I can't do pull ups :(

Options
I knew I couldn't do pull ups but, yesterday my trainer had me do pull ups with a resistance band. I could only do 3 and it was probably the most weighted band they have. I feel defeated.

I have a pull up bar at my house so i can practice beating this lol.
How can I practice at home without a resistance band? or should I just buy a band so its the same as the gym (obviously only until I can do unassisted... whenever that happens)

Replies

• Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it at home and don't have a band, use a chair for support.
    If you put it sort of out in front of you so that you bend your leg to touch the back and use your legs to help (slightly) and use your arms at much as possible, you will get better!
    When I started doing pull-ups, I couldn't even lift my body at all. Yesterday I did 4 without any support! So keep at it, you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your trainer which exercises you can do to build up those muscles. Use heavy weights and get those muscles in shape and then knock his socks off!
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could practice assisted pull-ups at the gym until you have enough strength to do them with resistance bands (which is harder -- more of your body weight involved). These things take time. I still can't do more than ONE unassisted. I don't feel like a failure, nor should you. Practice makes perfect -- and strong :-)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do a pull up in my life, and at my age, I'm not about to start because it's just not important to me.

If it's important to you, I'd follow what Kim said and talk to your trainer.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel defeated for not being able to do a pull up. Pull ups require a lot of strength! I can't do them either but I have worked my way up to be able to do negative pull ups lowering myself slowly :happy: I can't wait to reach my goal of doing true pull ups and chin ups :smile:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/
  • christina_jane
    Options
    Jumping pull ups are a good way to build up that strength while you're at home.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DTCdOztgQ
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love that band! Just purchased one for at home! For the first time in my life I am at least able to do the motion of a chin up! I feel like a success, not a failure. Stay with it! It will get easier!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Inverted rows FTW. I've recently started doing them and hope to someday work my way up to pull-ups

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/06/inverted-row-are-you-missing-out-on-this-great-exercise/
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Definitely use a chair on your bar at home.

They use a completely different muscle in the body and it has probably lain dormant forever. Mine had!

Lots of practice with the chair, get towards your goal weight, and they'll be easy! :)

I couldn't do one when I started P90X. Now I can about 10. But then I'm still not near my goal weight so I have more to pull up lol
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    Take a look at this: http://www.fitstream.com/exercises/flexed-arm-hang-a6040

(flexed arm hang)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Try doing negatives. Get yourself above the bar (using whatever means necessary) and then slowly lower yourself down (taking two or three seconds to do so). You might feel it afterward, so be warned.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I still can't do a pull up. Chin ups are much easier for me. Negative chins and inverted rows helped me get to my first chin up! You got this!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    My personal "I wouldn't go there" would be jumping pullups where you jump up to the bar and lower down slowly. Especially if you are low in strength and in any way overweight, this puts a shock loading on your tendons - which is not good.

By all means perform negatives but by standing on a chair so you are at the high point of the pullup - chin over the bar - and slowly lower to 4 or 5 breaths on the way down.

Also, invest in a set of resistance bands and maybe use two of them so you can get a set of say 6 pullups so you have something to build on, then drop one band so you can only do 3 maybe to keep intensity up.

Keep at them and you will slowly see yourself doing unassisted pull-ups.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My personal "I wouldn't go there" would be jumping pullups where you jump up to the bar and lower down slowly. Especially if you are low in strength and in any way overweight, this puts a shock loading on your tendons - which is not good.

By all means perform negatives but by standing on a chair so you are at the high point of the pullup - chin over the bar - and slowly lower to 4 or 5 breaths on the way down.

Also, invest in a set of resistance bands and maybe use two of them so you can get a set of say 6 pullups so you have something to build on, then drop one band so you can only do 3 maybe to keep intensity up.

Keep at them and you will slowly see yourself doing unassisted pull-ups.

I went from not being able to do one to being able to bang them out purely by way of training with a suspension trainer (doing bodyweight based row progressions on it which eventually led to full pullups)
  • REMagness
    REMagness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pull-ups are a butt-kicking exercise; upper back, arms, and a lot core! Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of with your initial results! There are work-out programs on the web to help build your pull-up results, probably can be found on MFP too, under 20-25 pull-up challenge. Looks like one of the best ways is to start doing 'negatives', jump to the 'up' position and return to the bottom as slowly as possible, then repeat! Remember, you're challenging yourself and not competing against others!

Keep up the good work!
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It would be best to just buy a band if you want to do them at home. If you can't afford it you can have someone spot you by getting behind u and holding your legs.
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    I can't either. My arms are like wobbly noodles, but I am getting stronger every day, and one day I will be able to! Keep Trying!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You could practice assisted pull-ups at the gym until you have enough strength to do them with resistance bands (which is harder -- more of your body weight involved).

I love the assisted pull-up/chin-up machine. It's the only way I can get a feel for what the real thing must be like. I don't have a lot of upper body strength and have joint issues so I don't know if I'll ever be to do them unassisted.

I saw an article a month or two ago questioning how important it really is to be able to do pull-up or chin-up, but I'm going to keep trying.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, the trainer had me doing inverted rows on the TRX but my pride got the best of me and I wanted to try to do the pull ups lol.

I'll try that, the chair and probably buy some bands this weekend.

and yes, I do care, and it is important to me. Everyone has different goals and benchmarks they want to accomplish, and thats one of mine
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I can't either.....I can do them with close grip, bc it uses my biceps, but for lats, I am still working on it.
    I am 10 lbs away from pulling my weight on the Lat pull down.

Keep workin on it....and try doing lat pull downs and bent over rows