and then that's it . No sweets! Or sometimes a big pasta dinner with soup but no dessert with it. I also stagger my calories from day to day so Between that and a few harder workouts I have a few xtra calories to spare. One thing that I do is make sure I do something to workout on my cheat day to knock out those few extra calories back off. In my experience because I stagger calories anyway, sometimes I'll notice a real slight gain the following day after a cheat day, but 2 days later it's back off and and an additional pound or so is too. I'd try starting with a meal first and see how that works. I have friends that aren't trying to lose weight. They watch their diet Monday through Friday and do whatever they want on the weekend. I don't think that would work well for me though. See what others say but good luck.
  • TotalPackageLive
    TotalPackageLive Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've never done the cheat day, but have heard many people say they do. This does help, still stay within your numbers regardless. I love all kinds of foods and love veggies most. My issue has always been that when I do indulge I have a tendency to continue too. MFP, has helped me put my goals into a realistic perspective, I can definitely say.
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have almost completed week 2 of the Carb Cycle diet by Chris Powell, the guy who does the Extreme Weight Loss show on ABC. We have one "cheat" day a week - which doesn't mean you can eat whatever you want regardless of calories, etc. Basically you alternate low carb days and high carb days throughout the week and one day a week you can eat an extra 1,000 calories to allow for foods you'd like for a treat now and then, so you do not feel deprived of your old favorites, etc. There are additional rules, foods recommended on each day, etc., but that's the basic gyst of it.

I lost 3 lbs the first week. It is working for me so far.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Cheating means you're on a diet. Diets fail. I do on occasion have a splurge where I'll knowingly go over calories, but it ultimately evens out over the week. That happened last night, a friend who was having a bad day, and just needed to say F it. Burgers, fries, and a chocolate shake. It was delicious, we had fun, it put me over calories, and I moved on. I refuse to let food make me feel guilty.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself one cheat meal on the weekend, but I still do my best not to go way over my calories with that one meal and try to still be under but I do not kick myself if I do go way over. During the week if I want a bit of chocolate, ice cream, or alcohol, ect. Ill let myself have it because I don't like feeling deprived, I just make sure I eat them in moderation and stay within my calories!

I do the same essentially. I usually do my long runs or big workouts on Saturday so that helps balance if I go out drinking with friends or something similar. In the meantime I don't have off-limit foods, I fit small indulgences into my eating during the week if I want them! Doesn't mean I eat anything I want (not having a burger + milkshake + fries + beer on a regular basis) but pick one thing I really want and work it in!
  • TotalPackageLive
    TotalPackageLive Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Weekly or Bi-weekly I would have a massive 24 hr refeed with a goal of hitting 1000g+ carbs...

What do you mean by 24hr refeed?
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    My cheat day just means munch and no workout, I normally keep it under my calorie goal though. Me and my boyfriend spend one day a week just chilling together on our day off work, normally toast for breakfast, munch through the day eg. crisps, biscuits the a quarter of a pizza for dinner :) I won't let my diet and weightloss ruin the one day a week we spend solely on eachother. :)