What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also, what are your eating habits like?
    Because since, to me, this sounds like it could be low BP-related, you ought start eating something or drinking something with REAL sugar every 3-4 hours.

So yeah, see doc, try minor iron supplementation, eat more frequently, & try adding 200-300 calories to your daily intake.
    In addition, perhaps your workouts need a lesser intensity? I'd think the intensity of your workouts are more detrimental than the time. & do you do the 140min workout all at once? Maybe try breaking it up if you can, 45min here, 60min a few hours later, etc.
  • lovemehobo
    lovemehobo Posts: 28
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbohydrates, soups and protein like eggs. I should of mentioned that I am vegetarian also and I was worried I was missing out on some sort of nutrient or something
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    While reading these responses, have a big handful of almonds and a sandwich. Seriously.
  • lovemehobo
    lovemehobo Posts: 28
    Options
    While reading these responses, have a big handful of almonds and a sandwich. Seriously.

I get it, I should eat, could you please stop berating me?
  • chanel1twenty
    Options
    I don't think nutrition is related in the sense that you're not eating enough calories.

While there may be underlying issues, it's pretty evident that the OP isn't eating enough. Telling her that there is nothing wrong with her nutrition isn't accurate.

If she's working out for 140 minutes a day, multiple times per week, and only eating 1200-1300 calories, she's likely eating below BMR... and if you keep that up long enough, fun stuff happens.

OP needs to call her doctor and have a peanut butter sandwich while she's waiting to be seen.

Haha, perhaps.

I was just speaking from my personal experience. When I was suffering from this pre-diagnosis, I was eating plenty of calories (probably more than I needed for that matter) & I still experienced this allllll of the time.
    For every 10 times I stood up, 9 times I would fall back down.

According to my physician, of course we're all different, it was due to BP, hypoglycemia, & anemia.
    So I was speaking from personal experience.

Try adding 300 calories of very iron-rich foods.

But of course we don't know everything OP does, she could be working out for 140min but it could be a lot of slow walking or light yoga & stretching.

I didn't want to assume her calorie burn was excessive just because the amount of time. Also, what's your height & weight? If you're 90lbs at 5', 1300 may be plenty.

But, disclaimer, I don't have MD nor PH.D behind my name!
    :)

Again, good luck, OP!
  • chanel1twenty
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbohydrates, soups and protein like eggs. I should of mentioned that I am vegetarian also and I was worried I was missing out on some sort of nutrient or something

Oh yes, that makes me believe even more strongly that it's iron-deficiency
  • trogalicious
    Options

1. You aren't being berated.
    2. You've been doing it wrong.
    3. You came here, asked why, and people have given you answers that could help you out.

At this point, you've already been given fantastic advice. How you choose to internalize and translate that information is up to you... but I'm being as absolutely clear as possible when I say that no one is berating you.

Working out as much as you are is burning more calories than you've been eating in a day. So that leaves your body very little energy to perform basic functions. Liver function, heart function.. etc. So Having done that for so long, you're likely going to experience some issues. It's okay. Don't be upset about it, just recognize that you're running on empty and fix it. Try eating more for now. 1600-1800 calories. If you're still dizzy, then certainly go see your Dr.

When a car runs out of gas, the light comes on and the engine eventually stops.

Your gas light is on.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

1. You aren't being berated.
    2. You've been doing it wrong.
    3. You came here, asked why, and people have given you answers that could help you out.

At this point, you've already been given fantastic advice. How you choose to internalize and translate that information is up to you... but I'm being as absolutely clear as possible when I say that no one is berating you.

Working out as much as you are is burning more calories than you've been eating in a day. So that leaves your body very little energy to perform basic functions. Liver function, heart function.. etc. So Having done that for so long, you're likely going to experience some issues. It's okay. Don't be upset about it, just recognize that you're running on empty and fix it. Try eating more for now. 1600-1800 calories. If you're still dizzy, then certainly go see your Dr.

When a car runs out of gas, the light comes on and the engine eventually stops.

Your gas light is on.

LOL, your gas light is on. Perfect. I'm stealing that one trog.
  • chanel1twenty
    Options
    Don't feel belittled or berated!
    I hope I didn't make you feel that way.

The almond & pb sandwich comment, to me, seemed like a humorous way to tell you to eat nutritiously is all.
    It's actually a good idea! That would be an extra 200+ calories in protein & good fat!
    But, I'm gonna say it again, iron iron iron!

Since you don't eat red meat, add in iron-fortified cereals, egg yolks, chick peas/lentils/beans/soy beans, oysters/clams/scallops (assuming you do seafood), dark leafy greens, artichokes, nuts, squash, dark chocolate...I read that 2.7mg of tofu is 15% of you recommended DV of iron!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    We are certainly concerned about you and are offering the advice that you asked for. Malnutrition is serious. I know you did not intend to malnourish yourself, but it seems you did. There is a very easy fix.
  • udderlyfantastic
    udderlyfantastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi hun,

I really think the advice you need is medical expertise. You need to speak to a doctor, tell them exactly what you have been doing, what you are eating and drinking and how exactly you are feeling. It sounds like postural drop in blood pressure and there can be several reasons for that. One as simple as not drinking enough fluid to others that are far more serious. You need a full medical examination, with blood tests to check for anaemia, thyroid levels, urea and electrolyte balance, hormone levels, liver and kidney function. Then your doctor will be able to give you the correct advice to either treat or avoid the problem. Although your MFP friends want to help you,none of them are qualified to do so without a medical qualification and an examination. Your doctor is! It is possible that this could be serious, although it probably isn't and you should see someone soon to put your mind at rest.

Good luck!
  • udderlyfantastic
    udderlyfantastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned I'm a medical nurse with 30 years experience and I wouldn't attempt to tell you what's right for you to do to put it right without being able to access tests , take a full medical history and being able to examine you, and neither should anyone else, because if they're wrong it could be drastic! Go to the doctors sweetie, it's the best and safest way for you. And, if it is just a matter of eating more, hey can refer you to a dietician to give you pointers with your vegetarian diet.

Take care and try not to let this get you down hun. X
  • Kiramia
    Kiramia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a) eat a peanut butter sandwich?
    what if OP is asthmatic or allergic to peanut butter?
    I can tell you OP is asthmatic and peanut butter sets it off.

b) exercise less eat more is vague.
    OP may have been doing exact same thing for over a month and symptoms are recent.
    I can tell you this is the case. OP has not changed routine for some time and symptoms are new.

Perhaps OP should have asked her mother if she has any idea what is going on! Family history is an important factor!
    Highly likely OP has low iron levels and low sugar levels. PCOS is another factor OP has to consider!
    OP's family history includes all of the above.

So my advice is start taking iron supplements, look at diet and eat more foods with fibre that are going to sustain and keep sugar levels more even and consistent, drink more water and cut down on caffeine.

Thank you to those who suggested OP seek doctors advice, as if none of my advice helps then yes OP should go and see her doctor.
    To OP you shouldn't have posted if you are going to take offense at harsher comments, in these forums you should have expected it!!!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Then they can eat whatever they want. What if OP doesn't have teeth? WHATEVER WILL THEY DO THEN? Soup? Whatever the case, my response to eat a pb sandwich was merely a "you need to eat." My apologies for offering a recommendation for peanut butter. I'll certainly take note of this for the future.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Unless some of us are doctors or nurses then go see a doctor.

I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV :)

I'm a nurse, but I'd rather be staying at a Holiday Inn Express right now.

Agree that you should discuss this with your doctor.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: have you had a physical recently? what you are describing could have many causes! i am sending a friend request your way & perhaps we could talk more about this!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

b) exercise less eat more is vague.
    OP may have been doing exact same thing for over a month and symptoms are recent.
    I can tell you this is the case. OP has not changed routine for some time and symptoms are new.

Perhaps OP should have asked her mother if she has any idea what is going on! Family history is an important factor!
    Highly likely OP has low iron levels and low sugar levels. PCOS is another factor OP has to consider!
    OP's family history includes all of the above.

So my advice is start taking iron supplements, look at diet and eat more foods with fibre that are going to sustain and keep sugar levels more even and consistent, drink more water and cut down on caffeine.

Thank you to those who suggested OP seek doctors advice, as if none of my advice helps then yes OP should go and see her doctor.
    To OP you shouldn't have posted if you are going to take offense at harsher comments, in these forums you should have expected it!!!
    Right. Symptoms are new, the cause is most likely the same. Malnutrition isn't an instant response to not eating much for a day. It's a response to constant deprivation of nutrients that builds up over several months. Maybe you should spend less time talking about what you "know" about the OP, and spend more time learning about nutrition and human health.